Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I've done some panning shots on a monopod, and treated them just like any ordinary panning shot, i.e. SR off.
Most newer Pentax bodies detect panning and turn off the SR in that directionally while keeping the vertical SR on. (We have seen written here.

06-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A minor feature of my K20 (now gone to another Pentaxian) that I missed when I moved to a K5 was a physical switch to turn shake reduction on/off. Easy to use, easy to see as a reminder of whether SR is or is not engaged. Perhaps on newer bodies an FN button could be programed for the purpose, so long as you got a conspicuous screen icon as a reminder.
06-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Most newer Pentax bodies detect panning and turn off the SR in that directionally while keeping the vertical SR on. (We have seen written here.
it looks like you miss adding a link. I am interesting to read the article or post on that link to see if K-3 can do that too?
06-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Turn it off in general on a tripod. However I have found it can help with very long lenses (500mm+) to turn it on if you are firing with hand on the button. With manual focus lenses where I get to choose the value, sometimes setting it to a wrong value (in some cases, higher than the actual focal length but usually around 2/3rds of the true value) helps the most. Just depends on the conditions and the tripod setup. Experiment. (Note that all my experience with this is with APS-C sensors -- K-5 & K-01.)

06-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think all Pentax cameras turn of SR when using the wireless remote. I always use remote 3 second delay.setting when using a tripod, or 2 or 10 second delay if I forgot the remote.
06-06-2018, 02:11 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Yes, turn it off. Now, having said that - there are always specialized exceptions to rules.
  • I have shot on bridges with traffic crossing behind me where I could feel a lot of vibrations - I turned it on for that.
  • On a cruise ship, I could feel some vibrations coming through the soles of my shoes (we were doing a 360 degree spin) and I turned it on for that too.
... and yes, I have inadvertently left it on by mistake (when on solid ground - I knew better,but just forgot) and have captured some unwanted results.

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Now, having said that - there are always specialized exceptions to rules.
What about a windy day? I would think you'd use SR here, too.
06-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
1. my bodies are older and 2. I'm not sure I would trust it, especially when doing several panning in a row... I mean change it once and out of, say, twenty pans, you're sure that SR will not interfere.

06-06-2018, 04:33 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

variation time from a newbie who ( rather stupidly ) doesn't use a tripod often

what if you are not using a tripod but rather bracing the camera

what should I do with the SR?

I have braced my camera when I use a telephoto lens on bean bags, a duffle bag, etc, etc, etc,

against a tree

against a fence post

what is the recommendation ?

should SR be off only when trying to pan with the target ??
06-06-2018, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I did a wee test with a k5iis+DA*300mm a couple years ago. Indoors, on a compact manfrotto tripod that I'd consider too light for this combo (legs fully collapsed though). Target with a Moth Field Guide, at close range, using an rf602 wireless remote in the wired port (the only way to have SR on with a wireless trigger on my k5iis). I did a couple of shutter speeds. "MLU" denotes Mirror Lock Up. The "MLU+UV" column has the crappiest $4 UV filter on the lens for kicks. These are 1:1 crops:

With this, I found little to no difference for SR on or off. MLU has a slight edge, but probably not noticeable unless you're pixel peeping like this. The crappy UV filter should never touch this lens unless I'm deliberately testing out something absurd. For my purposes, I'm content to keep using MLU (which also disables SR on my camera), as this was my standard practice anyway.

Your equipment and usage may vary.
06-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
I would think that would work well too....

06-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will do the test and start a new thread.
I did the test yesterday on two different tripods and got results similar to BrianR.

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
With this, I found little to no difference for SR on or off. MLU has a slight edge, but probably not noticeable unless you're pixel peeping like this. The crappy UV filter should never touch this lens unless I'm deliberately testing out something absurd. For my purposes, I'm content to keep using MLU (which also disables SR on my camera), as this was my standard practice anyway.
Thanks for weighing in on this discussion. I got similar results at 20x the focal length distance with a resolution target as subject and found only very subtle improvement from turning SR off. The best results were had on the K-3 was with SR off and Mirror-Up. I am going to redo the test with more attention to being systematic.

Steve

(...trying to figure out how to work higher shutter speeds into the test set-up while keeping ISO low...)
06-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I did a wee test with a k5iis+DA*300mm a couple years ago. Indoors, on a compact manfrotto tripod that I'd consider too light for this combo (legs fully collapsed though). Target with a Moth Field Guide, at close range, using an rf602 wireless remote in the wired port (the only way to have SR on with a wireless trigger on my k5iis). I did a couple of shutter speeds. "MLU" denotes Mirror Lock Up. The "MLU+UV" column has the crappiest $4 UV filter on the lens for kicks. These are 1:1 crops:

Your equipment and usage may vary.
Yup.
I had posted something very similar a while back with ranges from 1/6 second to 30 seconds.
I also found no discernible differences in any of the shots. I have seen several posts from people performing such tests and finding no evidence of problems.
I have yet to see anything other and if's and maybe's from those pounding their fists that SR *must* have some negative impact.

There has also been some real study done with mirror vibration and the positive effect mirror-lockup has on the photos.
I would encourage the use of mirror lock up when you have the freedom to do so. There are certainly situations where it has more influence that other. But I simply have not seen a need to get bent out of shape about SR.
06-08-2018, 10:56 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I have yet to see anything other and if's and maybe's from those pounding their fists that SR *must* have some negative impact.
I'm not taking that as a challenge, though I do want to do some actual field testing at higher shutter speeds and longer distances. I also wish I still had my K10D for comparison. The advice to turn off SR when used on-tripod is as old as as SR itself and is called out in the K10D manual as are the automated shut-off features (Timed release, remote, B mode, and wireless flash). It may well be that improvements have been made to the SR system that makes the SR-off rules silly and unneeded, but it would be nice to show why they were originally needed.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-08-2018 at 11:03 PM.
06-13-2018, 02:50 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Now that is an excellent question. Fortunately I have a tripod that has a spring loaded hook at the bottom of the main column. On this hook I can attach a 10 lb., weight (dumbell) and it does a wonderful job of anchoring the equipment on especially windy days on the Oregon Coast. If you are wondering about sand being blown all around, I keep a protective sleeve over the whole set up. It also keeps out salty spray.

Thanks for reading,

Tony

---------- Post added 06-13-18 at 02:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A minor feature of my K20 (now gone to another Pentaxian) that I missed when I moved to a K5 was a physical switch to turn shake reduction on/off. Easy to use, easy to see as a reminder of whether SR is or is not engaged. Perhaps on newer bodies an FN button could be programed for the purpose, so long as you got a conspicuous screen icon as a reminder.

With my k-50 the SR is disabled automatically when I enable the self-timer. However, the K100D Super does have a switch on the rear of the body. There have been times when I had completely forgotten to switch the SR off and continued shooting while on a tripod and truthfully, I did not notice any difference in IQ. So now I do keep a notebook for each of my cameras and take them with me when out shooting. I am the original "Absent Minded Professor". Oh wait, I would be except I forgot to get my PhD. I think.

Thanks for reading.

TT
06-13-2018, 04:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
With my k-50 the SR is disabled automatically when I enable the self-timer. However, the K100D Super does have a switch on the rear of the body. There have been times when I had completely forgotten to switch the SR off and continued shooting while on a tripod and truthfully, I did not notice any difference in IQ. So now I do keep a notebook for each of my cameras and take them with me when out shooting. I am the original "Absent Minded Professor". Oh wait, I would be except I forgot to get my PhD. I think.

Thanks for reading.

TT
That's one thing I miss from the "Super"... I have a K-30 ATM.