Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2018, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Panorama Set-up from Component Parts

I thought I would share my set-up that I am going to use for shooting panoramic scenes. I have purchased and assembled the following:
Manfrotto 390RC2 Tripod Head (Henry's)
Desmond DBA-2 60mm Arca & Manfrotto Compatible Clamp (B&H)
3-Legged Thing QR11-FBG Universal Full-Size L-Bracket (Metallic Slate Gray) (B&H)
Desmond DLEVX-68 Leveler w Bubble Level for Tripod 3/8 Precision Tri-Wheel Leveling Base (Amazon)
Neewer 200mm Professional Rail Nodal Slide Metal Quick Release Clamp for Camera with Arca Swiss Compatible (Amazon)
Neewer 140mm Professional Rail Nodal Slide Metal Quick Release Clamp for Camera with Arca Swiss Compatible (Amazon)

The Desmond Arca-Swiss Clamp attaches to my Manfrotto tripod plate. The 390RC2 makes it easy to pan the horizon and to do multiple layer panoramas. The 3-Legged Thing L bracket easily fits my K-3 with the Battery Pack attached and increases my versatility when used without a rail slide to easily flip from landscape to portrait format. All of the parts move smoothly over each other and did not need any filing as some people have commented on in product reviews. The Desmond Leveler is easy to use to achieve level.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EX-FC150  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
EX-FC150  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
EX-FC150  Photo 
05-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i@Vulcaninkman

Your set-up looks good. In fact, it is very similar to my own (maybe that's why I like it ). We even have the same model Desmond leveler. I added a Fotga DH-55D Panoramic Indexing Rotator to mine ($50 at Amazon). It helps me keep my rotations uniform.

I was very interested in your 3-Legged Thing QR11-FBG L-Bracket. I have been looking for an L bracket to fit the K-3 II battery pack with its offset mounting screw. I think I will get one of these – thanks!

Good luck with it. I find panos are fun.

Don
05-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every time you move the camera vertically, camera comes off the L bracket. This design can be refined by attaching Circular pano head(H2) to vertical arm. Let H2 attach to vertical arm. Snap a QR plate to camera. Now the vertical movement becomes easy.
https://www.amazon.com/koolehaoda-Panoramic-Compatible-Arca-Swiss-H2-Panoramic/dp/B00MUYWCUA

H2(95gms) is light so I replaced RSS circular clamp(230gms) with H2.
05-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Every time you move the camera vertically, camera comes off the L bracket. This design can be refined by attaching Circular pano head(H2) to vertical arm. Let H2 attach to vertical arm. Snap a QR plate to camera. Now the vertical movement becomes easy.
amazon.com : koolehaoda 360° Mini Panoramic Tripod Head Metal Clamp Compatible with RRS/Arca-Swiss Ball Head Quick Release Plate, Camera Tripod BallHead (H2-Panoramic base) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Could you clarify this for me? How does the camera come off the L bracket. Shouldn’t it be screwed on?

Don

05-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Could you clarify this for me? How does the camera come off the L bracket. Shouldn’t it be screwed on?

Don
For taking multi row panorama camera needs to be rotated vertically. That vertical rotation could loosen the screw. Yes, you could work around that by re tightening screw. I did not mean camera will totally come off.
05-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
https://www.amazon.com/koolehaoda-Panoramic-Compatible-Arca-Swiss-H2-Panoram...ntaxforums-20&

Thanks - I'm just getting started with Panoramas, so I appreciate the feedback!