Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2018, 03:42 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New Netflix movie called Kodachrome

Story about a famous dying photographer and his estranged driving out to Dwayne's Photo in Parson's Kansas so he can get some old rolls of Kodachrome processed before the last Kodachrome film processor in the world is shut down. Pretty much a cliche movie, but Ed Harris who plays the dying photographer is excellent and his character has some poignant observations on the death of film.

Kodak developed a Kodachrome "minilab" in an effort to keep the line viable. I worked developing service procedures for it. Quite nostalgic for me. Made me want to send my 5 DSLR's to the chrusher. I do miss Kodachrome. The best, and most archival permanent, color film ever made. Rated life of the images under optimum conditions is over 200 years. Still common to find 70 year old slides at flea markets and antique stores containing images that look as good as the day they were first made.

Note: Dwayne's is a real place and yes he had the last running Kodachrome film processor on the planet. Sadly the last processor was scrapped so it was not in the movie.

Daily Mail article on it from the time.

Last roll of Kodachrome film developed as digital revolution brings 75 years of camera history to a close | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by gaweidert; 04-24-2018 at 03:57 PM.
04-25-2018, 04:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really miss Kodachrome. I used to pick it for the "important" stuff because I knew it lasted so long. Still hard to wrap my head around it no longer existing.
04-25-2018, 05:40 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have about a dozen rolls in the freezer, just in case it comes back. My 8 tracks are stored nearby.
04-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw it the other day, and I agree, a bit cliche, but still surprisingly good, especially Ed Harris. Worth watching, I think.

04-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still have a couple of Kodak processing mailers, somewhere.