Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Eye damage from the sun

Hi
I had an attack of the stupids earlier and pointed my tak 100mm directly at the sun. We are talking half a second or less. 4 hours on and my eye is aching, like it was poked with a finger. Not agony, just uncomfortable. My eyesight seems fine. Could I have done some damage or is it most likely to be short lived?

05-24-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Hope that is temporary. Talk to pharmacist, get an Eye drops. Eye drops may accelerate healing process. Closing eye and resting helps.
05-24-2018, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #3

Here?s How To Tell If You Damaged Your Eyes From Staring At The Sun

This is one of the better articles I came across on the internet, but I'm no doctor. My understanding is that it is possible, but unlikely to have resulted in any permanent damage in particular. I'd be vigilant and consider seeking professional advice if it persists.
05-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks

05-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #5

It can take years for some damage to the retina to show up.
05-24-2018, 01:51 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It can take years for some damage to the retina to show up.
Well, that's put his mind at rest
05-24-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume you were looking through your VF at the time and got the bright flash that way. It's unlikely that you incurred eye damage due to the short duration you mentioned and the fact that you would have been exposed to less light than a direct exposure since your lens and VF loses light along the way.

Was there anything else around that time which may have affected your eye - dust, smoke, bugs, etc.? In any case, if the discomfort continues for more than 24 hours, you might check with an ophthalmologist for a quick check up. It might be something else worth catching anyway if you haven't had your eyes checked for a while.

In the meantime the drops pentaxfall suggested and some shuteye might be beneficial.

05-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Hope that is temporary. Talk to pharmacist, get an Eye drops. Eye drops may accelerate healing process. Closing eye and resting helps.
I have just put some in. It could just be a coincidence but you know how your mind works
05-24-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope you heal without permanent damage and get relief from the discomfort sooner than later.

Steve
05-24-2018, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I had a minor accident with sigma 50-150/2.8 zoom in similar way back in 2009. White flash and then about 2 days or searing pain which came and went. Damage was permanent to the right eye and I cannot see properly at long distances in dim light without switching to left eye. No problem in bright daylight.
05-24-2018, 03:43 PM - 6 Likes   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

see an eye doctor asap

do not rely on research here or elsewhere on the web

your sight is too important to risk
05-24-2018, 06:27 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

....And get someone to drive. The Optometrist will dialate your pupils to inspect your retina.
05-24-2018, 06:34 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Message from an eye doctor....solar retinopathy damage usually presents symptoms to the patient several hours after the intense sun exposure. Scratching your cornea would present with different symptoms than you describe, most likely. To be prudent, I would be examined by an optometrist/ophthalmologist the next day. They will likely perform an OCT scan of your retina-macula. If it is normal then you most likely have not damaged the retina. That would be my advice. Best regards, David.
05-24-2018, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See an qualified eye doc tomorrow if possible. Or at the very least call one and discuss.

Here's a relevant article: Did you damage your eyes during the eclipse? Here are the signs. | NJ.com

EDIT - I see the eye doc above me has chimed in. I hadn't seen it when I posted. My post seems redundant now. Sorry about that.
05-24-2018, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have just put some in. It could just be a coincidence but you know how your mind works
Few weeks ago I poked myself in the eye. It was hurting whenever I move the eye-lid. Then I spoke to pharmacist friend. He told me to try an eye-drop for 48hours. It improved a lot in 48hrs. Now it is normal. It strengthened my belief that human body has built-in self correcting mechanism. The eye that I poked has transplanted cornea.