Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2018, 11:40 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave Morrow's Landscape Photography Journals. Great information on how he's taking the photo (each journal focus's on a specific topic, i.e. using hyperfocal distance, or understanding and how to use the histogram, etc.). Keeps it simple, and interesting.

04-24-2018, 11:49 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't watch any YouTube channels regularly. But I'm subscribed to a few including Adorama TV. There is one podcast which I really like "The Art of Photography" (also YouTube channel) by Ted Forbes. His episodes are very diverse and covering a 360-degree look into the world of photography.

04-25-2018, 01:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far - I hope other people are also taking the chance to discover new sources of inspiration or wisdom.

Like most of you so far, I'm not overly into gear vlogs (just as well, being a Pentaxian ) -I do think Northrup is good there though.

I've watched a reasonable number of Sean Tucker's and I like his thoughtful approach, though the area he shines, studio portraiture, isn't one of my particular interests.

Thomas Heaton - I think he's beginning to suffer from the strain of producing two vids a week, but he's always watchable - indeed I have watched almost everything he's done. I think his strength is as an everyman photographer - he can teach, and more importantly inspire you to be as good a photographer as he is - ie quite good - and he's a very good videographer.

I have watched and enjoyed a reasonable number of Ted Forbes Art of Photography which is indeed good food for thought often from another person who isn't just a YouTube phenomenon.

I certainly intend to catch up with the suggestions here - and maybe feed in a few more of my B list

Last edited by ffking; 04-25-2018 at 02:15 PM.
04-25-2018, 01:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
John Free is entertaining to listen to, good stories

10 Year Photo Essay by John Free - YouTube
He is very inspiring. Amazing stories and amazing photos, that only true dedication could achieve.

04-25-2018, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Thomas Heaton and The Art of Photography have been mentioned before.

I have a few more that are really worth watching.
James Popsys
Sean Tucker
Jamie Windsor
and Alyn Wallace and AstroBackyard if you’re into astrophotography

Last edited by alpheios; 04-25-2018 at 01:50 AM.
04-25-2018, 01:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
He is very inspiring. Amazing stories and amazing photos, that only true dedication could achieve.
Absolutely inspiring yes, a 28 and a 50 with a couple of Nikon F's, amazing what can be done, great images, with a small amount of equipment
04-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to watch digitalrev and moved to Kai's own channel when he made one. Entertaining and somewhat informative.
Spiros something (go out and take some d**m photos) What is his name?

04-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Katja Quote
"The Art of Photography" (also YouTube channel) by Ted Forbes
Yes, I've watched quite a few of his Youtube vids, interesting and entertaining. He introduced me to Fan Ho in one of them.

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Thomas Heaton - I think he's beginning to suffer from the strain of producing two vids a week
I've thought that too. Really, one a week would be good enough. Perhaps he needs to squeeze them out for sponsorship? In reality, one video usually contains enough real content for a 30 minute TV prog, the way they pad them out.
OP: Excellent post btw
I have seen a few others that have had one really good vlog and then been hit and miss after, for my tastes.
I'll not criticise them though, given the time it takes and courage needed to make them public.
04-25-2018, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I'm surprised there's no mention (that I noticed in my skim through) of Ben Horne. He's been a favorite of mine, consistently for a very long time now.
Ben Horne - YouTube

Thomas Heaton is often quite good, but I've not watched him much in the past year or so.

For reviews and such, none match The Camera Store IMO... but I watch scant few reviews because I largely just find all the near-identical, ever-upgrading, gear talk beyond tiresome. When I do however, they're the best. TheCameraStoreTV - YouTube

Tim Forbes is excellent, but I haven't enjoyed his channel in recent years nearly as much as his earlier videos. (Though his "artist series" episodes have been interesting.) The Art of Photography - YouTube

---------- Post added 04-25-18 at 12:16 PM ----------

And for a fun podcast, I tune in once in a while to The Film Photography Project - they're some fun and zany guys, and they're doing well to bring film and home dev to those that might not otherwise even be tempted.
04-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have to say that I don't learn a great deal about photography from YouTubers in my favoured areas of photography (as against lectures from some of the experienced old hands), but I do find them useful for keeping up to date with what's out there in the accessory line and on post-processing ideas and on new landscape locations to try - and the best ones help re-enthuse you to get out there
04-26-2018, 02:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I just discovered John FREE !
Wow, what a dedication to his art...this guy is amazing.

Thank you so much for this discovery, I can't wait to see his work and videos.

I watch Morrow and Eathon Channels mainly because I like the travel landscape photographer stuff.
Im not too interrested by Gear review, but I watch some stuff from time to time to be updated of things.
04-26-2018, 04:40 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I just discovered John FREE !
Wow, what a dedication to his art...this guy is amazing.
He learned to talk by reading Steinbeck and Hemingway and those guys I reckon - love it! - and thanks to @beachgardener too
04-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no worries, thank you
04-26-2018, 05:11 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Here's something we can share that might help us all improve our photography - what photography YouTubers do you watch most?

My favourite is rapidly becoming the Danish landscaper Mads Peter Iversen - vlogs in near perfect English, of course.

The reason I like him is that he has a very engaging personality, but his videos are very instructive and always about the place he's visiting with loads of helpful tips about finding it and parking etc - and about photography, and he's a good photographer - and not all about himself, which is a trap too any fall into.

Mads Peter Iversen - YouTube

Who is your favourite?

I've watched Iversen a fair amount because he has a number of videos about photographing Iceland and I'm prepping for summer vacation there. I'll let you know if he helps me get better pictures.
04-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
no worries, thank you

Thank you so much!