Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Heading to NYC next week for a few days.

Heading to NYC next week with my family for a few days. Was really hoping to pick up a 10-20 but financially couldn't do it. I will be stopping by B&H to at least get some hands on time with a few items I've been looking at, maybe I could pick up the Rokinon 8mm or is that to much of a learning curve? Anyway what kind of kit should i take that i have don't want to carry to much gear around could take it all and leave in hotel room but don't know if i like that idea. I think the 16-50 should be my carry around lens. should i take the 70-200 or will it be useless in the city? Could i get away with just 1 of my primes I know they aren't the widest maybe the 18-250 not the best image quality but not superbad either it's a family trip not a photo trip, I am over thinking. Any suggestions i have looked at other threads on the same topic was just looking for some fresh insight.

06-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey there!

Overthinking is not too bad but in the end the only way to really know what's best for us is to try different options. I think that for street photography the 16-50 mm is very versatile, we can 'always' take some steps closer —I don't think telephoto lens are really that useful but again, it's a matter of taste.

In my case, I'm happy with my primes 21-35-50-135 but when I had to do street photography (Caracas) I wouldn't have the time to change lenses or relax (due to insecurity the best way to work is to do it fast! —point, shoot, hide the camera) that's when a zoom lens (even my kit) comes into game to really save the day, (of course I rely on developing my photos to achieve the desired aesthetics).

Hope you find what you need and keep shooting, happy trip!

Last edited by krre23; 06-13-2018 at 08:06 AM.
06-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

16-50 is a good choice. You'll appreciate the extra 2mm width (compared to zooms that start at 18mm) when photographing buildings.

Leave the 70-200 at home. That focal length can cover architectural details or some of the weird characters walking around, but you already said this is a family trip rather than photo trip. Family gets bored when you loiter for 30 minutes taking close ups of gargoyles and window trim

Your primes might not see much use. 35mm/2.4 doesn't offer much that you don't already get from the 16-50/2.8. One of your 50mm primes provides better low light and thin depth of field, so maybe bring one of those. For night cityscapes 16mm/2.8 is IMO more useful than 50/1.4 but having options isn't bad. Maybe go out with a 50 after the family is in for the night. Which 50? Do you value autofocus or maximum aperture more?

P.S. You mentioned buying a wider lens. I'm selling a Roikinon 14 and a Tamron 10-24. I could meet you near B&H or downtown if either fit your budget. Pentax DA* 16-50; Tamron 10-24; Rokinon 14mm - PentaxForums.com
06-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
16-50 should be great, and bring which ever plastic prime you like more for general carry. I'd probably go with the 50 as I don't really like 35mm on crop. Just bring one.

06-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It really depends on what you chose to prioritize.

- If you don't want to be hindered by lens changes, just bring the 18-250 and it'll be like having a superzoom.
- If you want to take good quality pictures, bring the 16-50
- If you feel that you can change lens once in a while, bring the 70-200 as well (I would use it for shots across the river, or from panoramic terraces on tall buildings etc.)
- An UWA is almost mandatory IMHO in a city with tall buildings and relatively narrow street... I missed not having one when visiting Akihabara in Tokyo, for instance.
06-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter

No way I would want to haul the 70-200 around NYC. If your going to need the reach of the 70-200 I'd say bring the 18-250. I'd also take the 16-50. That extra 2mm can make a real big difference plus f 2.8 is better for evening shots. Primes can get you killed trying to frame your shot :-). Taxi drivers stop for nothing.
06-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
16-50 is a good choice. You'll appreciate the extra 2mm width (compared to zooms that start at 18mm) when photographing buildings.

Leave the 70-200 at home. That focal length can cover architectural details or some of the weird characters walking around, but you already said this is a family trip rather than photo trip. Family gets bored when you loiter for 30 minutes taking close ups of gargoyles and window trim

Your primes might not see much use. 35mm/2.4 doesn't offer much that you don't already get from the 16-50/2.8. One of your 50mm primes provides better low light and thin depth of field, so maybe bring one of those. For night cityscapes 16mm/2.8 is IMO more useful than 50/1.4 but having options isn't bad. Maybe go out with a 50 after the family is in for the night. Which 50? Do you value autofocus or maximum aperture more?

P.S. You mentioned buying a wider lens. I'm selling a Roikinon 14 and a Tamron 10-24. I could meet you near B&H or downtown if either fit your budget. Pentax DA* 16-50; Tamron 10-24; Rokinon 14mm - PentaxForums.com
Thank you for the offer the 8mm is really just an excuse to try a cheap fish eye, LOL. Thanks for the input Guy's really appreciate it 16-50 2.8 it is, I might throw the 50 1.4, in my pocket also . The 70-200 was really only a thought for the Staten island ferry. IDK how close it goes to the statue of liberty as we are not forking out the money to stand on the island my 2 little ones are too short under 4 feet to be allowed in Lady Liberty.

