Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2018, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Going out to shoot Pileated Woodpecker only to discover SD card still in computer.
Needing extra SR for shaky hands.
Setting up K1000 on tripod, down hill and it falling over.
Owning three 50mm never used.

04-21-2018, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Teaching my son the saying "f8 is always great", then having over 300 wedding photos taken as my second shooter on his K30 that where between 3200 and 12800 iso. Needless to say I quickly corrected my mistake and he has gone on to be a great second shooter on his way to being a primary shooter very soon.
04-21-2018, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1. Forgetting to reset the camera's drive mode between sessions (consequence: framing the shot, hitting the button, and hearing "beep-beep-beep..." as the delay timer counts down).

2. Not noticing the auto-exposure values are out-of-range and blinking.

3. Bringing a small lens bag instead of a big lens bag and not having the lens I needed.
04-21-2018, 04:52 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1) purchasing and owning too many camera bodies;
2) purchasing and owning too many lenses, some of which do the same thing (= redundant);
3) purchasing and owning too many tripod heads:
4) purchasing and owning too many tripod legs;
5) purchasing and owning too many strobes, especially on-camera;
6) purchasing and owning too many camera bags;
7) purchasing and owning too many miscellaneous photo things (radio remotes; TTL flash wires; remote shoes; brackets, light stands, filters, adapter rings, close-up filters; reversing rings; bellows, extension tubes, etc.)
8) constantly thinking, even knowing that the piece of equipment I don't have is superior to the one I do have;
9) constantly thinking, even knowing that better equipment will make me a better photographer;
10) not getting off my b-- enough to actually use the equipment I have;
11) spending more time posting on PF than taking pictures.

And worst of all:
12) being totally unrepentant for every one of my faults.

Hey! I'm retired, I've accumulated some money, I can DAIDWP.

04-21-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This sort of fits the thread.

One of my grave marker outings was to Mission San Fernando to shoot Bob Hope. It requires walking through a church to get to the walkway that leads down to his grave.

I had some casual conversation about Bob with an outbound mission visitor who assured me they “did not care” if you - this was a Sunday - walked through during a service. I was somewhat reassured.

I lingered in the church entryway for a moment, looked at the churchgoers who were in the middle of their call-and-response activity, and waited for an opportunity. Eventually I just casually walked straight across, 20 or so steps, through the church and exited the other door. I found Bob, then returned to the church maybe 10 minutes later. As before, I waited a moment to make my crossing. The pastor and people seemed a bit more…animated.

Eventually I walked across the church, during the middle of which I felt a tug on my jacket. I thought I collided with someone, so I wrestled my arm away, whispered “Sorry!" over my shoulder, and continued out, feeling pretty good about seeing Bob.

Now outside, I heard a voice calling after me a couple times. I slowed and turned as a man hurried up to me. He looked a bit worried. He seemed to want to say something else, but said “It does not really matter as you probably won’t ever be coming back, but the monsignor is really going to let me have it.” (or words to that effect).

I said. “I’m sorry?” or something like that.

He said, ”I knew I shouldn’t have let you through the first time.” (Shakes head.)

Surprised, I replied as anyone would, “But the guy”… (indicating with my thumb)… said you wouldn’t mind.”

He said, “Well, normally we don’t – except for today, which is Palm Sunday. The monsignor is really going to let me have it. “ (I paraphrase).

I momentarily wondered if God would fry an atheist like me, even if He truly really loved everyone.

I shrugged and frowned, then said, truthfully, “I am sorry”.

I guess we shrugged at each other again, and we both turned and continued on, he to his service, and me down the road to the separate Mission San Fernando Cemetery.

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-13-2018 at 01:31 PM.
04-21-2018, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
This sort of fits the thread.

One of my grave marker outings was to Mission San Fernando to shoot Bob Hope. It requires walking through a church to get to the walkway that leads down to his grave.

I had some casual conversation about Bob with an outbound mission visitor who assured me they “did not care” if you - this was a Sunday - walked through during a service. I was somewhat reassured.

I lingered in the church entryway for a moment, looked at the churchgoers who were in the middle of their call-and-response activity, and waited for an opportunity. Eventually I just casually walked straight across, 20 or so steps, through the church and exited the other door. I found Bob, then returned to the church maybe 10 minutes later. As before, I waited a moment to make my crossing. The pastor and people seemed a bit more…animated.

Eventually I walked across the church, during the middle of which I felt a tug on my jacket. I thought I collided with someone, so I wrestled my arm away, whispered “Sorry!" over my shoulder, and continued out, feeling pretty good about seeing Bob.

Now outside, I heard a voice calling after me a couple times. I slowed and turned as a man hurried up to me. He looked a bit worried. He seemed to want to say something else, but said “It doe not really matter a you probably won’t ever be coming back, but the monsignor is really going to let me have it.” (or words to that effect).

I said. “I’m sorry?” or something like that.

He said, ”I knew I shouldn’t have let you through the first time.” (Shakes head.)

Surprised, I replied as anyone would, “But the guy”… (indicating with my thumb)… said you wouldn’t mind.”

He said, “Well, normally we don’t – except for today, which is Palm Sunday. The monsignor is really going to let me have it. “ (I paraphrase).

I momentarily wondered if God would fry an atheist like me, even if He truly really loved everyone.

I shrugged and frowned, then said, truthfully, “I am sorry”.

I guess we shrugged at each other again, and we both turned and continued on, he to his service, and me down the road to the separate Mission San Fernando Cemetery.
Church buildings and Church services are creations of man, not of God. Man messes up everything, as your Monignor demonstrated. Christ doesn’t mind a bit* that you interrupted a Palm Sunday service.

