Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 05:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those blunders...

Today I grabbed my K-01 and my "macro lens" (50+TC) and went outside.
Turned camera on, it didn't budge.
Didn't have enough time to go back and take the other, so I used my cellphone, trying for the first time the RAW capture "in anger".
Then I went back and put the battery in charge... it's still charging, but I briefly took it out to test the camera... took 1-2 seconds for the standby battery/capacitor to get its charge, then it turned on... whew!

And what about you? what are your most shameful, dishonourable, shocking blunders?

06-15-2018, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
prior to using an SLR

cap on

my fingers in the photo

after SLR and DSLR

changed modes without realizing

end up with monochrome or Kelvin (? ) or " composite " or something along those lines

[ not easy for me to see the " codes " in the view finder so I usually don't even look at them ]
06-15-2018, 06:05 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Left the house with SD card still on slot on computer.

Not changing the WB settings

Turning off SR and not turning it back on.

Trying to take action shots with 2 sec delay still set.
06-15-2018, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The worst one which I still remember after 25 years was with my first SLR. I took some 25-30 exposures without realising I forgot to put film inside ( the back cover didn't have a film window, and I failed to notice that the rewind knob wasn't turning). Even after all these years I still haven't told the truth to my friend to whose wedding party I was at the time (thankfully I wasn't the wedding photographer, I was just taking some informal shots of the guests).

06-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Not changing the WB settings

Turning off SR and not turning it back on.

That's not a mistake... shooting JPEG is! see the light, you miscreant!

The 2s self-timer always gets me as well, first time thought my camera was broken...
06-15-2018, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Way back in the film days: loading a roll of film, somehow tearing out the sprocket holes, thus film not advancing, despite frame counter advancing - so final result was 36 frames all on top of each other! Nice dense negative!
06-15-2018, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Funniest one was not that I forgot I was in multi-exposure mode, but that I could not for the life of me work out what the hell was going on. I was convinced for an hour I had some mysterious fault...

06-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Funniest one was not that I forgot I was in multi-exposure mode, but that I could not for the life of me work out what the hell was going on. I was convinced for an hour I had some mysterious fault...
that is what happened with the composite mode setting for me

shot all day with it set inadvertently and camera was " screwing " up

had to turn on and off

of course, it was " operator error "
06-15-2018, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #9

I’ve also triple exposed film. Unfortunately one was my college graduation and that was the only camera used.

The 2 second delay and changing the white balance setting have gotten me too.

Probably still my biggest is not learning how to edit, I use the simple programs like photoshop fix and mix on my iPad.
06-15-2018, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using the self timer on 10 second delay to take a selfie with SWMBO,forgetting to turn it off,aiming the camera at a bird,pressing shutter.....and ......waiting........until.........the ......bird.....had...flown......for the shutter to release!
06-15-2018, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+1 to almost all the above whether film or digital ... that damn 2 second delay has been the bane of my life so I simply don't use it now.

And of course the Q has its own special booby trap with the mode switch on the front!
06-15-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

Many years ago I shot an SLR. Then life got busy and I gave it up. I started shooting again a couple of years ago with a DSLR. The thing I had the hardest time remembering with the DSLR was ISO. With the SLR I would put the roll in set the ISO and I was good to go until I changed the roll.

One night I was putting together the equipment I was going to use the next day. I decided to play around a little bit shooting my cats who were playing with each other. Well in order to catch them in my poorly lit living room I needed to crank the ISO up to 10000. Well I went out the following day and took about a 100 shots. When I got home I downloaded the photos and looked at them and they were all noise. I think I was able to only save 1 or 2 and they weren't great. Since then I have configured the camera so when I turn the power on it defaults to ISO 100.
06-15-2018, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Was taking photos at a good friend's wedding.
Unbeknownst to me, the aperture ring slipped from the "A" position causing me to think my K-S2 acquired the infamous aperture-block failure.

I shot their "I-Do's" with my f-ing cellphone.

After the Justice left, I discovered the issue and the rest of the reception/ party went off without a hitch and got excellent photos...
...but those "I-Do's" will haunt me forever.
06-15-2018, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
That is only one of the errors I have induced. Mine was due to hanging my KP around my neck with the battery grip and a 4 pound lens mounted and having it bump my chest and changing the drive mode. New rule: Always control the body and lens when moving at all!
06-15-2018, 09:09 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not the only one who has done those things. At least with the K-3 I usually have at least one of the 2 memory cards in it.

I have also forgotten to turn the camera off 2 or 12 second delay and then later wondered why dind't it work. I then usually get an overexposed picture of my face because I have the flash up and look at the front of the camera to "see" what is wrong.