Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Sometimes you don't realize a hazard until it's an immediate threat!
Very true and if coupled with over confidence, thatʻs the killer.

06-04-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most of my incidents involve dirtbikes, hazardous wildlife*, and of course, other people.

My rule is : if it looks dodgy, it probably is. In a nutshell: Fear is something people frequently shun or ignore ironically in fear of being called weak or a coward. We have survived from generations of people who had a number of valuable traits that included a strong desire to stay alive for as long as possible**. This instinct has been passed down over time and manifests itself as fear, which (when it is in proportion to the threat) has a self-preservation value.

*which, as some people might be surprised to find, are more abundant in Australia.
**longevity carries with it the increased probability of reproduction.
06-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
*which, as some people might be surprised to find, are more abundant in Australia.
Yes we know, I live in a state that has no native poisonous snakes. We do have some poisonous spiders but nothing that can put a fang through a big toenail. Or toxic Mammal ducks or whatever those platypuses are.
06-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I'll share three incidents - one was non-photographic.

First was in a Laguna Canyon, southern California. It has a large (20-ft? diameter) sandstone boulder half sticking out the side of the 45-degree cliff. I crept out on it a ways and sat down with my feet flat in front of me. At some point I felt a little slip-and-stop - it might have been as short as 1/4 inch. But it made me realize sitting on slanted friable sandstone was not a good idea - it would be about a 50 ft drop over the edge.

Second was hiking up the mountain trail at Castle Crags (I think) in northern California. Lightweight clothing, maybe some water, loaded camera bag. After eventually zigzagging up the trail, the trail started to level off into to an area with no plants - a bald head. The sun was getting lower and I knew I was not going to get to the "end", so I decided, prudently, to call it a day and go down. However, I could not find the trail and spent a fair amount of time poking around dead ends before I finally found it.

Third was at Amboy crater near Amboy CA.

Very hot Sunday mid-morning. Drank some water and started the mostly-flat mile hike toward the crater. Hot sun-baked black lava. Out a ways was a bench and cover - made out of aluminum :-( I did not stay there long. Onward, to and up the lip of the crater.

Now I'm really hot and tired with nothing but dark lava to rest on. I did not even cross the crater bottom trail (above), but just returned to my car.

This is the view "down".

For about 15 minutes, I felt woozy and just sat in the air-conditioning until I felt I could drive. I could easily have passed out somewhere and not be found for days.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-05-2018 at 06:38 PM.
06-05-2018, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

A sticker reading "OBJECTS IN THE [MIRROR] ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR" on UWA lenses, like on cars?
06-05-2018, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Taking a step back to better frame the photo - I'm sure I'm running out of "that was close" moments and getting nearer to "Oh expletive deleted"
06-05-2018, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Many years ago, I set out to take a photo of a cactus that was in full bloom. This was on a wildlife refuge and there was a group of buffalo in the area, but they were far enough away to not be of much concern. Unfortunately, the day was fairly windy so I had to frame my shot, lock down the tripod, then stare through the viewfinder with my thumb poised on the cable release, and wait for one of those infrequent half-second pauses between breezes. I had managed to snap several shots over about a half hour period when I suddenly heard a snort that was WAY too close. My first thought was, "Oh no! The buffalo!" My head snapped up fully expecting to see that I was now sitting in the middle of a herd of buffalo. They were vastly closer than before, but luckily still far enough away for me to quietly retreat back to my car.

06-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ oh, yeah, that's another "got away with it this time" for me. Herd of buffalo wandered between me and my van. I just stayed and kept photographing.

I couldn't move further away because of terrain. I couldn't get back to van because of the herd.
06-05-2018, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Giant Revolvers are good in case you run into Grizzly Bears. Smaller semi automatics in case you run into muggers.
06-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
^ oh, yeah, that's another "got away with it this time" for me. Herd of buffalo wandered between me and my van. I just stayed and kept photographing.

I couldn't move further away because of terrain. I couldn't get back to van because of the herd.
I think many have heard the story of the tourist from France who went out to photograph the Buffalo herd in Yellowstone National Park who was upset that a bull stayed laying down when he wanted a picture of it standing up.

The tourist kicked the bull, and died in intensive care several days later.

Have some folks I know who owned a Buffalo ranch and they explained how you have to have a great respect and a healthy dose of fear whenever you deal with them. On a farm or not, they are still truly wild animals.

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 12:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Many years ago, I set out to take a photo of a cactus that was in full bloom. This was on a wildlife refuge and there was a group of buffalo in the area, but they were far enough away to not be of much concern. Unfortunately, the day was fairly windy so I had to frame my shot, lock down the tripod, then stare through the viewfinder with my thumb poised on the cable release, and wait for one of those infrequent half-second pauses between breezes. I had managed to snap several shots over about a half hour period when I suddenly heard a snort that was WAY too close. My first thought was, "Oh no! The buffalo!" My head snapped up fully expecting to see that I was now sitting in the middle of a herd of buffalo. They were vastly closer than before, but luckily still far enough away for me to quietly retreat back to my car.
Yikes! Lucky you had time.
06-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Have some folks I know who owned a Buffalo ranch and they explained how you have to have a great respect and a healthy dose of fear whenever you deal with them. On a farm or not, they are still truly wild animals.
Regardless of "wild" or domestic or highly trained, any animal large enough to accidentally damage me triggers caution. Bison, elk, moose, cows, horses, etc.

People fear bears and mountain lions because we are potential food for them. Too many people dismiss the non-predatory dangers.
06-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Regardless of "wild" or domestic or highly trained, any animal large enough to accidentally damage me triggers caution. Bison, elk, moose, cows, horses, etc.

People fear bears and mountain lions because we are potential food for them. Too many people dismiss the non-predatory dangers.
Hippos are vegetarians but are considered the most dangerous big game animal in Africa. I wonder why?
06-05-2018, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Hippos are vegetarians but are considered the most dangerous big game animal in Africa. I wonder why?
'cause they thiccc
06-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A number of years ago we did a trip to Big Bend National Park, Texas that we call our "all inclusive". One of the things it included was a loop trail we knew we could complete before dark - problem was when we had almost completed the loop my wife (ahead of me) encountered three bears on the trail. I never saw them but there was an aggressive retreat (always regretted not getting a photo). Trouble was, we wouldn't be able to do the loop in reverse in daylight. Along came a very outdoorsy lady (lots of badges on her hat) and we explained the problem to her. She said that going back the other way there was a rattlesnake on the trail and she'd rather take on the bears. So we made a lot of noise and headed back the way we had come, no sign of the bears and were back in our cabin within five minutes.
The trip also included one of us stepping on a very aggressive coachwhip snake (not venomous) and several days of food poisoning. Other than that it was a fantastic trip - don't hesitate to go if you like wild places, but be self sufficient with food..
06-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are very territorial, huge and powerful, and they have those big tusks/teeth.
I saw some with big scars on them last year in Africa, getting all grumpy if they got close to each other.