Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Determining subject distance for DOF

Years ago I saw a small plastic device that worked like the focusing aid in rangefinder cameras. You would look through the lens and turn the ring until 2 images became 1. Then it would show the distance much like the scale on prime lenses.

Today all I can find is expensive and bulky rangefinders used for hunting and golfing. Also they are meant for greater distances. Any suggestions for landscape use?

05-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
BWG
Forum Member

If your lens has a DOF scale, focus it on your subject and the scale will tell you the distance.
05-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I was looking for one too. I couldn't find one but I didn't look too hard. My GX617 has no focus mechanism except a DOF scale on a helicoid. If you find a nice compact one, post a link.
05-25-2018, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They have some cheap under $20 ones over on Wish. Wish being Wish, YMMV as far as quality goes.

Rangefinder | Wish

05-25-2018, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out of curiosity I did a search on EBAY and came up with about a dozen assorted double-image type mechanical rangefinders including a never-used one made for 4X5 press cameras and a couple vintage Leica units selling for upwards of $350. HOWEVER, there were several Voigtlander accessory shoe rangefinders that are probably the most recently manufactured and least likely to have horrible dirt on the windows, lenses and prisms. Try a search on EBAY for "Voigtlander accessory rangefinder."
05-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Widen the search to "accessory rangefinder" under Cameras and Photo and you get a lot more options such as Leitz or Leica units.

Many external focus lenses have distance scales on them.