Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 03:08 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax??? Really?

I was chatting with a coworker today, and casually mentioned that I was a hobby photographer but that I had spent much of my life as a working pro. He was instantly intrigued, as he is a hobby photographer as well.
He said that he was using a Canon, and asked if I shot Canon or Nikon.
I told him neither, that I used Pentax.
And I got "the look"
You know the one, its the one where you are betting on the next line.
Will it be "Pentax? Never heard of them"
or
"Pentax? They are still making cameras"?
Imagine my surprise when he said he had never met anyone who used Pentax before, but he really wanted to talk about my gear, as he was really interested, though not, from the sounds of it, interested enough to change systems.

That's all.

06-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting, but at the end of a day it's just a tool (though a better one, I may add). It's good to see that not everyone fits into one of the two categories 'never heard of/still around'.
06-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I was chatting with a coworker today, and casually mentioned that I was a hobby photographer but that I had spent much of my life as a working pro. He was instantly intrigued, as he is a hobby photographer as well.
And I got "the look"
or
Imagine my surprise when he said he had never met anyone who used Pentax before, but he really wanted to talk about my gear, as he was really interested, though not, from the sounds of it, interested enough to change systems.

That's all.
I am a regular at another photography discussion forum, where many of the threads are Nikon vs Canon or MILC vs DSLR. On occasion I will post a news item relating to Pentax or will make a comment of the "I use Pentax so I'll just pop some corn while you argue" genre - and often I get a response of the sort "I'm fond of Pentax. I used to have a Spotmatic. I didn't know they're still made" or "I hear at the Pentax Forums that they're having all kinds of problems".
06-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

When someone gives me the 'look' regarding me using Pentax, I add that I also use Zeiss Super Ikonta B, Mamiya medium format, Leica...and yes... occasionally Petri, among other makes. Well..I did once.

06-14-2018, 05:31 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
When someone gives me the 'look' regarding me using Pentax, I add that I also use Zeiss Super Ikonta B, Mamiya medium format, Leica...and yes... occasionally Petri, among other makes. Well..I did once.
I just give them the ‘I guess you aren’t cool enough to know’ look right back.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-15-2018 at 04:51 AM.
06-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wouldn't it be so cool to have actual pictures of those people while they're "commenting" on Pentax ?
(or while receiving the return comment from the Pentax user?)

I suppose I can add a bit to this thread ... I have quite often been told that "they" couldn't believe I was using Pentax gear for birding !!

---------- Post added 06-14-18 at 09:19 PM ----------

And I got "the look"
or

That's all.
Yeah ... that look !!

Last edited by jpzk; 06-14-2018 at 07:48 PM.
06-14-2018, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is worse is when you get "the look" from the sales clerks at camera stores like Henry's Photo & Video. Then they tell you that lenses are too hard to find, or that the brand will disappear soon.

06-14-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
What is worse is when you get "the look" from the sales clerks at camera stores like Henry's Photo & Video.
That is where (in Ottawa) I received the comment regarding "Pentax birding" (see post no. 6 above)
06-14-2018, 07:42 PM - 8 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And I got "the look"
You mean this look:

06-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You mean this look:
It's gotta be that !
06-14-2018, 08:42 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
What is worse is when you get "the look" from the sales clerks at camera stores like Henry's Photo & Video. Then they tell you that lenses are too hard to find, or that the brand will disappear soon.
I got told by a toad at my local pusher’s store one time that they didn’t keep a lot of third party glass when I asked about if they had a particular Pentax lens.
I mentioned to him that seemed ironic considering the display cases of Sigma and Tamron lenses they had. He said that wasn’t third party glass. By this time the store manager, a guy I’ve known for decades was involved in the conversation. I told him his toad was too stupid to breath and chew gum at the same time.
That was the last I saw if old warty.
06-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I have "made" three Pentaxians in my cycle. After explaining them about the different possibilities and the pros and cons of each one, they decided to go with Pentax. The fact that I was shooting Pentax too of course played a major role. Depending on the needs of a friend that asks for my opinion I have also proposed to others to buy Sony and Olympus MILC and Nikon.
06-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll post this little tale here, from my FaceTube page, sometimes there are nice people behind the mask This happened to me while selling an SLR on Fleabay. It didn't sell. I'm quite pleased.

QuoteQuote:
Was at the sculpture park yesterday, along with the DSLRs took my Pentax SLR - I wanted to run a film through it before eBay so I'm sure everything is working.
Ah the joys of film cameras, it was so light to carry! Everything worked fine and my memory kicked in to make it do the (few) tricks it's capable of. It was a real joy to shoot the whole film - now I need to get it developed and see what's what.

While composing a "prizewinning" shot with the little Pentax a chap wandered past with about two grands-worth of Nikon and lens round his neck, with the usual sneer on his face when he saw my camera had the "P" word on it. Nonplussed, I squeezed the shutter button and took the shot. The camera fired, and made the little "wheee" noise it makes when winding the film on. At which point he froze in his tracks and turned to me.
"Is that a film camera?", he asked
"Aye", says I
"Can I hold it?", he enquired
"Aye", says I
So he did. And looked all bleary eyed & wistful as memories of good old film stock filled his head. After a few minutes of The Good Old Days off he toddled, the sneer gone
06-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^ I love everything about digital - but I still miss film... how come?
06-15-2018, 01:24 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had the "Nikon or Canon? .... Pentax???" discussion with someone the other day, a friend of a friend. But I had the same discussion with him the first time I met him, probably 4 years ago!