Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Are Your Favorite Pentax Forums "Marketplace" Pet Peeves?

Here's a topic that's sure to generate lots of interesting comments. Consider it my contribution to the 40,000 post goal for June...

Many of us spent lots of time in the Pentax Forums' "Marketplace" checking out what's for sale, and reviewing the gear that members are looking for.

If you've spent time on these forums, I expect that like me, you've been confused/disappointed/angered by some of the postings you've seen. Here's a few of my marketplace "pet peeves" to get things started:

1. I sometimes see out-of-focus low quality photos posted in the "For Sale" section . For goodness' sake, this is a photography forum - why can't we consistently post good product photos in the for sale section?

2. Members who post that they want a particular product when there are multiple copies of that exact same item already posted for sale in the Marketplace. They either haven't taken the time to review what's for sale, or they are unwilling to pay the fair prices posted by the sellers.

3. The seller who advertises all of their products as "rare", when a quick search of Ebay reveals multiple copies of these same items for sale.

4. Members who post a gear wanted ad, but will not even bother to respond to you if you message them that you'll sell them that item at a fair price. I wish people who posted in the "Wanted" section would say what their budget/range is. That would save my wasting time responding to those wanting something for comparitively nothing.

Now it's your turn...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-15-2018 at 04:59 PM.
06-15-2018, 04:45 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
What Are Your Favorite Pentax Forums "Marketplace" Pet Peeves?
Mine is that I can't ever seem to afford what I want to get...
06-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just thought of another one.

Someone posts an item being "For Sale" and then out of the blue, another member contacts them about "Trading" their item.

I must admit that sometimes I'm guilty of doing this one.
06-15-2018, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
2. Members who post that they want a particular product when there are multiple copies of that exact same item already posted for sale in the Marketplace. They either haven't taken the time to review what's for sale, or they are unwilling to pay the fair prices posted by the sellers.
^THIS!!

Especially when they are looking for lenses which are freely available new. The "wanted" section is, IMHO, for stuff that is difficult to source, not for cheapskates looking for a sneaky bargain. It's insulting.

06-15-2018, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
^THIS!!

Especially when they are looking for lenses which are freely available new. The "wanted" section is, IMHO, for stuff that is difficult to source, not for cheapskates looking for a sneaky bargain. It's insulting.
I can somewhat agree Sandy, but if I am looking for used, I would rather get it from someone here than from fleabay. The annoyance of trying to "steal" a deal is annoying but no one ever lost anything but time trying for a good deal.

I just get annoyed by the drop ins who are short and just leave their post up even after selling it while never posting to the forums again, and then someone posts a question (that will never be answered,) and pushes your items that are for sale, that much farther down the page. That and buyers who don't give feedback and then disappear. Had at least one of those buyers here.
06-15-2018, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wanted to just give some stuff away (broken lens, lens screws, camera pieces, old film, ... might be useful to somebody), but you have to have a price on it - "free" doesn't count. We need a 'freebie" section.
06-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Mine is that I can't ever seem to afford what I want to get...
Same here! I just end up drooling over in none the less haha

06-15-2018, 06:56 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

BUYER PAYS THE PAYPAL FEE ! REALLY YOU PITH OFF 50 BUYERS FOR $2.00
06-15-2018, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

It's annoying to me when people don't follow the basic etiquette guidelines that have long been established. What's so hard about writing "PM Sent" in the thread before starting a bunch of private negotiations? I've even started sale threads where I said to do exactly that, and I wound up with 3 or 4 people all wanting the lens, nobody established a pecking order as requested and the others all got mad claiming I sold a lens 'out from under them'.

I also think if you claim an item you should be ready to pay. I've had lenses for sale where people kept on delaying and whatever, only to back out a week later. I ultimately turned away several other people out of courtesy only to have the original person not follow through. If you are going to claim it pay for it. Or at least do something within reason. I've had people ask me, "I don't get paid until Friday, can I make payment then?" Of course that is very agreeable and not an unreasonable request. In that case the person paid as promised. In other times people ended up dragging it out for two or three weeks then they got mad at ME for not selling the lens to them. If I PM you 3 or 4 times trying to find out the status of your payment and you don't respond that is not my fault and you have no right to get mad.

Another thing that happened is I had a seller try to sell a lens and asked for WAY too much money for it. I sent them links to three previous listings for the exact same lens and all of them were like $100 cheaper than the one being offered and all of them were recent. Of course the person felt 'insulted' and got mad at me 'for lowballing them'.

Overall the market place is stellar. There are however some users (usually new people) who still need to get into the spirit of the forum. Overall it's been the most honest place that I've ever bought or sold lenses on. Way back when I first started shooting I sold a lens for X price and shipped it as agreed. When the person on the other end got it they messaged me and said 'you didn't tell me this was the WR version' and without asking sent me extra money (via paypal) just so they felt like they were being honest. That doesn't happen on most places online.
06-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I have to agree here also. Just price it so you get your stupid 3% extra and deal with it! Is your item $3000.00? Put it up for$ 3100 and your fee +9.00 and change more is paid. Simple math is simple.

---------- Post added 06-15-18 at 07:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I also think if you claim an item you should be ready to pay. I've had lenses for sale where people kept on delaying and whatever, only to back out a week later.
I have never had this one but I would hate it since I like to do the deal ASAP. I always ship in less than 1 business day after getting paid and if I say I want something, I pay as soon as the invoice hits my Paypal account. Sometimes that makes my LBA harder to deal with since spur of the moment is not the way to shop for expensive items!
06-15-2018, 07:07 PM - 5 Likes   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Worse yet is the "net to me" phrasing. We are probably going to disallow that entirely, as there's no reason fees can't be rolled in to the asking price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Worse yet is the "net to me" phrasing.
Unfortunately this is pretty much the norm on other fora sales boards..
06-15-2018, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Worse yet is the "net to me" phrasing. We are probably going to disallow that entirely, as there's no reason fees can't be rolled in to the asking price.
I vote in favor of this. Just give me the bottom line. Photography is not a cheap hobby but people getting snippy over $3 is just goofy. I've given people that I know were just starting out and maybe a little low on cash a few bucks off in the negotiations just to help encourage them to shoot more.

I negotiated with one person that I would give them $20 off if they promised to post their best photos taken with their 'new' lens (the one I was selling). I don't do that all the time but I have done it I think twice to people who I felt like needed it.

Chinchy haggling...meh. Sometimes it's worth it to be easy to work with.
06-15-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I'LL SUBMIT YOUR NAME FOR AN OSCAR OR ONE OF THEM NOBEL TNT PRIZES IF YOU DOES IT Fees by the way are written into the Magna Carter & the U S Constitution so that Rich Guys can take from Poor Guys to make the Rich Guys Richer . Its their Inherent Right.
06-15-2018, 07:33 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Maybe our members have been watching too much Monty Python?