Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Considering Infrared Conversion: GR or K-5?

I'm thinking of converting my GR for infrared photography. Comments appreciated, especially from anyone who has already taken that leap.

I was originally looking to convert my K-5. I was undecided whether to go with basic IR conversion or full spectrum. Full spectrum is more flexible but requires additional filters, adding cost, complexity, and bag space. Kolari Vision charges $450 including their recommended antireflection coating.

I then noticed the Ricoh GR only costs $175 to convert at Kolari Vision. I would go with the 850nm deep infrared filter, optimized for B&W infrared. (My GR sensor has several dust spots and they'll get cleaned during the conversion; Precision would charge $172.50 just for the cleaning.)

06-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Price wise I'd lean towards the GR, however for capability I'd want the K-5. Ultimately it's capability vs price. I guess it depends on how serious you want to get. If it was me, I'd choose the GR - it's more than capable, cheaper, and an easy package to carry round. Have fun with whatever one you choose. I'm excited to see the results. Cheers!
06-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a Panasonic Lumix ZS25 converted to 720nm by Kolari vision for $99. In addition, I had a pentax K-01 converted to 720nm by Isaac Szabo (Isaac Szabo) for $175. I believe his price for a K-5 would be $250 which could narrow the cost gap significantly.

For the K-01, I opted for the 720nm filter so that I would not have to have to carry any additional filters but could add a greater wavelength (i.e., 760/850/950) filter on occasion if the mood struck. I've since added a few 850nm filters for a little variety. I like not being required to carry additional filters with the 720nm conversion.

Despite the fact that the lumix is a compact point-and-shoot and only supports jpg files, I am more likely to carry it "just-in-case" due to the size, weight, and convenience. When out-and-about with the intention of shooting IR or being more deliberate in general, the K-01 ends up in the bag.

Candidly, neither sees a level of usage anywhere near that of the "honeymoon" period following the conversions. Your mileage may vary. While they don't see as much use as when initially converted, I don't regret having had the conversions done. It can make for some enjoyable outings.