Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2018, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am thinking that jpeg is a whole new challenge so I have decided to run with the lightly ruffled raw files at least then I can experience the personality of the lens within fixed parameters
I think that's a good call.

Of course, you're going to want to do some processing with any RAW file. Where modern lenses are concerned, you can often go with presets you've stored, as they're remarkably consistent these days in terms of colour, contrast, sharpness etc. But with vintage lenses, you might want or need to be a little more specific in your processing. Some of those lenses are soft, others sharp; some produce low contrast images, others not so, etc.

At least with the RAW file, you're starting off with a fairly blank slate and can work from there to produce images you're happy with

04-17-2018, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding altering the character of the lens in post: It really depends what you do and what you're after. I think colour grading etc shouldn't destroy the character or you would have had to stick to the same film and never change that. For me the character mostly lies in the contrast and bokeh (and other characteristics of course, depending on the lens!). I feel like adding more contrast can take away lots of character and I frequently find myself lowering it.

Mind, I've now been using vintage (and antique) glass for a couple of years and am finally trying to get myself to process colours more. I feel like it got a bit boring without changing much and I haven't felt like I took anything away from the lenses characters.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...cereal or eggs when shooting with vintage glass? )
I might try a breakfast suitable to the country of the lens' origin someday and see what I get!
04-17-2018, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #18
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I vote for shooting RAW all the time.
It takes a computer to see either a RAW image or a JPEG, something has to process it.
For evaluation - the more data the better and RAW will give you all of the data off of the sensor. With this data you can choose which parameters to manipulate/evaluate in the image.
With JPEG you are leaving the manipulation/evaluation to what some engineers at a single point in time (Prime I, Prime III, Prime IV etc.) engineers cooked into the body.
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Another nail in the JPEG compared to RAW conversation.

Why shoot RAW? | Capture One Blog

Just saying:
04-17-2018, 10:40 PM - 2 Likes   #19
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is really a pointless viewpoint. After all if you really want to see the original characteristics of that lovely old glass then you need to be on full frame. Do what you are used to and understand that you have to try just a little harder to get a great image out of the manual lenses. But once you have the hang of it then "Oh the simplicity" and "oh the rewards"!

04-18-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IMHO....always shoot raw (or raw+)....I have gone back to pictures I took years ago when I first bought my K-7 and now curse younger Charlie for shooting only in JPEG...Raw post software just gets better and better.