Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 03:45 PM - 4 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turn it into fun.

The best part about this is when you go head to head with the unbelievers and are comparing images, either screen or print. The discussion usually starts off with a nonchalant....oh!!….that's nice, or if your lucky.. pretty good, followed by immediate closer scrutiny and even some exif data mining and pixel peeping, all of which is generally followed by...actually, that's very good (and I love this bit)...you must know what your doing...are you a pro ?

At this point you can play the amateur card, and put all the praise on the camera (sort of a reverse "you must have a good camera"). Re-actions are often quite fun to observe.

Our camera club has two other Pentax users, one recently bought my old K5 with a Tamron 18-200, as a backup to their Nikon entry level model, the Nikon is apparently gathering dust now. The other uses a K1. I know two of the state judges that we use are Pentax users, one has the 645.

In our little retail shop in a rural town I sold a few pentax bodies & lenses after putting my old K200 in the window, someone enquired, having a film Pentax and a bag of k mount lenses, and were lamenting the "death" of Pentax.....I pointed they could use their lenses on the K200 and invited them to bring their lenses in a try it. They did, I sent them for a walk down the street with the mysterious digital camera and one of their lenses. Came back...bought it.
Word got around (rural town....its how things work), I had several enquiries from other closet Pentax film users and when I put my K20 in the window, it lasted all of 72 hours and as it walked out the door the person coming in the door was very dis-appointed as they wanted to buy it. Sold them a new one.

Even here, I know of three people with Pentax film kits from family estates. This is probably a market that Pentax could pursue much more aggressively...…(picture the advert: a young person, sorting through grandpa's old stuff, perhaps in an attic or room, with sunlight filtering through a skylight, and discovering a bag of Pentax stuff...has flashbacks to family days with grandpa/ma taking photos with that camera, filled with fun & laughter. Scene cuts to the modern Pentax K3, KP, K1, whatever, and a voice over saying don't throw away the heritage, just add the new generation to the old and carry on, YOU are that generation...as the old lenses shown in the ad are bolted on). It could be a very powerful advert...and Pentax, its my idea...ya cant use it without negotiation with me.

06-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Even here, I know of three people with Pentax film kits from family estates. This is probably a market that Pentax could pursue much more aggressively...…(picture the advert: a young person, sorting through grandpa's old stuff, perhaps in an attic or room, with sunlight filtering through a skylight, and discovering a bag of Pentax stuff...has flashbacks to family days with grandpa/ma taking photos with that camera, filled with fun & laughter. Scene cuts to the modern Pentax K3, KP, K1, whatever, and a voice over saying don't throw away the heritage, just add the new generation to the old and carry on, YOU are that generation...as the old lenses shown in the ad are bolted on). It could be a very powerful advert...and Pentax, its my idea...ya cant use it without negotiation with me.
That's a pretty good advert scene.

What's your profession?
Advertising?
06-15-2018, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's a pretty good advert scene.

What's your profession?
Advertising?
Nah....Professor of the School of Life.
06-16-2018, 01:17 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
*snip*

having a film Pentax and a bag of k mount lenses

*snip*
That's why I bought my first camera, a K100Ds.
You rarely choose Pentax, it's Pentax that choses you

06-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Besides, who wants to shoot 110 film?
Aye, I'm forever putting Black & White film in the K1... at the wrong times for certain shoots.
06-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #36
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I'm lucky with who I meet. Can't remember having met any snobbery, just curiosity.

What I find interesting, though, is that when I tell people I'm an enthusiast photographer they always ask the "Canon or Nikon?" question. Never once has any other brand been suggested. It seems mirrorless isn't seen as "serious".
06-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two years ago my brother wanted to get a DSLR. He sent me some links and asked me which of these Nikons I thought he should get. He mentioned he still had his old Pentax film camera and a couple of lenses. I sent him back some links about Pentax. How the old manual lenses work with todays DSLRs. The WR. The more bang for your buck. He bought a K-3.

06-18-2018, 08:45 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The best part about this is when you go head to head with the unbelievers and are comparing images, either screen or print. The discussion usually starts off with a nonchalant....oh!!….that's nice, or if your lucky.. pretty good, followed by immediate closer scrutiny and even some exif data mining and pixel peeping, all of which is generally followed by...actually, that's very good (and I love this bit)...you must know what your doing...are you a pro ?