06-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Smart move avoiding Statue of Liberty. Long lines, partly due to security theater, means you waste an entire day to see a statue.

50mm on the SI Ferry is more than adequate for a snapshot of the statue. It has been photographed so often that you're unlikely to get anything unique regardless of which lens you use.
06-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Being an ex New Yorker, with my adult son still living in Hells Kitchen (midtown manhattan west side), my suggestion is to travel as light as possible. You are not likely to need telephoto. One zoom or two small primes should work well. When I go to NYC and that is at least once a month I mostly take two limiteds with my K-3 or K-5 body, DA 21 and DA 40 limiteds. NYC can be very congested and you will not want to be carrying a heavy kit around in congested areas. If I go into more open areas of the city such as Liberty park, Central park or a stroll across the Brooklyn bridge I will take my DA 16-85 zoom instead. If you have the DA* 16-50 that lens will cover 99% of what you are likely to photograph anywhere in Manhattan. That may be all you need.
06-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Smart move avoiding Statue of Liberty. Long lines, partly due to security theater, means you waste an entire day to see a statue.

50mm on the SI Ferry is more than adequate for a snapshot of the statue. It has been photographed so often that you're unlikely to get anything unique regardless of which lens you use.
That's true of many "must-go" places... when I had 2 hrs free time in Barcelona a couple of months ago I could chose to try and get inside the Sagrada Familia (which, I later discovered from other people's accounts, was a fat chance... it was booked for the next 5 hrs) or get a feeling for the city and have a stroll in the historical center.
06-13-2018, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by focusr3 Quote
I think the 16-50 should be my carry around lens.
Me too. I usually recommend the 12-24 in every "What lens to take to...?" thread. In 2012 I had a 8-day vacation in New York City. I had quite a few lens options and boiled it down to the 10-17 fisheye, 12-24 UWA and the Sigma 17-70.

12mm.

70mm.

17-70 at 17mm.

12mm.

70mm.

70mm.

10mm.

10mm.

13mm.

10mm.

10mm.

17-70 at 17mm.

Fisheye at 17mm.

31mm.

10mm.

Well, you could use the wrong WB :-) This was just the from-the-boat shot. Had some construction going on. 58mm.

I had the opposite experience - essentially no line or wait, though it was a drizzly weekday.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-14-2018 at 06:48 AM.
06-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Me too. I usually recommend the 12-24 in every "What lens to take to...?" thread. In 2012 I had a 8-day vacation in New York City. I had quite a few lens options and boiled it down to the 10-17 fisheye, 12-24 UWA and the Sigma 17-70.

12mm.

70mm.

17-70 at 17mm.

12mm.

70mm.

70mm.

10mm.

10mm.

13mm.

10mm.

10mm.

17-70 at 17mm.

Fisheye at 17mm.

31mm.

10mm.

Well, you could use the wrong WB :-) This was just the from-the-boat shot. Had some construction going on. 58mm.

I had the opposite experience - essentially no line or wait, though it was a drizzly day. A day or two later, on the island.

Nice pictures. A lot has changed around the World Trade Center site since you took your pictures. The two towers under construction in your pictures; 1 WTC and 4 WTC are now finished and opened. You can go up to the observatory at the top of 1 WTC, great views if you are lucky enough to get a clear day. Unfortunately NYC can be humid and very hazy at this time of the year. Also 3 WTC is now up and about to open. The memorial plaza around the site is now open and the museum is now open and definitely worth visiting.
06-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the 16-50 and a fast 50mm (either your f/1.4 or f/1.7). ** The 8 mm is very wide (of course it is a FF fish eye), so to put my comment in context--I use fisheye a lot on my Q, and FF fisheye on my K-5, and I have yet to be comfortable using the 8 mm fish eye. So yes it is likely a learning curve/not something to learn on a trip to NYC.

Actually I think a 20 ~ 28 mm (30 to 42 FF equivalent) would account for most of my pictures (here in NYC/my home)--but the fact is the way we look/our comfortable FL, is probably the same no matter where we are, so make sure your favorite FL is covered, and if that happens to be 200 mm, then take the long zoom.

_____
** for dark churches/museums/night (e.g., the Met Museum middle ages sculpture area and the Met Museum Cloisters) you may/will want a fast lens.

Last edited by dms; 06-13-2018 at 08:21 PM.
06-14-2018, 01:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A nice series.
As far ast the 12-24 is concerned, you were on the limit... 10 or 8mm would have probably been a little more comfortable.
If you had not mentioned the "wrong" WB in the Lady Liberty shot, I would have thought it was a normal evening shot