Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2018, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But lenses aren't optimized wide open, LB … give an example of an f4 lens that isn't at its sharpest a couple of stops down?
I've heard it's the modern trend, perhaps mainly with large aperture primes: it's what the general public (or the measurbators?) wants.
I'm not saying that it can't be better at, say, f/5.6, just that performance wide open is much more important than it was in the '80s... when it was a given that if you used w.o., it was for a portrait (and corner softness was even desirable).

In the case of a light f/4 zoom, wide open optimization could actually make a lot of sense.

06-08-2018, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Agreed: a friend of mine who shoots classical concerts with a Nikon FF usually uses f/4 because of DoF (and lens performance when stopped down). If the f/4 lens is optimized wide open... why not?

It uses a SDM motor, but I've never heard of it failing, must be of another kind.
It's a very nice lens, only downside I've heard is the bokeh, which some find kinda busy.
Also see:
SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Thanks for info! I'll be on the lookout for this lens. Price is kind of hefty though, unless the $1200 is the retail at the time of the release?

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 06:12 AM ----------

Hmm, seems 60-250 is only 100g lighter than my Tamron. The new Tamron is about 300g lighter. I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much lol in terms of weight shed in my bag.

Seems my Tamron is not that heavy compared to other 2.8 zooms out there, I haven't really looked at weight of say dfa 70-200. I mean 30% lighter lens is still desirable to me, plus it's smaller too, but maybe less so for the 60-250, although zoom range plus great * quality optics and weather sealing are tempting me
06-08-2018, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah don't have the numbers at hand, but I believe it can be had for about half that amount? on mobile right now, and in a hurry, will check back later.
You can try ebay in the meantime.
Dfa70-200 is a beast... XD
06-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'd like to see sharpness comparisons, for landscape work I want it to be very sharp at f5.6-8
for landscape on full frame you would stop down between f8 and f16, of course when doing wildlife the noise might scare the grizzly away but for $74, you don't take a lot of risks. I met a guy who owned a bunch of F or FA lenses and I was impressed who compact they are, and I was surprise how dense the 70-210 is packed with glass, it takes decent picture when stopped down, but the main benefit is it is cheap and can fit into a pocket! Try find that kind of lens new today..

06-08-2018, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
for landscape on full frame you would stop down between f8 and f16, of course when doing wildlife the noise might scare the grizzly away but for $74, you don't take a lot of risks. I met a guy who owned a bunch of F or FA lenses and I was impressed who compact they are, and I was surprise how dense the 70-210 is packed with glass, it takes decent picture when stopped down, but the main benefit is it is cheap and can fit into a pocket! Try find that kind of lens new today..
It's definitely an option. I don't really care about constant aperture for this kind of stuff. But maybe it's worth waiting for DFA 70-300? It seems DFA 28-105 is a pretty stand out lens in terms of kit optics, and I'd think DFA 70-300 4-5.6 (or whatever it'll be) would be no slouch either. Maybe it's worth waiting for that one, and just lug my stuff around for another year. Slow pace of the lens releases actually permits me to save for purchases when they come out

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 11:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yeah don't have the numbers at hand, but I believe it can be had for about half that amount? on mobile right now, and in a hurry, will check back later.
You can try ebay in the meantime.
Dfa70-200 is a beast... XD
I've seen very good to excellent copies on ebay going for about 750-800. Definitely better than 1200. I'll keep an eye out. However, the weight of the lens is fairly substantial and only 100g lighter than my tamron, which kind of defeats the purpose of the supposed upgrade for me. Although, I like the idea of having my whole outdoor kit weather sealed.
06-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
. I don't really care about constant aperture for this kind of stuff.
Well, in the meantime, before Pentax release a new one, you could get an old FA to play with. It wouldn't cost much. The main downside of those film era lenses is flare when you shoot against the light, but if you shoot with light in your back, image is decent, especially for the small price.