Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2018, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I'm sure there's a lot of those kind of in-actions.
Like the dolphin that came up in front of the yacht, and I was looking at a Snowy Egret.

04-22-2018, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Told this one in another thread a few weeks back - went to transfer some files from my JPEG card to my laptop and they were GONE!!! I had read another post earlier that dealt with missing SD card files so I was sure I had the same issues. Then I went to my DNG card to get the files, very disturbed that I would have to convert all of 200 files to JPEG for a person who wanted them that way. When I tried to transfer, the files already existed on my laptop and then it came back in a flash that I had transferred both JPEG and DNG files the day before only when I had done it, I hit CUT instead of COPY for the JPEG files. No files on the SD card - just check some memory circuits to see if they got lost - brain memory

All my files were on the laptop and I was a happy camper.
04-22-2018, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Back in the 35mm days...around 1979 I think.... I was out at a marsh. I had my film Pentax ES ll with my 'long' distance telephoto attached, which was a 90-230mm lens.

Slowly stalking through the marsh...I came across a Great Blue Heron that had just caught a fish. It was poised to flip the fish ...so that it would travel down the Heron's gullet.... head first and at the perfect moment...with the tail end of the fish sticking out of the Heron's beak...I advanced the film...it wouldn't advance...I had come to end of the 36 frame roll.

In the '80's I rented...for a weekend... a Pentax 6 X 7 body with the 90 mm leaf shutter lens. I was burning through the rolls of film pretty well from sun up to sunset. The first evening I mounted the heavy 6 X 7 and lens on my one and only tripod... a light duty travel tripod. I was just about to click the shutter...when the tripod head broke and head and 6 X 7 body/ lens...slowly...fell forward. Fortunately I was able to grab camera, lens and broken tripod before everything toppled to the ground.

Next morning I went out to the local camera store (remember those ) and bought robust Leitz Tiltall...which I still have and use to this day and I have had absolutely no problem with this tripod.
04-23-2018, 11:41 AM - 5 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

In 1989 my aunt gave birth to a baby boy who was not expected to survive for long because of heart problems. He underwent surgery that was at the ragged edge of what was possible in those days, and I shot a roll of Kodachrome 64 of her with him. . . just in case.

It was only when the processed film came back from Kodak a couple of weeks later that I realised that my K1000's meter had still been set to ASA 400 from the last roll of Tri-X that I'd shot, so that the Kodachromes were over two stops underexposed. It was, beyond any doubt, the most gut wrenching photographic screw-up of my life.

The good news is that the baby survived, and that medical science has managed to keep up with him ever since, and that he is now a fit and healthy grown-up who is a good-hearted man in every possible sense of those words. And, thanks to DSLR scanning with a very long exposure, I've now been able to restore those murky old Kodachromes to look the way they should have done at the time.

Modern technology is truly amazing, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

04-23-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Not being passionate with my "Ladies" enough.
04-23-2018, 06:23 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have bought, sold and bought again the same camera model or lens that just didn't suit me.
Not surprisingly, it was never any better the second time around...

Chris
04-23-2018, 09:49 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've hurried to a nice location when I see the sky developing into a nice sunset only to realize there is no card in the camera when I try to take a shot.

04-24-2018, 08:07 AM - 4 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Switching lenses back and forth, trying to take telephoto shots using macro settings and vice versa. But one time it did actually work!

Tamron 90mm macro, 1/800, f8
04-27-2018, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Dartmoor Dave's underexposed Kodachrome reminded me of a similar experience.

Way back in the eighties, I visited a holiday resort in a remote place. The little tourist shop had a 24 exposure roll of Kodachrome 64 in stock. It was a few months past the expiry date and I got it for a really good price. It went into my bag for future use.

A couple of weeks later I was invited to shoot a rock concert. I used Ektachrome 400, pushed to 800. All went well, except that I ran out of film with a bit of concert left. So the K64 went back into the camera and I could continue shooting. K64 was very ill suited for the purpose. It could not be pushed. But what the heck, I was out of film.

I duly sent off the roll to Kodak for processing. It came back looking very thin. Most frames were underexposed but there were a couple of usable shots. Not too bad a result. I wasn't expecting much anyway. The Ektachrome rolls delivered the goods, anyway.

Accompanying the box of slides was a letter from the Kodak lab, profusely apologizing for the poor results. It was not up to Kodak standards, they said. By way of apology, they sent me a brand new roll of Kodachrome!
05-03-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

little sins:

Choosing the cheapest polarizing filters I can find.
Spending too much time and money trying find matching caps and cases for old lenses.
Not taking the time to become proficient at post processing digital photos.
Spraying and praying.

big sin:

Not making backup copies of several months of digital photos - and suffering the consequences when my hard drive failed.
05-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Letting the battery in the grip run down between uses of my K-1.
05-14-2018, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #42

Mrs. Rookie and I took a Rhine River cruise when I was stationed in Germany. Fairytale land with castles and ruins every 6 feet on both banks. And I didn't load the film right. I "took" probably 40 pics before I realized that.
05-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #43

Taking backup for the backups backup for a simple shoot.
05-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I have been lusting after lenses that I do not need. I now have every 50mm lens in the Pentax M series, except for the f/4 macro, that is. I 'need' one to join the f/1.4, f/1.7 and f/2 in my collection. There is one on sale near me but it is not exactly cheap. The thing is, I already have the A 50mm f/2.8 macro. That means that I cannot justify the M 50mm f/4 macro in any way.
05-15-2018, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have been lusting after lenses that I do not need. I now have every 50mm lens in the Pentax M series, except for the f/4 macro, that is. I 'need' one to join the f/1.4, f/1.7 and f/2 in my collection. There is one on sale near me but it is not exactly cheap. The thing is, I already have the A 50mm f/2.8 macro. That means that I cannot justify the M 50mm f/4 macro in any way.
Do you have another Tessar? There's your justification :P