Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Been taking lots of portfolio building shots and not enough of the stuff I actually love.

06-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
Been taking lots of portfolio building shots and not enough of the stuff I actually love.
What kind of portfolio are you building, and what are the kinds of shots that you love? If you don't mind me asking...
06-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got into film (good) but not that happy with the results (bad) and spending money on lenses I otherwise wouldn't want (bad) to handle being part of a 'film kit'.
06-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Got into film (good) but not that happy with the results (bad) and spending money on lenses I otherwise wouldn't want (bad) to handle being part of a 'film kit'.
What are you not happy about? Could it be that the lab isn't that good? Are they scanning the negatives or are you doing that? Or maybe you should try different films?

06-15-2018, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They were scanning the negatives. I'm going to try and start doing my own dslr-based negative copying soon. I posted examples in my thread about starting the journey into 35mm film. Exposure issues, almost always under-exposure. I partially blame the camera due to how the over/under-exposure warnings are shown. I've started considering getting something else though I really like the control layout and general size & feel of the Ricoh XR-7 that I bought. Scans come back static-laden and foggy which seems to be classic under-exposed film results.

My goal is to be able, in a year or so, to take off for about six weeks on a long vacation and shoot a lot of film.
06-15-2018, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of my goals are going well, with a few falling by the wayside. I've gotten further into mixing my own black and white developer, so far; caffenol, rodinal and now ID-11. That means I have shot a lot of film, more than I did before digital.

What I'm not getting done is building a medium format kit. I just can't seem to decide what I want...
06-15-2018, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Thanks for the reminder that I did indeed have some ideas earlier this year, when it was too cold to do anything except sit around and come up with ideas. Now that it's too hot to do anything except sit around and remember ideas and read other ideas that remind me of previous ideas, i dug these up from February.

1) Make more solo photography journeys. Not literal trips... just photowalks around town by myself. No wife, no dogs, nothing but me and the camera.
2) Try Instragram.
3) Try photo scavenger hunts when times get slow.
4) Print more photos (I previously was given the idea of 1/wk, which seems reasonable).

Analysis:
1) I haven't taken many walks about town yet just for photo purposes. My motivation is very weather-oriented, however, and this year spring (and therefore comfortable temperatures) lasted about 8-10 days. I did make a few trips, but not as many as I'd hoped.
2) I'm still with Flickr. My wife tells me that people interact more on Instagram, but I just can't bring myself to do it.
3) I did try some scavenger hunt type projects, and also a 100 steps project. Just short ones, nothing special or significant. They were interesting, and I think with more effort something very interesting could result, but I'm not anywhere near that yet.
4) Nope. No prints yet this year. I can still turn this around, though.

That's the halftime score... I'll watch and learn and hope to compare notes in December!

06-15-2018, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
They were scanning the negatives. I'm going to try and start doing my own dslr-based negative copying soon. I posted examples in my thread about starting the journey into 35mm film. Exposure issues, almost always under-exposure. I partially blame the camera due to how the over/under-exposure warnings are shown. I've started considering getting something else though I really like the control layout and general size & feel of the Ricoh XR-7 that I bought. Scans come back static-laden and foggy which seems to be classic under-exposed film results.

My goal is to be able, in a year or so, to take off for about six weeks on a long vacation and shoot a lot of film.
My new grandchildren are photogenic. I haven’t sold anything. I haven’t bought much. I discovered if I remove my thumb from the rear AF button the shutter speed of the KP approaches 8 FPS and K-1 does more than 4. Catches the smile if they are sitting still.

Also learned a 7D and 24-70 L is a wonderful combination in experienced hands and my son discovered the FA43.

Good things have happened, but not the things I planned for.
06-15-2018, 07:25 PM - 6 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, the 2018 photo budget is already blown, so I can safely say that I've finished 6 months ahead of schedule.
06-16-2018, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtrego Quote
Well, the 2018 photo budget is already blown, so I can safely say that I've finished 6 months ahead of schedule.
That's how you do it, good job!
06-16-2018, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtrego Quote
I managed to hit that goal in mid-2017!
06-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
How are you doing with your 2018 Photography objectives?
What the become rich and famous one.... well half way through 2018, I'm settling on now just becoming rich part of the objective plan.
06-17-2018, 12:11 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My main goal is going poorly. I planned to do more writing for my website, but have so far failed completely. I've done a great job at photographing things for articles, and in sketching out articles, but haven't found the time or impetus to actually finish anything.

My secondary goal of more speaking engagements is going well though, 4 so far and the largest of these netted me a couple more. I'm on track for 8 or 9 this year with another early in 2019. 3 of these are not strictly about photography or the things I enjoy photographing, but all end up being photo heavy.
06-17-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
My main goal is going poorly. I planned to do more writing for my website, but have so far failed completely. I've done a great job at photographing things for articles, and in sketching out articles, but haven't found the time or impetus to actually finish anything.

My secondary goal of more speaking engagements is going well though, 4 so far and the largest of these netted me a couple more. I'm on track for 8 or 9 this year with another early in 2019. 3 of these are not strictly about photography or the things I enjoy photographing, but all end up being photo heavy.
Haven't paid a visit to your site until now.
Looks very interesting... I read the article on UV-light photography and it was very interesting (the glowing frass cracked me up! )
06-17-2018, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

My goal is to photograph interesting things I see. So far, I'm doing just fine.