Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2018, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
well it looks like my offhand comment against homogenization in the photographic industry will come to pass: the Big two are both allegedly coming out with full frame mirrorless cameras to attempt to compete with SONY.

07-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
well it looks like my offhand comment against homogenization in the photographic industry will come to pass: the Big two are both allegedly coming out with full frame mirrorless cameras to attempt to compete with SONY.
Haven't the Big Two allegedly been coming out with mirrorless this or that or medium format for years? Still waiting to see that Sony medium format...
07-06-2018, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The opposite actually happened to me once... I was trying a difficult shot, braced against a wall, because it was already dark and there was jack sweet light.
I had my K-01, with the kit lens on, and was using one of those LCD loupes to remedy the lack of viewfinder, so the "thing" looked imposing to an untrained eye - it would have looked a jumbled mess to someone with a little of photographic knowledge, especially because you knida tend to use loupes for video, not stills...
So, a guy with his girlfriend passes by and says to her: "see? that's a nice camera!"
So, you don't have a yellow K-01?
07-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
after that I became a polygamist.
Now we know a little more about you !!

07-06-2018, 07:11 PM - 4 Likes   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Haven't the Big Two allegedly been coming out with mirrorless this or that or medium format for years?
HA! I would hedge my bets on Nikon going medium format - they actually have a history in that market.

---------- Post added 2018-07-07 at 12:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Now we know a little more about you !!
Not really, A man could marry a deaf woman and a blind woman and they would still find a way to communicate, and come to the conclusion that he is the problem in the relationship.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-06-2018 at 07:18 PM.
07-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, you don't have a yellow K-01?

...the Panda one
07-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #67
Pentaxian

I recently talked to a friend who shoots Fuji X (also an amateur). His impression was that nobody buys Fuji, so Pentax isn't much different (I agree, if compared to sony, canon or nikon, Fuji is probably minuscule). Another friend who lived in Japan for a while had the impression Pentax is a very popular brand. Anyhow, I always had nice interactions with people talking about photography, strangers or friends, and the discussion quickly went from gear (and me using Pentax) to other topics. But I don't hang out much with RealPros™.

07-14-2018, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I recently talked to a friend who shoots Fuji X (also an amateur). His impression was that nobody buys Fuji, so Pentax isn't much different (I agree, if compared to sony, canon or nikon, Fuji is probably minuscule). Another friend who lived in Japan for a while had the impression Pentax is a very popular brand. Anyhow, I always had nice interactions with people talking about photography, strangers or friends, and the discussion quickly went from gear (and me using Pentax) to other topics. But I don't hang out much with RealPros™.
That reminds me: Early December before last, I went to Toronto City Hall to photograph fireworks and lights at the seasonal light festival kick -off. I met an international student from Japan. She had a Fuji she couldn't figure out and she asked me for help. She saw that my camera was Pentax, and she said "Pentax is a good camera" and gave me thumbs up. (It started spitting rain, and most of the Canikony crowd squawked and ran for cover. I just kept shooting.)
07-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
That reminds me: Early December before last, I went to Toronto City Hall to photograph fireworks and lights at the seasonal light festival kick -off. I met an international student from Japan. She had a Fuji she couldn't figure out and she asked me for help. She saw that my camera was Pentax, and she said "Pentax is a good camera" and gave me thumbs up. (It started spitting rain, and most of the Canikony crowd squawked and ran for cover. I just kept shooting.)
One can get an idea of the popularity of Pentax products by looking at eBay. No shortage of items for sale, which means people in Japan are buying them.
07-28-2018, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #70
T T

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote

Pentax is a good camera, and best of all, even the entry level dlsr is weather-proof, unfortunately its being drowned out by the better marketing hype of other brands.

When rain comes down, pentaxians will stand their ground while others run for cover.
07-28-2018, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by T T Quote
Pentax is a good camera, and best of all, even the entry level dlsr is weather-proof...
Honestly, I am really in shock at how much the really "basic" weather-proofing of other brands is publicized...

and then you have the amazing tropicalization of Pentax bodies, and really few people know the difference.

When you take in your hands a Pentax K-3 and a Sony A7II... the difference in the "touch&feeling" is simply shocking.
07-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #72

It's fun to add how many commonplace features were first done by PENTAX. SLR, SLR AF, spot metering, mirrorless, pentaprism, etc.
07-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrMojo Quote
I'll post this little tale here
I had a similar experience last time I was at Multnomah falls in Oregon there were many people with fancy camera rigs but when I snapped a photo with my Silver Canon AE-1 Program and wound the film it drew a lot of attention and genuine smiles from people that couldn't believe I was actually using a film camera. It was kinda fun to stand out like that.

The funny thing is when I switched to Pentax, I thought Pentax was a more common camera company since my friends in high school used K1000's in their photography classes and Pentax has been around forever. It wasn't until after a while I found out Pentax is just as much an underdog as the Sony Alpha mount DSLRs I had before that were basically borrowed old Minolta technology

Last edited by stillshot2; 07-28-2018 at 11:10 PM.
08-25-2018, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #74
pxt

Problem with Pentax is availablity of lens. Sometimes people change system for that. When I change K200D for K3 II I ask yourselfs about changing system to another. I know that I will buy in near future new lens etc. I try old Canon to take few shots. I know what I want change, what set, but I can't find option on about 10 years old body. At the end I have to use auto to make documentary shots in my works.

When I get new Canon and Nikon body in price around K3 II it looks ok, but quality of plastic make me feeling that is overpriced chinese. When quality old Canon 30D was ok, what I see was below of them.

Weatherproof body and higher quality was my choice. 77mm limited and I get compact all day around set. Pentax gets me comfort of use.

I don't want massive sets of lens, because I don't have huge money so lens availablity is not huge deal. Limited series is unique for system. So I want few good, compact lens and that is all.

I choose Pentax as best price to value option. Only sometimes AF could be better.