Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
You could recreate all these things by building sand castles......
I didn't notice, was a volleyball to paint a face on part of the included equipment?

Could Netflix be part of the package? They have a few photgraphy related shows.

06-13-2018, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I didn't notice, was a volleyball to paint a face on part of the included equipment?

Could Netflix be part of the package? They have a few photgraphy related shows.
Well, there is this final clause in the parameters:
"Clothing and survival items to keep yourself fed and healthy"

I interpret survival to include peace of mind and general contentment, which means any and every thing not specifically
excluded. So, I will be taking along a good hi-fi system. And I imagine the island will have a climate conducive for growing
raspberries and star fruit, (which should cover every zone in between).
06-13-2018, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This what you were thinking of Norm?Eeeeeuuuuwwwww

06-13-2018, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Well, there is this final clause in the parameters:
"Clothing and survival items to keep yourself fed and healthy"

I interpret survival to include peace of mind and general contentment, which means any and every thing not specifically
excluded. So, I will be taking along a good hi-fi system. And I imagine the island will have a climate conducive for growing
raspberries and star fruit, (which should cover every zone in between).
This desert island is starting to sound like a place too fancy for me to enjoy visiting because it too posh. I hate places like that. I identify with the Yogi Bera saying, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too busy."

Last edited by normhead; 06-13-2018 at 08:32 AM.
06-13-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Camera: Pentax K1 Mkii
Lens: Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro lens that's been Leitax adapted to K mount (focuses close, and for that odd wide angle could be used in portrait mode to shoot a series for a stitched pano)
Accessory: The most expensive RRS tripod with a RRS K1 L-bracket
SW: Adobe PhotoShop
Book: I've already purchased and read every photo book that I'm interested in. I need a motivational book, a companion for the lonely island, I choose my Holy Bible (AMP version)
Luxury: the current flagship,large-format, Epson printer and unlimited supply of ink and paper to print my best photos so that when I'm rescued I'd have a supply of prints all ready for sale

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-13-2018 at 09:36 AM.
06-13-2018, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Luxury: the current flagship,large-format, Epson printer and unlimited supply of ink and paper to print my best photos so that when I'm rescued I'd have a supply of prints all ready for sale
By my interpretation of the rules, that is already included.

A printer with plentiful supplies of paper and ink

However, two printers and double unlimited paper and ink would certainly be luxurious.
06-13-2018, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

By my interpretation of the rules, that is already included.

A printer with plentiful supplies of paper and ink

However, two printers and double unlimited paper and ink would certainly be luxurious.
I guess that I missed that. Thanks for pointing out.

OK then, instead of the printer, I'll ask for matting and framing supplies. That way I can mat/frame all my desert island prints and then they'll fetch an even higher price when I sell them after rescue.

06-13-2018, 10:27 AM - 5 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You could recreate all these things by building sand castles......
Great idea! But wouldn't the pictures look grainy????
06-13-2018, 11:07 AM - 3 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Preparing for the 'three hour tour' -- my "Desert Island Kit"

One camera: I choose my current Pentax, the K-3 II. I'm very familiar with it and can work the controls with my eyes closed, and it strikes just the right balance for me between performance and size. Like any good castaway, I look for multiple uses for my gear, so the K-3 will be handy for banging spikes while I build my shelter.

One lens: This is a difficult toss-up between the DA* 50-135 and DA 35mm Limited. My 50-135 has been converted to screwdrive, so there's no fear of an SDM failure. Its screwdrive noise may become useful for signalling would-be rescuers from afar or warning predators off as I hike across the island. On the other hand, the 35mm Limited would be a great general-use lens; I'll take that one, and crop my images for greater 'reach' if necessary.

One accessory: Easy choice - my Sirui tripod. Not only will it afford a standing support for my camera, it will serve other purposes: the monpod section makes a handy-dandy club with the K-3 at its end; I could probably lash the three legs together end-to-end to make a mast for my rescue flag; and the ballhead might be used as a freely rotating base for a wind direction indicator. Not sure why I'd need to know the wind direction, but certainly it will be a life-saving bit of information at some point.

One piece of post-processing software: Another easy choice -- the latest version of RawTherapee. I'll devote my days of boredom on the island to finally use all of its capability. Of course, learning some of its functions may require the help of my buddy, the son of Gilligan's Island Professor.

One photography-related book: From my library -- Sussman, The Amateur Photographer's Handbook, 8th Ed. 562 pages crammed with useful information. It's dated now, printed in B&W, but it's a great reference.

