Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I want to take the 20-40, but with a camera half the size of the k-30. Maybe I should upgrade to the KP?
The KP isn't half the size of the K30 though. It's an upgrade, (and less at risk of aperture block issues) but not any smaller. The k-01 maybe...

---------- Post added Jun 10th, 2018 at 01:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You could grab a small fixed lens zoom enthusiast camera. Make it one that supports raw and has a fantastic lens. Panasonic LX-7's are older and have a small sensor (and an optional viewfinder) but the results are pretty amazing. The LX-100 is not as versatile in the lens department but has a larger sensor and integrated electronic viewfinder. Taking a DSLR is fine depending on the trip. If you anticipate being rushed or feeling like you are slowing down the pace too much with lens changes I would stick to a smaller camera.
If you like it, film isn't a bad option either.
Travel zooms have come a long way. They can go from quite wide to quite long, depending on the model, many have good stabilization and shoot RAW, so you have better post processing options. Smaller, lighter, one piece and easier to carry with you and keep track of. Panasonic and Canon both make nice ones that I've seen good pictures from, and last year's models are frequently available at good prices.

06-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I. . . has to come out in security now, . . .
not sure on any internationally flights but you don't have to remove such gear at TSA check points if you are enrolled in the " Pre Check " program

TSA Pre✓® | Transportation Security Administration

There is a cost and there is an application to be approved so OP may not have the time to get it approved before leaving

I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law " anything that can go wrong ", will go wrong and Finnegan's Corollary to it " Murphy was an optimist ", so if I am going on a trip with photography in mind, I try to take some type of back up camera. ( other than my cell phone ). I know the OP is tight on room but if possible, I would have some type of pocket 35mm camera with me in addition to the other equipment

I also like a good multi pocket travel vest which I can use to bring stuff onto planes, although admittedly, little or no protection in such garments exist

I have used mine for small lenses, pocket camera, memory cards, batteries and battery charger

Be aware the vest will become heavy really quickly

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-10-2018 at 01:35 PM.
06-10-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #18

When I’m on vacation, I take my Pentax DSLR and a small Canon point-and-shoot with a 5X zoom. I will take my DSLR when I know I will be taking pictures, like on tours, to gardens, on cruises, etc. I take the point-and-shoot as a backup and when I am just going to dinner or something in case I see something along the way. If you don’t have a camera of some sort, you will miss some good shots. Both use SD cards. I often also take a Sanho Hyperdrive to backup photos on long trips.
06-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
When I’m on vacation, I take my Pentax DSLR and a small Canon point-and-shoot with a 5X zoom. I will take my DSLR when I know I will be taking pictures, like on tours, to gardens, on cruises, etc. I take the point-and-shoot as a backup and when I am just going to dinner or something in case I see something along the way. If you don’t have a camera of some sort, you will miss some good shots. Both use SD cards. I often also take a Sanho Hyperdrive to backup photos on long trips.
forgot to id the little pocket camera I carry for " last resort " efforts:

Cannon Powershot A1100 IS which uses AA batteries and SD cards

Canon PowerShot A1100 IS - Canon PowerShot A1100 IS verdict - | Cameralabs

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.
06-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Perfect world, money not an issue:
  • KP
  • HD DA20
  • HD DA40
  • HD DA70
  • Sell the 20-40

Most money effective:[*]Another XA, perhaps an XA4
Ha! I actually went the other way with my limited path, starting with the 40 then the 21 and 70 but sold all three for the 20-40.

I do need to get myself pre-checked with TSA, I fly every other month or so. Maybe this trip should be the push.

I think the XA will come regardless since it takes no room, even with 5-10 rolls of film.
06-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ha! I actually went the other way with my limited path, starting with the 40 then the 21 and 70 but sold all three for the 20-40.

I do need to get myself pre-checked with TSA, I fly every other month or so. Maybe this trip should be the push.

I think the XA will come regardless since it takes no room, even with 5-10 rolls of film.
I get the DA20-40 idea - I have it and planned to sell the DA Limited primes, but the 20-40 is big, and unsatisfying, so I plan to sell the zoom instead. I’ve never bonded with it.

I travel with the KP with medium grip and the three HD primes in a small Domke F-5XB bag.
06-11-2018, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I always find it interesting how varied people's idea of the ideal travel kit is. The OP clearly prefers something simple, compact and light, while I'm very much at the other extreme as I enjoy using good gear when I visit new places. My travel kit on my last major trip (to Italy) was:

K3
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8
MX
DA 40mm limited
A 28mm f/2.8
M 120mm f/2.8
M 50mm f/1.7
DA 18-55mm WR
tripod

And on the previous trip (to Japan) I felt that nothing short of limiteds would provide me the photographic satisfaction of a trip I've been dreaming of for years:

K3
DA 15mm
DA 21mm
DA 35mm
DA 70mm
DA 18-55mm
MX
M 50mm f/1.7
A 28mm f/2.8
M 120mm f/2.8
tripod

Though in fairness the 120mm eventually stayed out of the backpack as it was just too heavy.

If I had a 20-40mm limited then I suspect that it would become my default travel lens, providing the joy of using a limited lens with wide-to-normal zoom flexibility.

