Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Renting gear for a family event

So I'm renting gear for my little sister's confirmation, half for better shots and half so I can play with newer gear. I'm trying to decide if I rent the K1 because it's the most shiniest, or if I rent the KP because it's something I'm actually considering buying in the future. I'm leaning towards the KP because the price difference really isn't inconsequential, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also I'd like some input on what flash I should rent, I'm using LensRentals.

05-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have both cameras and I use both . The KP is a great little camera it light in comparison to the K1 and has some of the same feature set. If you think you are going to buy the KP it would be a great chance to see if you like it by renting it.
05-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
I own the K1 and recently tried the KP at a camera show. I love my K1 and loved the KP too. KP is much lighter and a very capable camera. My thought on rentals is this. If you know you want to commit to the Pentax platform then do not waste your money on a rental. Just buy into the system. As far as camera choice (K1 vs. KP) if you do not need a full frame, then get the KP. It has plenty of resolution and capabilities to last you a long time. As to lens choices, I would get the 16-85 or the 20-40 for starters. It would take care of most of your shooting in a wedding and any other situation. You can always add longer or shorter lenses later. As far as flash choice, I have the 360 the 540 and a Metz 52. I like the Metz the best of the bunch. They all work just fine so you cannot go wrong with any of them. Your budget will dictate what to get. Just my two cents. I hope it is of some use to you.
05-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
or if I rent the KP
If you do that, rent it with the battery grip.
And an extra D-LI90 unless you have some batteries floating around.

05-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #5

I'd say unless you're bitten by the FF bug, or are going to be planning on doing large fine art prints the KP is probably a better choice. Additionally the form factor on the KP is a little different then the standard Pentax bodies (K1, K3, K5, etc) so you probably should get some hands on time with it before you commit to it. That is however just my two cents.