Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #31
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
fat finger strkes again

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
15-135 f2.8? Where do I sign up????
Fat finger/proof reading issue on my part. Although it would be "The One Lens to Rule Them All"

Corrected the entry. Mea Culpa

Last edited by PDL; 06-11-2018 at 10:26 PM.
06-12-2018, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Fat finger/proof reading issue on my part. Although it would be "The One Lens to Rule Them All"

Corrected the entry. Mea Culpa
All good. Just clowning around. It would be pretty amazing if it was the quality of a 50-135!
07-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I might be taking an SLR after all... I found a ME Super SE on the flea market here and a rough body but mint glass M 28mm f2.8 at my local camera repair shop. It’ll be this and the XA probably.
07-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Make sure the ME Super works - most of them have some kind of problem these days, it isn't a camera which ages well.

07-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As much as I enjoyed film cameras in a past life, I'd never go back to that when traveling since I prefer to travel light and quick. Film shots take longer for me to set up because I need to make sure I get it right (no immediate feedback). Film changes slow me down too, especially when the group is moving on and I'm looking for some shade to swap rolls. Then there's the bag of film rolls to pack and protect from xray and powerful flash for night shots due to low film ISO. I upgraded to a KP from a K10D for a recent vacation to Italy because I wanted high ISO for inside shots. The benefit I hadn't considered is that the high usable ISO also let me get away with slower (smaller) lenses and minimized the need for flash. That's my 2 cents.

I'm sure that whatever you choose with work out well for you. Have a great time!
07-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I took my KP with the following lenses to a family reunion last weekend. 1200 shots, many just of snapshot quality but I have some good ones that will make the hosts happy.
SMC DA 15 f/4 Ltd.
SMC DA 40 f/2.8 Ltd
FA 77 f/1.8 Ltd.
I even got some good shots of Bald Eagles arguing over a fish with the 77mm, but I was wishing I had brought my DA 55-300 PLM when cruising the lake where there were lots of Eagles and Kayaking relatives.
07-12-2018, 01:59 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

In February-April this year I took my K-5ii and a few lenses on a Round the World trip. By the time we got to Singapore the Pentax stayed in the hotel room and my little Panasonic TZ100 did most of the snapping ...

Search: rtw tz100 | Flickr

07-12-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

I like the K-01 with DA 21 for location/street photography... and you could put a DA 40 XS or Limited in the pocket in case it is needed.

I wish the K-S1 looked this good, this doesn't look like a DSLR at all...

07-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA / DAL 18-50 would work well on that camera also.
In use it would be longer but retracted it would be quite small.
07-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Nov 2016 I rode roughly 2500 miles by train to San Diego so I could drive the same path back as my daughter's co-driver becauses employment brought her back to our part of the country. I wasn't sure whether I would want to photograph much either direction, and I certainly didn't want to take up much space, so I took my Q-7 kit ..... and it worked out just fine.
07-23-2018, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Make sure the ME Super works - most of them have some kind of problem these days, it isn't a camera which ages well.
Mine seems to be metering accurately, but I've had the door pop open twice on me. So much for that roll of portra…

On a semi-related note, my brother in law is getting married in November and I've been asked to take some family photos at the wedding (NOT the primary photog or even a second shooter, but for the week leading up to the day, etc). As I've been talking about a new body for quite some time, my wife decided that it was time to upgrade my K-30. A new black KP is on it's way to me from B&H.
07-23-2018, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
. . . As I've been talking about a new body for quite some time, my wife decided that it was time to upgrade my K-30. A new black KP is on it's way to me from B&H.
you have a nice wife
07-23-2018, 02:29 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Mine seems to be metering accurately, but I've had the door pop open twice on me. So much for that roll of portra…

On a semi-related note, my brother in law is getting married in November and I've been asked to take some family photos at the wedding (NOT the primary photog or even a second shooter, but for the week leading up to the day, etc). As I've been talking about a new body for quite some time, my wife decided that it was time to upgrade my K-30. A new black KP is on it's way to me from B&H.
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
you have a nice wife
We can all imagine there was some pleading and begging and charts and graphs and ultimately she agreed. That's how the story in my head unfolds so I'm not jealous. LOL.
07-23-2018, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
We can all imagine there was some pleading and begging and charts and graphs and ultimately she agreed. That's how the story in my head unfolds so I'm not jealous. LOL.
I would imagine that

bribery may have been involved as well

not to mention pledges regarding housework and/or the honey do list
07-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #45

I know this is just wrong on here, but my carry-everywhere camera is a Canon PowerShot SD790. It's old, cheap, stainless steel, small, photos much better than my phone...and small. That's 100% of it, it's way smaller than my K-3 with just one lens. Hard to carry something good everywhere.