Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2018, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #16
UMC

Photos: Gallery
OK, I'll join Steve's values:

Import: <6 Seconds (DNG Converter 10.2)

Export: approx 36 Seconds (LR 6.14)

My computer is a custom built AMD Ryzen 1700X with 32 GB RAM and the files stored on a Samsung Pro 960 NVMe SDD. Seems slightly faster than the average ;-)

But I confess, I built this computer after I bought the K-1. My old Hexacore had a tough fight with the files from the K-3, but the K-1 killed it. So I built this one to give me the best photographic bang for the buck.

06-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
And you don't growl "oh c'mon. C'MON" when your pc takes 2 mins to perform a routine task....???
Having never owned a car many years ago I adapted my lifestyle to the pace of two legs or the wheels of a bicycle, and started using computers when everything took more than two minutes. Just because things can be done faster doesn't mean they have to be.
06-03-2018, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Indeed...most admirable mohb, you are a calmer and more balanced person than I am. And of course you are a cricket fan.
06-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

And of course you are a cricket fan.
LOLOLO!
I don't use Adobe so I am not going to download the software to check but my AMD 8 core FX and 24GB of DDR 3 handles Dxo quickly.

06-03-2018, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

It could be that Adobe s/w is slow. Install DarkTable and compare how much time it takes for DNG conversion. This does not solve your problem just investigation to whether it is bad hardware or poorly inefficient software.

---------- Post added 06-03-18 at 05:45 PM ----------

Indeed...most admirable mohb, you are a calmer and more balanced person than I am. And of course you are a cricket fan.
I have watched 5-day match from beginning to end, but not all cricket fans are calm and balanced. Just do not want that credit
06-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Your biggest bang for small amount of money would be to get a core i7 920 or othe 9xx series, X58 mobo, should find one to support 32GB ram. They are reasonably cheap theses days, and quite good still.
06-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeak Kozlok that's the sort of spec I've been looking at. I do have a good atx box in the attic so I should look at available MB+cpu combo's as well.

06-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeak Kozlok that's the sort of spec I've been looking at. I do have a good atx box in the attic so I should look at available MB+cpu combo's as well.
Don't forget the power supply to support all that new hardware. What came with most older cases is not enough to satisfy a significant upgrade.

Steve
06-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Quick browse reminds me that putting a box together from parts tends to end up more exensive than getting one complete.
I've put a few boxes together Steve, and unless one is eg overclocking, using power hungry video card etc PSU power isn't usually an issue - provided it meets the estimated requirements of the mobo + cpu etc obviously.
06-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I idly put in a bid on a lenovo M91p i7 tower - and got it for £92, + post. I think I've done quite well ...(passmark benchmark 8200!)... fact is the i7 2600 cpu alone is listed at more than that in some ebay listings.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 06-04-2018 at 03:23 PM.
06-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got an i5 4670k 3.4 GHz with 16GB, a passive-cooled GPU, and a SATA SSD and I feel like with more than a few files from the 645D or K-1, it can feel pretty sluggish. Usually I don't care much but sometimes I need things to happen faster to turn big jobs around. I was just looking at what my i7 choices would be with this motherboard and it looks like any real world improvement will be pretty small and the price is $300+ which isn't worth it to me right now.
I'll probably build a new Ryzen-based setup one day in the next few months so I can make a bigger leap with CPU speed and also put a PCI SSD in and faster RAM. But RAM is getting expensive again and I don't see that coming down any time soon which is too bad.

I'm really trying to avoid a hot/noisy video card. Anyone got a silent video card that does well for this kind of thing (LR/PS, etc)?
06-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'm really trying to avoid a hot/noisy video card. Anyone got a silent video card that does well for this kind of thing (LR/PS, etc)?
Depending on budget and how much you're willing to wait, rumor has it nvidia will release a new generation cards late summer or so. "Founders edition" (20/11)80 wont be cheap or silent (if that's what they'll start releasing as they usually do), but if waiting a couple or more months for other manufacturers you could get a silent one, and probably undervolt/underclock it for lower temps and more silent operation if needed, and still get better performance than current gen. But it'll cost you...probably. (Especially with the crypto mining craze keeping prices high, but then again, a lot of 10xx-series cards used for mining could overflow the market then and lower 2nd hand prices).