06-11-2018, 03:16 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I always find it interesting how varied people's idea of the ideal travel kit is. The OP clearly prefers something simple, compact and light, while I'm very much at the other extreme as I enjoy using good gear when I visit new places. . . .
I'm like you

If I can, I pack for possibilities ( and I think that I really just have to haul of it from the car to the airport, through the air port and finally to the rental vehicle )

take those 2 for low light ( F 1.8 and 2.0 )

that one for macro ( 1:1 )

that one for wide angle ( but with a K 3 and K 3 II, none of my current lenses are all that wide angle field of view )

that one for telephoto zoom

and that one for telephoto prime

and that for an extender

not to forget those 2, they are small and light

finally that DSLR back up and the little 35mm pocket camera just in case

where is that kitchen sink any way
06-11-2018, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #24
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a kit smaller than the K30 and 20-40 I would start thinking M4/3. Still reasonably good image quality in a small package. Me, I'm always "that guy" even though the DSLR kit adds quite a bit of bulk and weight to my luggage.

Of course, now that I have a GR I will never consider going anywhere* without it. It is the perfect high-quality snapshot camera that is also capable of "serious" imagery. I believe it has the same sensor as the K-30 so it should perform about the same in low light. And, for what it's worth, I'm a die-hard OVF guy, and yet I rarely miss a viewfinder on the GR. I just don't use it the same way as an SLR. A tilting screen would have been nice, though.

Depending on the destination I often will bring the little Olympus Tough, too. The IQ isn't fantastic but you won't drown it or crush it.

*A slight exaggereation; I sometimes leave it behind when I take out the garbage
06-11-2018, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I went to the UK in 2013 with three cameras and a bunch of lenses and hauled that bulk around for three weeks. Never again.

Next trip to Scotland I took a Fuji X30 and felt completely liberated.

So for you OP I would take your Olympus and have an enjoyable vacation.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!
06-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Aslyfox and @Jonathan Mac, the closest I've come to that is my last trip to New Mexico with the family, where I knew I'd be shooting family portraits (single and groups), newborn and baby photos, a funeral, some landscapes, some front-yard birding, and the ABQ Balloon Fiesta. I took my 10-20 f3.5, 20-40 limited, DA*50-135 (SDM failed on this trip!), and a SMC Takumar 55mm f.18 and had everything I needed to do covered. I used every lens in due course but that was no where near my normal and isn't how I like to travel. Photography on vacation is more of a "decisive moment" thing, where I want to capture the culture and feel of the place I'm visiting. It's why I've preferred to, unless family responsibilities require digital, to shoot film on small rangefinders for travel the last several years: it's one less charger, one less expensive electronic, one less distraction. It's also a set of permanent memories from the trip. I took the XA as our sole camera on our honeymoon in 2014 to Tahiti, save for an Olympus Tough TG-4 for snorkeling and shot 10 or 12 rolls of Velvia and Ektar total and loved it. I took the XA and 35RD to Mexico and again the XA is my go-to camera, this time without the slides.

This trip is from an incentive program I won at work, and will be 5 days being shuttled around between wineries and restaurants in and around Mendoza and Santiago. I won't have a car or personal transportation, and won't be able to have checked bags due to all the transfers and transportations. I'm thinking another XA in the bag as a backup with a bunch of Velvia slides and some Porta 800 might be the ticket in the end... but gah it's SO expensive to shoot slide film.
06-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

@Aslyfox and @Jonathan Mac, the closest I've come to that is my last trip to New Mexico with the family, where I knew I'd be shooting family portraits (single and groups), newborn and baby photos, a funeral, some landscapes, some front-yard birding, and the ABQ Balloon Fiesta. I took my 10-20 f3.5, 20-40 limited, DA*50-135 (SDM failed on this trip!), and a SMC Takumar 55mm f.18 and had everything I needed to do covered. I used every lens in due course but that was no where near my normal and isn't how I like to travel. . . . .
I am confident that you will come up with the best combination for you and your trip

regardless of what you take

have fun and put the camera down once in a while and just look

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-11-2018 at 04:08 PM.
06-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #28
PDL
Pentaxian

On my vacation last year I took:
K-3II
16-50mm f2.8
15-135mm f2.8 oops
50-135mm f2.8
8mm ultrawide

And this year I will take the same thing. Is it sort of heavy - yeah - but "thems the breaks" as it was once said and I just must suffer for my "art". Having GPS is a wonderful thing when setting going through your images as it really reduces the arguments as to where things were shot.

Last edited by PDL; 06-11-2018 at 10:17 PM.
06-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
On my vacation last year I took:
K-3II
16-50mm f2.8
15-135mm f2.8
8mm ultrawide

And this year I will take the same thing. Is it sort of heavy - yeah - but "thems the breaks" as it was once said and I just must suffer for my "art". Having GPS is a wonderful thing when setting going through your images as it really reduces the arguments as to where things were shot.
15-135 f2.8? Where do I sign up????
06-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Last month day hiking in Catalonia(France,Spain) and Barcelona K3, DA15, F24-50, Telephoto DA 50-200 unused but taken for WR. Lowe Pro 102 sling bag which works well as a foot rest on the plane and covered in a rain shower. Last 4 trips to European mountains I ditched the old 55-300 as extremely frustrating. The new 55-300 would be a better choice if a needed focal length. Enjoy the trip no matter what you take.