* A moment of quiet contemplation, atheist or not, might have been auspicious, but the photo will do in a pinch.
04-21-2018, 06:25 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Church buildings and Church services are creations of man, not of God. Man messes up everything, as your Monignor demonstrated. Christ doesn’t mind a bit* that you interrupted a Palm Sunday service.
Thanks for that. However, I thought a simple "Bob is closed" sign on a little portable stand near the doorway would have been handy.

04-21-2018, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Thanks for that. However, I thought a simple "Bob is closed" sign on a little portable stand near the doorway would have been handy.
The thing is, Bob is never closed. The Usher got it right and welcomed you, as he should have. The self-important man in the funny hat got it wrong (as they are wont to do).

This convo could go south pretty easily, so I’ll end it here.
04-21-2018, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #24

I shot Pentax since 1979 and decided to stay with Pentax going digital since I could use my old lenses. Then I wait a decade to transition to digital SLR because Pentax did not make a full frame and I would loose the ability to shoot ultra wide angle. Finally I give up on full frame and get a K-5 and then discover the Sigma 8-16 which is way wider than what I had with my ME Super. I get hooked on auto focus lenses and never use my manual lenses again. Now that I can get a full frame I decide to stick with the APSC I have. I like where I ended up but my reasoning sure has been flawed.
04-22-2018, 03:05 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. I spend more time on Pentax Forums than I do taking pictures (Adam told me that's not a problem)...

2. I tried to like shooting film but I didn't.

3. Most of the time I prefer shooting zooms to primes.

There have been plenty of times that I forgot to change settings from the night before and shot a whole raft of landscapes at iso 3200 by accident, but those sort of blur together...
04-22-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I bought a Takumar 35mm f/2.3 last year and I have to confess that it has not been used a lot. To make things worse, I bought a whole lot of other stuff to go with it. First it was a UV filter, to protect that front element. I shelled out for an expensive Tiffen, because you know. Then the Takumar lens cap no longer fit as it should, so a center pinch cap was bought right away. Then it was time for an ND filter. It was cheap on an online auction but it was 67mm instead of 62mm. So I got a step-up ring as well. Unmounting the M42 lens adapter from the body was a chore that involved finger nails. So I got another adapter, just because it came with a wrench.

The thing is, I haven't taken very many pictures with this lens. The ND filter has not seen any actual use yet. That wrench proved be less useful than my finger nails.

To get the best out of this Tak, one has to work at it. The subject, the light and the angle has to be just right. There has been just a bit of buyer's remorse. In retrospect, I could have bought other stuff that would have seen more use. I am however, determined to keep it and lean how to use it. Next on the shopping list, a lens hood in 62mm. And a Cokin filter holder ring. Perhaps a polarizer as well...
04-22-2018, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of Digitalis' list plus a general laziness regarding (and ineptitude with respect to) mastering the controls and functionalities of these increasingly feature-rich cameras.
04-22-2018, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Years ago in the K-7 days I scouted and pre-visualized an amazing shot I wanted to take for a local photo contest, get to the spot and it's a beautiful sunset over the mountains. Just incredible, so of course am giddily snapping away. I even used a tripod; this was serious business. I get home and smugly import the files to lightroom, and discover the camera had been set to the smallest, low quality jpeg setting- 2mp I think it was. Ok, whatever, stuff happens, I can try to fix it up and it'll be fine for web. Except it ended up winning that photo contest and for a long while I got requests for large prints, etc. which in good conscience I had to turn down. I did let a friend use it for her business cards.

---------- Post added 04-22-18 at 09:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I bought a Takumar 35mm f/2.3 last year and I have to confess that it has not been used a lot. To make things worse, I bought a whole lot of other stuff to go with it. First it was a UV filter, to protect that front element. I shelled out for an expensive Tiffen, because you know. Then the Takumar lens cap no longer fit as it should, so a center pinch cap was bought right away. Then it was time for an ND filter. It was cheap on an online auction but it was 67mm instead of 62mm. So I got a step-up ring as well. Unmounting the M42 lens adapter from the body was a chore that involved finger nails. So I got another adapter, just because it came with a wrench.

The thing is, I haven't taken very many pictures with this lens. The ND filter has not seen any actual use yet. That wrench proved be less useful than my finger nails.

To get the best out of this Tak, one has to work at it. The subject, the light and the angle has to be just right. There has been just a bit of buyer's remorse. In retrospect, I could have bought other stuff that would have seen more use. I am however, determined to keep it and lean how to use it. Next on the shopping list, a lens hood in 62mm. And a Cokin filter holder ring. Perhaps a polarizer as well...
OT: *Try that lens with a 12mm extension tube, it's great for macro work*
04-22-2018, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the ancient days of film there was a lunar eclipse. So I got out my Ricoh XRM, Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO and a 2 x Vivitar teleconverter. All set up and I took a few shots of the moon. I was just standing there and a passenger jet was going to fly right across the face of the moon. I stood there thinking that the flash from the navigation lights would make a cool bead of light across the frame. . I just stood there watching it unfold with my hand on the remote and................................................. I never pushed the button. So my Pulitzer prize shot of the eclipse never happened.

They say that luck is where preparation meets opportunity. I guess stupidity is where preparation meets inaction.
04-22-2018, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Back in the ancient days of film there was a lunar eclipse. So I got out my Ricoh XRM, Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO and a 2 x Vivitar teleconverter. All set up and I took a few shots of the moon. I was just standing there and a passenger jet was going to fly right across the face of the moon. I stood there thinking that the flash from the navigation lights would make a cool bead of light across the frame. . I just stood there watching it unfold with my hand on the remote and................................................. I never pushed the button. So my Pulitzer prize shot of the eclipse never happened.

They say that luck is where preparation meets opportunity. I guess stupidity is where preparation meets inaction.

I'm sure there's a lot of those kind of in-actions.