Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2018, 01:21 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ricoh Lost in Space

Well..it looks like we know where the Pentax/Ricoh advertising went.

Seems like Will Robinson took their Ricoh (Pentax WG) into space - and got lost.

Watch for this on Netflix - Lost in Space.

---------- Post added 04-14-18 at 12:22 PM ----------

First!!!!

04-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good eye. I watched a couple of episodes last night but didn't catch it.
04-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well..it looks like we know where the Pentax/Ricoh advertising went.

Seems like Will Robinson took their Ricoh (Pentax WG) into space - and got lost.

Watch for this on Netflix - Lost in Space.

---------- Post added 04-14-18 at 12:22 PM ----------

First!!!!
Thanks for the reminder. I have been waiting for this. The original series was lame, but the trailer for this one looks like a completely different beast.

Good catch, BTW

Steve
04-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There was much to like...and much to hate about this new series. I binged it today, and I think with a little tweaking it could be great...right now, not so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Good eye. I watched a couple of episodes last night but didn't catch it.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for the reminder. I have been waiting for this. The original series was lame, but the trailer for this one looks like a completely different beast.

Good catch, BTW

Steve

04-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Off topic, but I finally plucked up enough courage to ask someone.

Over the last few years I have been reading this sort of gramar more and more and it seems it is becomming the new norm.

Will Robinson took "their" Ricoh... should this not be took "his" Ricoh... and if Will Robinson is female "her" Ricoh ? Please don't be offended, I just need to find out.

Regards
04-15-2018, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

First!!!!
No, that was episode 8 or 9
It's also in episode 1, when Will first find the ship and plays the footage shown in episodes later on.
Question is, was that footage actually shot on the WG-5

And,... Where TF is any brand promotion leading up to the show's premiere, CaNikon would have been having articles talking about how their product was the right one for the job, advantages to using it, shots of the actors using it,..

Internet searches for "Lost In Space" +Ricoh, this thread is basically the only result.

---------- Post added 15-04-18 at 05:37 PM ----------

Oh/And, loved the show.
Bill Mumy posted stuff about it, but never mentioned his cameo as the new 'real' Dr. Smith in episode 1
04-15-2018, 02:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ricoh Lost in Space

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Off topic, but I finally plucked up enough courage to ask someone.

Over the last few years I have been reading this sort of gramar more and more and it seems it is becomming the new norm.

Will Robinson took "their" Ricoh... should this not be took "his" Ricoh... and if Will Robinson is female "her" Ricoh ? Please don't be offended, I just need to find out.

Regards

It can be confusing sometimes. There are too many rules for the english language. They were using “their” as a form of ownership. Saying the camera is most likely the family’s camera, it would be correct using “their” instead of “his”. “Their” is implying that the posession of the camera belongs to the family and not the boy Will Robinson. Now if the boy Will Robinson was the owner of the camera you would be correct in using “his”. At the same time if Will was a female, you could use “her”. Hopefully that helps a little bit.

04-15-2018, 04:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You beat me to it LaurenOE. I saw the episode myself last night. That is where I noticed it.

---------- Post added 15-04-18 at 14:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
No, that was episode 8 or 9
It's also in episode 1, when Will first find the ship and plays the footage shown in episodes later on.
Question is, was that footage actually shot on the WG-5

And,... Where TF is any brand promotion leading up to the show's premiere, CaNikon would have been having articles talking about how their product was the right one for the job, advantages to using it, shots of the actors using it,..

Internet searches for "Lost In Space" +Ricoh, this thread is basically the only result.

