Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 01:37 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

ahahah so true. This year I partecitated to two workshops... is incredible the people's surprise when they see a camera neither Canon or Nikon or Olympus or Fuji and that makes pictures!!!! In the latest workshop we made also some astrophotograpy... you can imagine the feelings of the other partecipantes when I used: Astrotracer with GPS, builtin leds and night vision LCD.....
Not to mention the HDR without the tripod or the pixel shift.....

06-15-2018, 01:48 AM - 2 Likes   #17

Yes...an exstended conclusion

... using a Pentax (Ricoh?) - You are doomed!

Tell them You still use an Kodak Instamatic and You get respect!

Am I right....
06-15-2018, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #18

Been shooting with Pentax since the early 1980s starting with the ME Super. I get the Canon/Nikon question all the time and when I say Pentax, get the look and the conversation goes somewhere else. I worked in a photo lab for 4 years in the early 2000s and quickly learned that all of the discussion about cameras is just a lot of talk, most and that included some professionals still couldn't make a good photo worth a flip. It was still mainly film in those days and their "great" photos were created by a minimum wage worker in the lab.
06-15-2018, 05:06 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I have "made" three Pentaxians in my cycle.
Not to upstage anyone, but although I rarely have any impact on more experienced photographers, I have made probably over a dozen converts among beginners. People get excited mostly with SR and WR, and by the pictures I show them.

06-15-2018, 05:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Heathens!!!
06-15-2018, 06:07 AM - 4 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I have "made" three Pentaxians in my cycle
Being system agnostic* myself, I prefer to teach my students to think for themselves, and make equipment choices upon their own financial circumstances and needs.

*no company has made the perfect camera, Leica was my first love...after that I became a polygamist.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-15-2018 at 10:21 AM.
06-15-2018, 06:12 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter

Two days ago a co-worker asked me my opinion on what they should buy for a DSLR and lenses with a budget of $1000. They were going to use it for family events, vacations and whatever. I told him if it were me I would purchase a used K-3 II and a Sigma 18-300 and you can grow from there if you so desire. He seemed ok with that but I also felt I needed to tell him the pro's and con's. So I told him that value wise you were not going to even come close to Pentax. I told him that you could spend over $2000 for a Nikon or a Canon and not compare to the features that you could get in a Pentax for less than half the cost. I also explained built-in image stabilization and Astro-Tracer. But I also explained that Pentax did not have the third party support and that it's autofocus was not quite as good as Nikon or Canon. I also provided him the links to this forum and the Nikon and Canon forums along with the link to cameradecision.com and suggested that he do some homework to make certain that he was making the right choice.

Here's the kicker. I told him when he was going to compare models that He should compare the K-3 / K-3 II to the Canon 80D and Nikon D7200 as they are IMO the most comparable across the brands. As soon as I mentioned the D7200 the discussion was over. He said someone else recommended it and that was what he was going to purchase. I told him do your own research and I was a bit shocked when he told me he didn't have time for research and was going to buy the Nikon D7200 with 2 lenses from Amazon.

Me being the fool that I am came back and gave him a link to Adorama for the exact same kit with some extra accessories such as cleaning kit, SD card, Cheap camera case and Corel Paint Shop editing software for the exact same price as the kit he had found on Amazon. His response. I only buy from Amazon.

The moral of this story to me is that I know there are many Canon and Nikon shooters who made educated decisions based upon their shooting needs. But I believe the vast majority are just part of the herd who buy just because of the name or someone said buy this. They have absolutely no clue as to what they are doing and are not even willing to do a little research into their decision.

06-15-2018, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You mean this look:
LOL

I shot a wedding last month when one of the groomsmen asked me How I liked shooting with a Pentax and he too told me he never met anyone who used Pentax and he uses a Cannon. I was all "Whatever dude... these shots are gonna Rock your world!!!" But of course I didint' say that, I just nodded and smiled.
06-15-2018, 06:17 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
^ I love everything about digital - but I still miss film... how come?
Two different technologies that produce the same result. I still like the idea of him, just not the time it take.

I have 2200 images on my hard drive taken this year. I doubt I have 2000 negatives from 30 years.
06-15-2018, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't ya'all know Pentax is for rank amateurs? A real pro would never in a lifetime use Pentax. Besides, who wants to shoot 110 film?
06-15-2018, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

I got used to it, but one day was shocked when one of the photographers with Nikon spotted K-1 in my hands at the Renaissance Fest, and asked how do I like K-1. He did not say Pentax, he asked specifically about the model.
I was like OMG!!!! You know Pentax!!! I almost fell in love with that guy
06-15-2018, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

My step son moved to North Bay a few weeks ago. I went to the local camera store, to look at camera bags, and found one I eventually bought. But I wanted to see if my stuff would fit, so out i went to the car grabbed the bag with my K-1 and a few lenses and started arranging things in the bag to see if everything would fit. The store clerk said "OMG a K-1, how do you like it, I've been thinking of getting one." Here's a guy in camera store that doesn't even carry Pentax. I had folks waiting in the car so I just told him I liked it and offered to discuss it more the next time I'm in.

This was a young guy , way too young to have been part of Pentax in it's prime.

You can say Pentax has no marketing presence, but whatever they are doing it worked for him. According to many posts on the forum, that's not even possible, I'm sure some users are thinking I just made that up.

Last edited by normhead; 06-15-2018 at 08:47 AM.
06-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Two different technologies that produce the same result. I still like the idea of him, just not the time it take.

I have 2200 images on my hard drive taken this year. I doubt I have 2000 negatives from 30 years.
I don't take any more pictures today than I did with film.

With film, I shot Kodachrome; when I was done, I sent the film off and professionally designed and operated automation took over and produce a slide I could show on a screen.

With Digital, I shoot JPEG; as I stand there, professionally design automation takes over and produces a file I can show on a screen.

You are right - different technologies produce the same result
06-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Start juggling your pancakes and make them jealous. Works for me. OK, not juggling. Fondling, maybe.

I try to start talking technique as quickly as possible, we're all in the same hobby.
06-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My step son moved to North Bay a few weeks ago. I went to the local camera store, to look at camera bags, and found one I eventually bought. But I wanted to see if my stuff would fit, so out i went to the car grabbed the bag with my K-1 and a few lenses and started arranging things in the bag to see if everything would fit. The store clerk said "OMG a K-1, how do you like it, I've been thinking of getting one." Here's a guy in camera store that doesn't even carry Pentax. I had folks waiting in the car so I just told him I liked it and offered to discuss it more the next time I'm in.

This was a young guy , way too young to have been part of Pentax in it's prime.

You can say Pentax has no marketing presence, but whatever they are doing it worked for him. According to many posts on the forum, that's not even possible, I'm sure some users are thinking I just made that up.
I believe that... had a similar experience, however I'm the one surprising the (old) guys with Pentax...