Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nisi s5 is great, now what filters should I start saving up for?

As title suggests, got myself a new s5 system from nisi, which includes their new circular polarizer. System seems very nice, machined properly, doesn't seem flimsy to me. Unfortunately can't test it on my 15-30 yet since it's still in Japan for a second round of repairs.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for good but affordable ND filters that would work with the system (150x150mm, 2mm thick). Nisi had some that seem to be getting good reviews, but I don't see a 10 stop one that I would most like to try. Also they go for about $240, which seems a tad steep. Any other brands make something a bit more affordable? Or that's pretty much what I'd need to pay for those big filters?

Thanks

06-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
As title suggests, got myself a new s5 system from nisi, which includes their new circular polarizer. System seems very nice, machined properly, doesn't seem flimsy to me. Unfortunately can't test it on my 15-30 yet since it's still in Japan for a second round of repairs.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for good but affordable ND filters that would work with the system (150x150mm, 2mm thick). Nisi had some that seem to be getting good reviews, but I don't see a 10 stop one that I would most like to try. Also they go for about $240, which seems a tad steep. Any other brands make something a bit more affordable? Or that's pretty much what I'd need to pay for those big filters?

Thanks
I recently purchased a Haida 100mm 10 stop ND. I've only taken it out once so far, but I'm happy with the results. I've pushed the saturation pretty hard and there's just the slightest hint of a purplish color cast.

Not sure how the 150mm size Haida would compare to the Nisi in price, but they are considered a budget option.

Have you had issues with your 15-30?
06-07-2018, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I do see a 150 ND on their website. So it must be available.

I have a 100mm nisi set. I must say i find their filters very neutral. As for price, It is supposed to be a budget option indeed.
Haida filters seem to be on par with nisi in reviews i read, when i purchased the nisi kit.

pricewise, i think you get what you pay for.. Remember you only buy it once (hopefully ;-))