One photography-related luxury item
: A blanket-sized microfibre cleaning cloth.

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-13-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo
06-13-2018, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had to give this quite considerable thought. I expected the choices to be easier than they were. Anyway, here's my kit:

One camera:

I wanted to take my K10D-clone Samsung GX-10, as it's my favourite camera to use, and I love the way the CCD sensor records light... but I have to think practically, so it's going to be my K-3II. It'll handle low light better, and the GPS may come in handy for more than photography!

One lens:

This is really difficult. I want to be able to take wide angle shots of the beautiful, curving beaches, but I don't want to miss out on photographing the plentiful wildlife! And something with reasonable close-focusing capability would be handy, for shots of the smaller bugs and critters... It pains me to do this, but I'm going to have to choose my Sigma 18-300 super-zoom. It's the biggest compromise optically of all my lenses (obviously), and needs stopping down for best results - so good light is a must, or else a tripod. But stopped down it's actually very decent (even at the long end). I can live with it optically for the flexibility it'll offer.

One accessory:

A decent, light-weight carbon fibre tripod and ball head. I'll need this for longer exposures, and they'll be quite common with that slow super-zoom lens, I think

One piece of post-processing software:

Darktable 2.4.4 - it's missing the library management capabilities of Lightroom, so I'd have to manage files through folders and naming, but I prefer Darktable's processing features. In any case, I heard in advance that the island's PC might be running Linux

One photography-related book:

I'm so tempted to cheat here and say I'd take my Kindle eReader, but that's not really playing by the rules, is it?! So, I guess I'll take one of the Magnum yearbooks. There's plenty of variety, and usually quite a lot of people photos, which might offer some company on those rare occasions where I'm feeling just a bit too isolated. But I'll also write something of my own while I'm stranded - a diary, perhaps, with specific sections on my photographic work

One photography-related luxury item:

I'm choosing more software... GIMP 2.8 and a handful of plug-ins (is that cheating? ), including G'MIC with Pat David's excellent film emulations. If I can't have the plug-ins, I'll reluctantly take GIMP on its own
06-14-2018, 01:03 AM - 3 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Camera: Samsung GX-10. I was tempted to say Leica M9 because that full frame CCD is my dream sensor, but I'll stick with the GX-10 because it never lets me down.

Lens: Super Takumar 20mm. Because somehow it seems to see things exactly the way I see them in my mind's eye.

Accessory: Sekonic L-308S. Which means that actually my desert island kit is exactly the same as my day-to-day Dartmoor kit.

Software: Photoshop CS5 would do everything I need, without monthly fees.

Photography-related book. Baudrillard's "Art and Artefact". Not exactly a technical how-to guide, but lots of interesting stuff to think about on that sunny desert island beach.

Photography-related luxury item: Cara Delevigne.
06-14-2018, 01:41 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote

Ha!

You'll never want to be rescued.

06-14-2018, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
*snip*

...it took me a while to get that (how is that related to... oh! I get it!)... but good choice (I would have probably chosen Bar Refaeli, but that's another story )
06-14-2018, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
As much I'd love to stay on this desert island, I would go photographically stir crazy after a few weeks. Where are the glaciers, cathedrals, alpine forests, museums, rugged mountain ranges, neon-city lights, rolling pastures, rain forests, etc.??? Unless this island has all the sights & scenery of Iceland, Hong Kong, Colorado, Tokyo, British Columbia, London, Costa Rica, Paris. Arizona, etc. etc. I would really want off the island.
Yes! ..... I've been wondering what I'm going to do with this stuff.
06-14-2018, 07:18 AM - 2 Likes   #60
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
As much I'd love to stay on this desert island, I would go photographically stir crazy after a few weeks. Where are the glaciers, cathedrals, alpine forests, museums, rugged mountain ranges, neon-city lights, rolling pastures, rain forests, etc.??? Unless this island has all the sights & scenery of Iceland, Hong Kong, Colorado, Tokyo, British Columbia, London, Costa Rica, Paris. Arizona, etc. etc. I would really want off the island.
I considered that too... but actually, I think I'd be OK.

Some things to photograph on, or from, the island:

- Plants & flowers
- Birds
- Animals
- Insects
- Shells
- Landscapes
- Sunrise / sunsets
- Lightning storms
- Astro
- Food (from my beach barbecue )
- Still life
- Abstract
- Self portraits

I reckon I could keep myself interested and challenged for quite some time with that little lot. And I would enjoy the peace and solitude... I've had enough of bustling cities