Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2018, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When the buyer asks my PP address, and then... disappears. Not ready to buy- don't ask where to send the money.

06-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I don't really have a pet peeve per say (except maybe for a few sellers that price items like they are new). The peeve is more with myself. That peeve is looking through the market place while knowing that unless somebody sets the prices to free, or so low the item might as well be free, that I can not afford anything. I would like to get some faster lenses but the one I want, I will never be able to afford it due to my circumstances. (70-200, 205, 210 F2.8 auto focus)

I know where I am at is due to a decision I made. That decision was, at the time, the best decision that could be made. In the long run, it will really come back and bite me in the butt. Hey, it was my own decision.
06-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Not here but craigslist often have 10 year old tech for almost msrp. K100d for $500. I want to send an email pointing out a camera 3 generations newer with warranty costs less.
06-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must say that I've never uses the market place but it seems to me that in a friendly community a good deal is one that both parties walk away happy from - there should be no place for sales technique or haggling for the sake of it (or just sloppiness) - I can fully understand the peeves listed

06-18-2018, 02:32 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess this isn’t a peeve because it has only happened once.

Seller who refused to ship until he had downloaded my money to his bank and could see it online. Claimed he was waiting for my payment to ‘clear.’ I completed my end of the transaction in 5 minutes. Totally unresponsive to any pleas or references to PayPal policies.

Worse yet, while he did send the item by USPS, it wasn’t Priority Mail.

The friendly Forum culture is not being transferred to newer, younger members.
06-18-2018, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
It's annoying to me when people don't follow the basic etiquette guidelines that have long been established. What's so hard about writing "PM Sent" in the thread before starting a bunch of private negotiations? I've even started sale threads where I said to do exactly that, and I wound up with 3 or 4 people all wanting the lens, nobody established a pecking order as requested and the others all got mad claiming I sold a lens 'out from under them'.
This is seriously an etiquette thing? I’ve never done this on any forum classifieds I’ve ever used because it seems like a waste of space and time. If the seller wants to sell to someone else that is their prerogative, and until I put money in the sellers hands, they are welcome to sell it to someone else.
06-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
This is seriously an etiquette thing? I’ve never done this on any forum classifieds I’ve ever used because it seems like a waste of space and time. If the seller wants to sell to someone else that is their prerogative, and until I put money in the sellers hands, they are welcome to sell it to someone else.
A few years ago there was a big hullaballoo on the forum because people got mad and posted a series of opus "woe is me" threads because of this very thing. I don't recall exactly the circumstances but something like that went on. As a result there were a series of marketplace 'guidelines' that were introduced to the forum.

Over time those things that were meant to make buying and selling and to generally keep everyone happy eventually just kind of faded I guess.

I haven't bought or sold on the market place for a while now, but like it or not we are not every other forum. Here they justifiably prevent and avoid dishonesty to the best of their ability, or furthermore avoid flame wars or people getting upset over stuff. Although the guidelines have become more and more lax over time those of us who have been around for a while still expect adherence to the spirit of the forum.

06-18-2018, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The guidelines don't say you should post when sending a PM, only that it's allowed, giving no rationale for doing so.

If this is actually part of "the spirit of the forum" I would expect something more than that to be written down. Otherwise it just seems like a habit that some people have and others don't, like including gear lists in your signature.
06-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tonezime Quote
The guidelines don't say you should post when sending a PM, only that it's allowed, giving no rationale for doing so.

If this is actually part of "the spirit of the forum" I would expect something more than that to be written down. Otherwise it just seems like a habit that some people have and others don't, like including gear lists in your signature.
I once was a few minutes later than another poster but since I was not haggling (The other poster seemed to always be haggling,) and I was willing to buy two of the 4 items he had for sale, (At amazing prices too!) I got the amazing deals being offered. As I said, when I commit, I process payments as soon as I see the invoice. That and being polite in your PM rather than brusque doesn't hurt your chances of scoring a great deal.
06-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I don't mean to question the reason for the "pm sent" posts. I only never heard of anyone caring one way or another, so it kind of surprised me. If I'm ever "thinking" about a purchase that I've already contacted the seller about, I make sure to make it clear that I don't expect the seller to hold it while I'm making up my mind. I'm a slow and deliberate buyer, and rarely score great deals by being quicker than the next guy, and also I frequently lose deals because I need to consider a purchase for several days before committing to it.
06-18-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

I don't get the "first rights" claims for those who PM first. As a buyer, I'd totally understand if someone else offers better terms and gets the item. As a seller, I will absolutely sell to those who offer the simplest transaction and aren't 'problem' buyers.

As long as a buyer responds within 24 hours, I understand. People are busy and not everyone religiously checks the various forums.

The only thing that I can think of that irritates me is when someone makes an offer and then doesn't bother to reply when you respond to their offer, irrespective of the terms.
06-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I don't mean to question the reason for the "pm sent" posts. I only never heard of anyone caring one way or another, so it kind of surprised me. If I'm ever "thinking" about a purchase that I've already contacted the seller about, I make sure to make it clear that I don't expect the seller to hold it while I'm making up my mind. I'm a slow and deliberate buyer, and rarely score great deals by being quicker than the next guy, and also I frequently lose deals because I need to consider a purchase for several days before committing to it.
It helps to establish the order of response - along with the order PM’s were received - for an in-demand item. It is also a courtesy to people who see the item after you do.

I once obtained a K28/2 here that was listed far below market price. I was first to reply and first to PM. Others behind me sent direct PM’s without posting a Reply, offering more than 100% above the listed price, trying to jump ahead of me (which IMHO also violates the Forum spirit). The seller didn’t hesitate for a moment to decline their offers, selling me the lens at the listed price because of the ‘PM Sent’ Reply. It’s just fair dealing.

FWIW, I voluntarily, without any request by the seller, sent him market price, not his I’ll-informed low listed price. He actually wanted to return the extra money. Some people just stand tall and exhibit character.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-18-2018 at 03:39 PM.
06-18-2018, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a similar experience with a seller.

I was the first of numerous responders, within 10 minutes of his post putting the lens up for sale.

since he lived within 70 miles, he agreed to allow me to take the time to meet with him and examine and try out the lens.

I was then told how long I had to decide ( it was not a cheap lens and I needed to make sure the purchase was a " joint " decision if you know what I mean.

I did get the lens

the decision to give me time was his alone, if he wanted an immediate decision, I would have understood

I considered him to be quite the honorable seller since he decided to handle the sale in the order of who responded in order
06-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I am glad this has evolved into what is respectable and what is repected. Both sides need definition.
06-18-2018, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I am glad this has evolved into what is respectable and what is repected. Both sides need definition.
:-) I really appreciate those who are just plain considerate. None of us is selling here commercially, and those who anticipate and respect the limitations of private sellers are much appreciated. I have the expectation that each seller and buyer is trying to do the right thing, though we may not always agree on the precise interpretation of that in every circumstance. A little mutual understanding goes a long way.