Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How fast is your PC - and should I upgrade mine now Ihave a K3-ii?

(mods - I wasn't sure where to put this, if you think it belongs in Digital processing please move).

Well it's like this, I am a perfectly satisfied user of older kit and don't see the point of splashing out on new stuff knowing that depreciation is going to be the main cost. So my PC is a rather passe core-2 quad with 8gb of RAM. It was a good purchase actually, a bespoke build with a nice box and good asus P5n-E-sli board for fifty quid plus post. It was advertised as a dual core, my cunning plan was to upgrade that with a socket 771 xeon for a minimal price using a small adapter, but when it arrived I didn't need to. The seller had forgotten he had already upgraded.
Anyway this is plenty fast enough for all day to day pc tasks, except when I process photos, then it's distinctly slow.

task time
convert 22x .SRW files (724mb) to .dng using adobe dng converter ~2mins, 22secs
export 22x .DNG files as jpg from Lightroom 3.6 ~3mins 18secs
(I also looked at if there was any difference between doing these tasks off my 1TB normal HDD and my SSD, there wasn't)

So I have been thinking about an upgrade with at least twice the passmark benchmark cpu speed of the core-2 quad 6600 ie benchmark score of 7000 up, and the capability to double the ram, and looking at good s/h full sized boxes (I want to put in several drives) with i5's/i7's/xeons, these typically bid up and past 200. So is it worth it? Well that's where I would be interested to hear how your box does. If you are interested you can perform similar operations and report the results here, with outline PC spec. If you're really keen, I have put the suite of 22 .SRW images off my samsung NX20 in this dropbox folder, so you can do exactly the same tests:

103PHOTO

BTW I used online stopwatch.com

Passmark software normally allows a 30 day trial so if you want you can download and run that and include the numbers.

Look forward to hearing from y'all

Last edited by marcusBMG; 06-03-2018 at 10:54 AM.
06-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
15.358 seconds to convert with Adobe dng converter, 43.013 seconds to export as full size jpegs from lightroom. Then again while my computer is a late summer 2015 build it still is pretty good. Intel i7 5820k, 64gb dd4 ram, intel 750 ssd. I custom built it.
06-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Saw a massive speed boost when I ungraded from a Core 2 Duo to Core I5 on a Intel board running the Z series chipset.
It's like someone unclogged a pipe 16GB of RipJaws ram, small SSD. Win 7 of course.

Saw a small improvement going fro z99 to current chipset

Good luck
06-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Two Three comments:
  1. While 8GB memory is adequate, 16 or 32 is better, if you can swing the price and have the MB resources
  2. Shoot as DNG and skip the conversion step
  3. Upgrade your copy of LR. This last is a bit sticky in that Adobe makes it difficult to buy the standalone product and getting upgrade price may no longer be possible. The upgrade will provide you with Adobe Standard as well as several other camera profiles in addition to the embedded profile you are currently limited to. FWIW, I moved from LR 3.x to LR 5.x when I got my K-3 and was more than happy with the ACR upgrade that came with the move.
The whole matter of appropriate hardware is difficult in that I personally don't see older as being obsolete as long as the OS support is still there. I will do some times later.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-03-2018 at 10:22 AM.
06-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

We are no more in the '90s, when a PC became obsolete in a matter of years.
You will get a significant improvement from upgrading, but in the last years the trend slowed considerably: a friend of mine just bought a new i5 and it's only marginally faster than my 3+ y.o. i7 3770.

Bottom line, buy a mid-tier processor, a good 16 GB RAM running dual channel, maybe an SSD for OS and software and you'll be set.
06-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm running Lightroom Classic on a 9 year old Mac mini that wasn't fast 9 years ago. I have no problem with the speed. YMMV.
06-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Three comments:
Good comments Steve but not really pertinent, I want to know how fast a better pc might process, the dng convert and jpg export tasks depend mostly on the processing capability of (mainly) cpu, mobo etc

PS for info sake, I already have ssd, 8gb is the asus P5N-E-sli mobo's max, running win 7 ultimate

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2018 at 18:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
15.358 seconds to convert with Adobe dng converter, 43.013 seconds to export as full size jpegs from lightroom. Then again while my computer is a late summer 2015 build it still is pretty good. Intel i7 5820k, 64gb dd4 ram, intel 750 ssd. I custom built it.
Yeah that i7 has a passmark benchmark of 12,996. Big difference in results. thanks for posting (your build didn't cost fifty quid tho' did it!).

Last edited by marcusBMG; 06-03-2018 at 10:50 AM.
06-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will do some times later.
Here you go:
SRW --> DNG x22 = 7.48s (Adobe DNG Converter v10.3.0.933)
DNG --> JPEG x22 = 36.07s (LR 6.14)

Intel i5-4670 @3.4GHz
Asus Z87-Plus
16 GB (DDR3 2400)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
No SSD, hampered some by write speed of my drive array. Built by moi Spring of 2014.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-03-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: completeness
06-03-2018, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #9

You can save decent amount of money if you switch to AMD products.
06-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Good comments Steve but not really pertinent, I want to know how fast a better pc might process, the dng convert and jpg export tasks depend mostly on the processing capability of (mainly) cpu, mobo etc

PS for info sake, I already have ssd, 8gb is the asus P5N-E-sli mobo's max, running win 7 ultimate

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2018 at 18:42 ----------

Yeah that i7 has a passmark benchmark of 12,996. Big difference in results. thanks for posting (your build didn't cost fifty quid tho' did it!).
Cost substantially more. I also forgot that I was doing some batch astrophotography preprocessing in Pixinsight 1.8 while doing these tests. oops...
06-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Why do you feel the need save two minutes each time you load some files?
06-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Cost substantially more.
The same here. Mine was a memory and OS upgrade (4GB --> 8GB, Win XP --> Win 7) that spun out of control and in the end the only hardware that remained was the CD-RW, keyboard, and the Antec mid-size tower case. The memory upgrade from from 8GB to 16GB just happened last week and I could not be happier with the additional headroom. I don't remember the full price included OS, but seem to remember it coming in at a little over $500 USD.

Steve
06-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Offloading processing onto the graphics card RAM is becoming more prevalent these days. As Lightroom devs rewrite routines to use the GPU, the graphics component will become increasingly important. It can make an order of magnitude difference in some routines.
06-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Offloading processing onto the graphics card RAM is becoming more prevalent these days. As Lightroom devs rewrite routines to use the GPU, the graphics component will become increasingly important. It can make an order of magnitude difference in some routines.
OTOH now it's still not a good time to buy a graphic card.
The prices are stabilizing, though, and one could settle for a PC with an integrated or low-tier GPU and upgrade in a year or so.

I bought a 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4GB in October for ~160, now it's 210+
06-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cheers Steve. And apparently your build is even faster than the i7 of VoiceofReason ???

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2018 at 21:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Why do you feel the need save two minutes each time you load some files?
And you don't growl "oh c'mon. C'MON" when your pc takes 2 mins to perform a routine task....???