Other than that, if not needing a top end card (adobe is lousy at using GPUs anyway last I checked? or has that changed?), nvidia will (has?) release a 3gb 1050 version that won't be interesting to miners. theoretically keeping the price lower, but has a low TDP so shouldn't be hot or noisy. And if a 1030 is sufficient, there are passively cooled ones (but then again, the latest CPU integrated graphics from AMD are on par with the 1030 so saving money, watts and sound if going that route, can invest in silent cpu cooling and silent PSU instead then).

Edit: Personally, I have a 6700k, but will wait for the next ryzen series with "zen 2"-architecture (in about 1 year?) built on 7nm => for less temp/watt per performance. The current 2xxx gen seems better than intel as well if looking at multithreaded applications (but again, adobe devs don't seem to code very well so look at benchmarks for your application for performance figures), and especially considering intel's shenanigans in the meltdown/spectre problems, I'd go for AMD even if slightly behind in performance...(not so much for the problem itself, but more for their disinformation and attitude regarding it).

Last edited by Igor123; 06-04-2018 at 04:48 PM.
08-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Reviving this thread.

So I should have posted some results with the i7 box ages ago sorry. But fact is I got distracted by endless other things and the box has been sat neglected in the conservatory. Duh! I need to psyche up for the hassle of the swap....

Anyway in the meantime I have had to do other pc jobs, including a clean up and win install on the ol'mans pc - he got seduced by a phone conman posing as BT outreach, no damage done thanks to the bank querying a transfer to Malaysia ! but we presumed PC was compromised so reformat and clean install. At the same time I installed a 771 xeon (see here) instead of the core-2 quad and since that worked well I picked up two HP sff boxes for upgrade from core-2 duo, to go on ebay if my niece doesn't want one for college.
Any way out of curiosity I repeated dng convert tests.
- xeon X5450, 8gb ram 1TB drive, win 7, HP 3120 sff box: < 10secs for convert 22 files
- repeat test on my core-2 quad box, 8 gb ram, 1tb drive, win 7: 1min 6 secs approx.

Now the 3 GHz xeon is on benchmark maybe a third faster than the 2.4GHz (running at 2.66GHz) Q6600 in the other box so no surprise that its faster, but almost 10x faster??? this has really piqued my interest now. Just why might my core-2 quad box be so slow?? any suggestions?
08-28-2018, 11:46 PM   #29
Forum Member

I just built a new 2nd gen Ryzen rig with 16GB RAM and M2 SSD. Couldn't be happier.

GPU prices are falling but still overpriced.

08-29-2018, 12:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I would buy an entire desktop on ebay, in a box. Thats the best way to get a decent PC in my opinion. Anything faster than 50% of the top CPU Benchmark score is a waste of money, unless you are either gaming or someone else is paying. I'd stick to something from generation 6 or more recent. Watch out for 'socket' compatibility if you want to be able to upgrade, and stick to DDR4 ram.

I recently sold a i7 970 based pc on ebay for something like 150 pounds (could have been 170 - but the guy got a great deal), with 16gb of ddr3 ram, and a SSD drive. I think the buyer was pretty chuffed. It was in an Antec box, which makes a big difference. I wasn't miffed about this as I picked up a i7 6600 with 32gb of ddr4 ram and asus board in a fractal design case, with a Samsung m2 500gb drive for 500 pounds.

I think the motherboard is important, and I stick to Asus boards. There may be some brand snobbery, but there is little point in saving a tenner on the framework of the computer, which limits the speed of transfer of data between components. I dont muck about with fancy cooling systems or fans and lights.

One way to make your computer go further is to switch to Ubuntu, which uses less RAM than something Windows based.