Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2018, 11:10 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You guys helped me get back into it. Huge thanks to this community.

Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I posted about how I was struggling to enjoy photography but wanted to get back into it. You can read that thread here: Trying to get back into photography... - PentaxForums.com

Well, I took my K-50 camping with me last weekend and managed to find that joy again. I didn't get too many keepers, but that isn't what it was about for me this time. I really enjoyed the photography that I did there, and I was able to put my enjoyment above the obsession with getting amazing photos for once. I even left my camera behind much of the time because I could see that lugging a DSLR on a 6 mile hike, etc was not going to be enjoyable, and I was totally fine with it.

Anyway, I think this community has helped me establish a much healthier relationship to this hobby of mine, and I thank you all for that. And of course I wouldn't finish this without sharing one of my pics, and its only the best I have to offer for you fantastic people. This was the photo I got when we were at camp near Moab, Utah and were stunned by a gorgeous sunset. Enjoy!

And I also got to do my first ever attempt at astro-photography and star trails. I learned a lot and hope to improve upon this next time.

05-25-2018, 02:36 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I posted about how I was struggling to enjoy photography but wanted to get back into it. You can read that thread here: Trying to get back into photography... - PentaxForums.com

Well, I took my K-50 camping with me last weekend and managed to find that joy again. I didn't get too many keepers, but that isn't what it was about for me this time. I really enjoyed the photography that I did there, and I was able to put my enjoyment above the obsession with getting amazing photos for once. I even left my camera behind much of the time because I could see that lugging a DSLR on a 6 mile hike, etc was not going to be enjoyable, and I was totally fine with it.

Anyway, I think this community has helped me establish a much healthier relationship to this hobby of mine, and I thank you all for that. And of course I wouldn't finish this without sharing one of my pics, and its only the best I have to offer for you fantastic people. This was the photo I got when we were at camp near Moab, Utah and were stunned by a gorgeous sunset. Enjoy!

And I also got to do my first ever attempt at astro-photography and star trails. I learned a lot and hope to improve upon this next time.
I just randomly stumbled upon this thread... a few years ago we had messaged about going shooting around SLC. The offfer still stands, though it would probably have to be sometime after the 21st of next month if you decide take me up on it.

Nice star trail shot! I'm still rocking a K-50 as well. It's a damn capable camera. Too good to just collect dust, though mine has been guilty of that as well.
05-25-2018, 02:58 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice shots!

and welcome back...
05-25-2018, 05:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I even left my camera behind much of the time because I could see that lugging a DSLR on a 6 mile hike, etc was not going to be enjoyable, and I was totally fine with it.
It's good to leave your camera behind every once in a while. I had an instructor who encouraged us to do just that. His belief was that, if you're constantly photographing everything, you're placing an obstruction (the camera) between you and the experience.

05-25-2018, 05:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Leave the camera behind? I always stuff a camera in my pocket, either my old Pentax 90W or Nikon 130AW. It's camera separation anxiety or something.
05-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I had a similar experience when I got my first Pentax DSLR about six years ago. Seeing the world through a viewfinder again was almost like having my vision restored. I'm more aware of things like light and composition than I had been for the previous ten or fifteen years, during which I had largely put my cameras aside.
05-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It's good to leave your camera behind every once in a while. I had an instructor who encouraged us to do just that. His belief was that, if you're constantly photographing everything, you're placing an obstruction (the camera) between you and the experience.
The philosophy I have with taking photos when I'm doing stuff with my children is that I take a few photos at the beginning and then I put my camera away and give my kids my full attention. I still have my camera if something comes up that I just have to have a photo, but in general, if I am taking photos then it is hard for me to really pay attention to what they are doing. But it is awfully nice to have some photos too...