---------- Post added 15-04-18 at 05:37 PM ----------

Oh/And, loved the show.
Bill Mumy posted stuff about it, but never mentioned his cameo as the new 'real' Dr. Smith in episode 1
I didnt notice it in episode 1. I guess because the forest shot was to dark to see it.
But I did notice it in episode 4 or was it 5.
04-15-2018, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So watched the first three episodes last night. The Dr. Smith character is by far the worst. The role has yet to serve any purpose. She has no agenda except to get away from everyone. Let her go. It makes no sense when you are alone on a new planet. How in the heck does she survive? They also DO need a few firearms. Like it or not they are in the middle of some sort of war. And the dad knows a lot more about survival situations than the mom. So when his skills are needed, mom should shut up instead of constantly challenging him in front to the family. Take if offline and talk elsewhere about it. Work it out. Their pending divorce is no longer an issue. They are stuck with each other. Let her fix the warp drive and he can patrol the perimeter. Since the robot does seem to carry some sort of infinite power source to do whatever needs to be done, perhaps they should plug the ship into it.

But it is TV so you shut off reality and just watch the show. My wife is hooked on it, and one of the secrets to a long marriage (41 plus years) is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.
04-15-2018, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Both are proper grammar, though general use of the singular possessive form of "their" is a recent resurrection of archaic usage for the purpose of inclusive language. It often works well except when plural vs. singular is not contextually clear and agreement is needed.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-15-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: grammar and clarity
04-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Treat it as fantasy and all is good

There was much to like...and much to hate about this new series. I binged it today, and I think with a little tweaking it could be great...right now, not so much.
I have only viewed the first two episodes and my early take is:
  • Like the casting
  • Like most of the special effects
  • Like the plot twists, both obvious and inferred, presented thus far
  • Don't like that the point above requires extremely careful attention to the action...no turning away to make coffee
  • Like the attempts at humor
  • Liked use of an existing avalanche track for the setting of the alien crash site
  • Don't like the continuity lapses
  • Don't like the inattention to detail such as vehicle tracks and logged stumps visible in the frame
  • Don't like the incredible lapses in scientific/technical fact (e.g. I have used a "cable saw" and no, one does not saw halfway through a 10" log in 30 seconds...also, magnesium and ice do nothing more together than magnesium and water...probably less, to be truthful...assuming one might actually find a vein of native magnesium metal)
  • Don't like that people are sitting around in the snow freezing to death with their hoods down and obvious shelter at hand
  • Don't like the blatant product placement (could the Oreos bag be any brighter?)
Still though, considering that the original 1965 concept was high on fantasy, this is a very entertaining effort. Oh, and I REALLY like the Chariot.

Steve
04-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
And the dad knows a lot more about survival situations than the mom. So when his skills are needed, mom should shut up instead of constantly challenging him in front to the family. Take if offline and talk elsewhere about it.
Too much like real life for my tastes.

I haven't watched it, but if it isn't obvious that the camera is a modified WG-50, Ricoh probably didn't pay for the product placement (what percentage of viewers even know what a WG-50 is?).
04-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I haven't watched it, but if it isn't obvious that the camera is a modified WG-50, Ricoh probably didn't pay for the product placement (what percentage of viewers even know what a WG-50 is?).
The WG is pretty much blacked out (see Lauren's image above) and the Ricoh name is obvious. I vote for product placement even if the pictured unit is a fully stock, but discontinued WG-M1.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-15-2018 at 01:22 PM.
04-15-2018, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"their" is a recent resurrection of archaic usage for the purpose of inclusive language.
Hi, thanks for the reply

Steve, I know all that.
But what does not sit well with me is grammar I see almost daily now when I read the paper.

Examples:
"The delivery man tripped over a garden hose and he broke their arm"
"The woman was attacked with a knife and the attacker ran off with their mobile phone"
"The man that was driving the car that was observed by police was pulled over. The driver had their licence..."

In my native English it ought to read:
"The man "who" was driving the car "which" was observed by police was pulled over. The driver had "his" license..."

This is the sort of grammar I am referring to and it troubles me.

Cheers
04-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh yeah...like I called out...REALLY how many times do we need to know OREOs are part of the plot line!

I have only viewed the first two episodes and my early take is:[*]Don't like the blatant product placement (could the Oreos bag be any brighter?)
Steve