Just silly little 'sins' pertaining to photography, like:

• Bought a lens, never used it
  • Keeping usable gear out of use
  • et cetera

04-21-2018, 07:12 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
  1. Having no backup for equipment I regularly use.
  2. Having backups for things I rarely use.
  3. Owning way too many camera bags - no matter what project i'm on there is never just one bag that can carry it all in a practical manner.
  4. Leaving batteries in my cameras even when I have mothballed them for several months.
  5. Eyeballing flash exposure too much - With a single light+ambient I suppose is excusable, i'm pretty accurate. However I still use meters when working with more than 2 flash heads.
  6. Owning too many tripods and tripod heads.
04-21-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have two tripods, but rarely use them.
04-21-2018, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #4

Photos: Albums
Having your brand new camera set for back button focus, forgetting you did, then getting frustrated and thinking something is wrong with the camera because it won't focus when you half-press the shutter button.

04-21-2018, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought a brand new PZ-1p for parts (15 years ago) and still have it unused along with my original PZ-1p (almost perfect working order) and a new K-1 (thinking about buying another K-1 for parts). (PS - no e-mails about taking a PZ-1p off my hands or selling me another K-1).
04-21-2018, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

having devised " safety back up system " in case sling/strap/attachment fails

but failing to have such system " engaged " when failure occurs

result of dropping K 3 + SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM from my waist ( I'm 5' 11" ) onto concrete sidewalk:

[ very lucky ] scratched outer rim of safety filter ( no damage to front threads of lens ) and broken hood attachment requiring new hood, no other problems
04-21-2018, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #7

Own a nice pile of old manual Pentax primes I never use because of various flaws, and mostly because, when it comes down to it, I prefer autofocus.

Own several Pentax film bodies I used for a couple months, and now collect dust with unfinished rolls inside.

Bought a ton of UV filters for my pentax lenses, then decided I didn't like the UV filters....

Own a Rokinon 85 1.4 I got for my birthday, which I used for a week or two, and now sits unused because I like the autofocus 77 limited.

04-21-2018, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

formatted an SD card once years ago. Never did it again.Ain't nobody got time for that, lol.
Apparently in the thousands of images ive shot on dozens of cards, everything still works fine, lol.
04-21-2018, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, let me count the ways...
  • Old, fat, fingers are known for hitting wrong buttons &/or changing settings without notice
  • Always fighting for correct exposure
  • Often needing double shake reduction just for my hands
  • Being an incredibly poor photographer who should use nothing more complex than a 1957 Brownie Hawkeye

You can add to that list just about any other goofy mistake, etc. that you can imagine.

Don
04-21-2018, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Owning a reconditioned and beautifully silvered/chromed K50/1.2 and virtually never using it ...

Not having the photographic ‘eye’ that my dear wife has - she takes great pictures with an iPhone ...
04-21-2018, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1. Seldom checking SD/CF cards before going out shooting....ending in small storge space/need to delete during shooting/change cards (Aarrgghhh&&/%$££OOçççç@@@)
2. Sometimes lack of patence
3. Sometimes thinking the wrong way my perspective with primes (always having a wide prime instead of a normal)
4. Always having the camera in my bag when light is delicious
04-21-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Never having a camera with you when you see a scene that would make a wonderful photograph. Happened to me while making a quick trip to South Dakota.

Owning a K5IIs, a K7, and enough lenses to cover 10mm through 200mm and rarely using any of it.
04-21-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

Oh the memories of panic

QuoteOriginally posted by desertwalker Quote
Having your brand new camera set for back button focus, forgetting you did, then getting frustrated and thinking something is wrong with the camera because it won't focus when you half-press the shutter button.
I was attending a NG Photography "Expedition" (workshop) in Santa Fe, NM. While there I learned about back button focus on my spanking brand new *ist Ds and I was in near photography heaven. On the last full day of the workshop walking out of the Santa Fe Workshops campus to get on the bus for the days shoot, I decided to shoot a patch on the adobe wall at the entrance. Half press - no focus. Oh - my camera is broken - it's brand new. I made the comment to one of the instructors and got the look of 'and you expect me to fix your camera'. So I stood there wondering what I was going to do for the rest of the day (other than shoot slide film with my film body - it was one, if not the last, NG workshops to support film - minimum of 72 frames per day). So I turned the thing off, tried to focus using the shutter button again and hit the menu button a few times to go through and see if there was anything obviously wrong. I took the batteries out, put them back in and by accident hit the OK button all by is self. The camera tried to focus. I remembered then that back button focus was engaged and I had "forgotten".

Felt like an idiot, acted like a fool, got on the bus and pretty much beat myself up until we got to the spot we were going to shoot at for the day.

I have never forgotten that since, but the time I slipped my FA 50mm off of "A" when getting ready to shoot performers from "The Nile Project" in a classroom - is another story of the little things that come back to bite.

Oh - I did get the image of the patch, not a particularly good or interesting image, but one that still gives me that sinking feeling when I look at it.

---------- Post added 04-21-18 at 01:45 PM ----------

Another long story I will make short.

May through early July 2017 - vacation through Germany, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Poland, France, England, Scotland. Standard OPS copy the days images off of the SD onto a 512GB SSD connected to the "old" laptop. One day in France did not follow the "plan". Got home worked the images and remembered that I had taken images in the village of Domme overlooking the Dordogne and some vineyards near Bordeaux. Went through my SD cards (4 32GB) and remembered that there was one that the camera refused to read. The other three cards had Normandy, England and Scotland on them.

Dug out some SD recovery software and was able to recover the images in full.
The first image on my NG gallery is from that day. Philip Lanum Photographer Profile -- National Geographic Your Shot
04-21-2018, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Accidentally deleting an sd card half way through a week’s skiing trip.Managed to salvage about half the shots with recovery software.
Wanted to delete the files for the days that preceded the trip,ended up deleting all!
04-21-2018, 01:58 PM - 5 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buying lower Serial number FA Limiteds (<0000999) than the ones I already own because

Uh