Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thieves steal Pentax but leaves diamonds alone!

Thieves hit my home during the day when nobody was home today and stole my stuff.

# Wife's stuff: her jewelry including some diamonds were strewn about but NOT taken !!! what the bloody hell....

# My camera and lenses - ALL GONE: They also hit 3 other houses, per police, never had any issues in this 'nice' area b4. Here are the items they stole from our house:
Two Pentax K-5, a K-3
Pentax 50-135, Pentax 12-24, Pentax 10-17, Pentax af540 flash
Pentax 70, Pentax 35, Pentax 15 primes.
Tamron 17-50, Tamron 28-75
Sony a7rii, Sony 24-70, Sony 55, Sony rx100iii, Sony rx10ii
Sony flash.

Worst thing 1: I had all my pentax gear (except the k3 and 50-135 and 15mm) which I could not bear to part with packed up to donate to a Veterans group that helps vets with ptsd recover through photography...
Worst thing 2: my wife has been telling me for a while to just use one system pentax or sony to stop buying so much stuff. Hence the above except keeping 3 items...Not sure I will get back to pentax now...
Worst thing 2: My wife wants to know how much these all cost. She has no clue and she will get a heart attack so I am too afraid to calculate at the moment...[GULP]

04-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is how they broke in, threw a rock onto my back door; no, we did not have alarms etc, nobody in our neighborhood does due to no issues before...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s Plus  Photo 
04-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Here is how they broke in, threw a rock onto my back door; no, we did not have alarms etc, nobody in our neighborhood does due to no issues before...
Sorry to hear about your loss. Homeowners policy going to be any help if they aren't recovered soon?
That is one way to minimize the anger of SWMBO.
04-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this might not help much but you might try it in case someone find a gear with your reported serial number on it, they can help tip it off. sorry for your loose
Lenstag - Protect your camera equipment, images and help make the world safer for photography on iOS, Android and the web.

04-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #5

That sucks, and now your wife will know the cost of your GAS/LBA. Hopefully insurance covers it. Strange that they left jewelry behind.
04-17-2018, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn, so sorry to hear. I had a lot of gear stolen from me a couple years back, and I was completely devastated. My only advice is to keep an eye out on ebay, offerup, facebook sales pages, and craigslist. Also put whatever detective they assigned you, hold their feet to the fire. Mine was terrible and I ended up doing most of his job for him. Moving forward with whatever gear you get as replacement, take pictures of all serial numbers. PICTURES. Don't write them down. Also mark your camera and/or lenses in a way that only you'll recognize. That way you can prove sales pics online. Also think about tagging the camera in a hidden place like in the battery compartment. These are some things that I've implemented in my experience having my gear stolen and recovering some of it that was sold online.
is for you having to come clean to your wife. Those are totally my same exact fears.
Lastly I truly hope you're able to recover your gear. If you have recorded your serial numbers, please share them and I for one will keep an eye out.

Last edited by geomez; 04-18-2018 at 09:07 AM.
04-18-2018, 04:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for advice. Will monitor eBay local pawn shops. Had written a few serial numbers somewhere, still searching.

04-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #8

For the Pentax cameras as least, the serial numbers are in the metadata of each photo you've taken. Exiftool will allow you to view the serial numbers.
04-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Thanks all for advice. Will monitor eBay local pawn shops. Had written a few serial numbers somewhere, still searching.
how long ago and where did you get your equipment from ?

perhaps prior owner/store might have records of serial numbers??

might be worth contacting them
04-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thx. Looking through records and will be contacting the major online ones that I have bought from.
04-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
this might not help much but you might try it in case someone find a gear with your reported serial number on it, they can help tip it off. sorry for your loose
Lenstag - Protect your camera equipment, images and help make the world safer for photography on iOS, Android and the web.
one of the nice things about Lenstag

is that you submit a photo showing the serial number of the equipment to verify your ownership
so if you keep that photo, you have the serial number

good luck
04-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you might compare the cost of your equipment versus the cost of her jewelry before you say anything to her about what your gear cost. So sayeth the single guy 8-)
04-19-2018, 12:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I had something similar happen to me in 2012. Weeks later I ended up finding some of the stolen items, such as an engraved iPod, at a local video game store. It's what prompted me to go mirrorless with my digital gear for a few years. Until I was robbed, I had a Konica Minolta 7D, but I had decided to not take it on a trip with me due to the bulk and weight. I -really- miss that camera. But, mirrorless fixed the bulk and weight issue.
05-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My house was also broken into last week while I was asleep, they got my k3/grip/55-300 lens among other items in my house and garage valuing a total of $4k. It sux but kind of my fault .....I got complacent on my home security. Luckily my homeowner's ins is covering it. I am even thankful they didn't find the bulk of my photography equipment or I would for sure be crying.
05-28-2018, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
My house was also broken into last week while I was asleep, they got my k3/grip/55-300 lens among other items in my house and garage valuing a total of $4k. It sux but kind of my fault .....I got complacent on my home security. Luckily my homeowner's ins is covering it. I am even thankful they didn't find the bulk of my photography equipment or I would for sure be crying.
No. It isn’t even remotely your fault. You shouldn’t victim blame, especially when you are the victim.