I have several portfolios of my work- all prints. I know which images were taken on which camera and I keep a private tally of which images draw the most attention - Thus far, Leica and Pentax are both well ahead of Canon or Nikon.
06-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have several portfolios of my work- all prints. I know which images were taken on which camera and I keep a private tally of which images draw the most attention - Thus far, Leica and Pentax are both well ahead of Canon or Nikon.
How do you explain it? The lenses? Or maybe you prefer the Leica and Pentax, so you shoot better when you use them?
06-19-2018, 03:02 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
How do you explain it? The lenses? Or maybe you prefer the Leica and Pentax, so you shoot better when you use them?
pixie dust!
06-19-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I don't shoot with Leica, Canon or Nikon, but I do shoot m43 (Olympus camera + Olympus and Panasonic lenses) in addition to Pentax. In the last six years or so, I've sold over 100 images online. All but seven were shot with Pentax, and of these Pentax images, all but two were shot with Pentax lenses. The non-Pentax images just don't sell that well. Is it because I shoot better with Pentax? Well, maybe. But I've actually won more awards with images shot on m43. So it's not that simple. In my experience, Pentax seems to have an edge in image processing, color, and the life-like rendering of their lenses. They're just more in tune with real perceptual image quality --- i.e., what you actually see with your eyes, rather than what can be measured in a lab --- than some of their competition.
06-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Pentax is a step a leap on "memory-like" rendering
06-19-2018, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Two days ago a co-worker asked me my opinion on what they should buy for a DSLR and lenses with a budget of $1000. They were going to use it for family events, vacations and whatever. I told him if it were me I would purchase a used K-3 II and a Sigma 18-300 and you can grow from there if you so desire. He seemed ok with that but I also felt I needed to tell him the pro's and con's. So I told him that value wise you were not going to even come close to Pentax. I told him that you could spend over $2000 for a Nikon or a Canon and not compare to the features that you could get in a Pentax for less than half the cost. I also explained built-in image stabilization and Astro-Tracer. But I also explained that Pentax did not have the third party support and that it's autofocus was not quite as good as Nikon or Canon. I also provided him the links to this forum and the Nikon and Canon forums along with the link to cameradecision.com and suggested that he do some homework to make certain that he was making the right choice.

Here's the kicker. I told him when he was going to compare models that He should compare the K-3 / K-3 II to the Canon 80D and Nikon D7200 as they are IMO the most comparable across the brands. As soon as I mentioned the D7200 the discussion was over. He said someone else recommended it and that was what he was going to purchase. I told him do your own research and I was a bit shocked when he told me he didn't have time for research and was going to buy the Nikon D7200 with 2 lenses from Amazon.

Me being the fool that I am came back and gave him a link to Adorama for the exact same kit with some extra accessories such as cleaning kit, SD card, Cheap camera case and Corel Paint Shop editing software for the exact same price as the kit he had found on Amazon. His response. I only buy from Amazon.

The moral of this story to me is that I know there are many Canon and Nikon shooters who made educated decisions based upon their shooting needs. But I believe the vast majority are just part of the herd who buy just because of the name or someone said buy this. They have absolutely no clue as to what they are doing and are not even willing to do a little research into their decision.
I've had similar things happen to me, with co-workers as well.

I'll just give them the "well, why did you ask in the first place if you knew what you were going to do" look, and move on...

Kinda like...

Edit: Oh and I just checked the dual lens D7200 package that Amazon is offering. It has the 18-55 lens, and the 70-300 f/4.5-6.3 non-VR... which no one recommends because non-VR and a slow lens is not a good combination... so once your co-worker comes in asking you why his crappy tele lens won't take any sharp pictures, you can tell him...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 06-19-2018 at 12:02 PM.
06-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Being system agnostic* myself, I prefer to teach my students to think for themselves, and make equipment choices upon their own financial circumstances and needs.

*no company has made the perfect camera, .
Especially agree with last sentence. Though I was offered Pentax in my time, at the time everything mentioned made sense (SD card, AA batteries, stabilization in body - thus cheaper lenses, WR). According to my current shooting, Pentax still makes most sense for me to own (Astrotracer, good noise work, almost no portraits - mostly travel, landscape, macro, astro). I see bonus of, e.g. Canon - it is more popular in various astro applications for tethering (maybe they finally will add Pentax there?). However, Pentax so far weights more for me with astrotracer, as I do not have equatorial mount and not planning to get it any time soon.

P.S. The one that introduced me to Pentax, he ran to Nikon later, I guess after getting the kid.

Last edited by Evie; 06-19-2018 at 01:59 PM.
06-22-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #45

Doesn’t surprise me at all. I am a rank amateur who has three cameras - each fir a unique purpose- A superprogram . An Olympus stylus zoom and a Canon WP-1 ( for obvious reasons.)

I read a lot and catch “ what’s in your bag” on JCH. I have come to the conclusion that 90% of those folks are more concerned with showing off they have the cash to own a Leica or a Contax or thier billingham bag more than . anything.