Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another Close Encounter in Yellowstone.

This would get the adrenaline flowing.

Wildlife Photography Turns Scary When Bison Charges at Photographer in Yellowstone | Fstoppers

06-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
F-stoppers finally spot something with a bit of socially redeeming importance. They're still way down in the negative column, but hey, you can no longer say they've never done anything useful.

That's a great story.

And there're pictures to prove it happened.

Like this one.

What you can't see is my buddy Paul tugging on my shirt saying "We need to get the F out of here."

They say you need a 600mm lens to safely shoot bears, (400 APS-c). This was shot with the 60-250 and it's barely cropped. He was a big boy too.

Last edited by normhead; 06-17-2018 at 08:17 AM.
06-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pretty scary, but at the end of the day those are some really amazing images and the photographer made it unscathed.
Just our daily reminder that wild animals are actually wild...
06-17-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the first fatal bear attack inside Denali National Park, rangers found the attack more or less documented on the victims DSLR as the bear charged him...

I’m surprised more people aren’t charged or trampled by moose in the park, as I’ve seen tourists of every stripe getting uncomfortably close to mama mooses with calves snapping away, completely unaware of how much danger they are in. I haven’t been charged yet but I’ve had a small bull lock eyes and watched his hackles go up... I was thankful to be standing next to my truck and was able to put it between him and I and the three tourists who had walked down from their own car 100yds down the road.

06-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

And the comments are beyond inane. I have never looked at this site but , meh, just meh.
06-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't know fstoppers from Adam. My brother texted me about the story and this was the first one that popped up when I searched for it. Didn't bother to read comments so I have no comment about that. I found the story interesting. Did not concern myself with the peripherals.

Last edited by DW58; 06-17-2018 at 09:26 AM.
06-17-2018, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Another Close Encounter in Yellowstone.
A definite requirement for longer and longer still lenses.

06-17-2018, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

in my limited experience in trying to photograph wildlife I try to remember

1 mothers with young are the most dangerous. it doesn't matter what type of animal

2 animals don't want to attack, they want to get away but they do like their space and if you don't give it to them, they will react

3 you must always be alert and look around, not get " swallowed " by the camera

4 plan in advance on what you will do if something happens, not when it happens

5 how will you get to a safe space if you have to move but never ever run

I recently was way too close to a black bear sow with cub but did not feel threatened. the bears were relaxed, they had clear escape routes away from us ( I was part of a large group, several of us who announced we had bear spray ) and I kept saying if the bears approach, do not move do not run, it will see us as a big animal and not come after us

( and I was hoping that I would be correct )
06-17-2018, 01:48 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
... I kept saying if the bears approach, do not move do not run, it will see us as a big animal and not come after us

( and I was hoping that I would be correct )
This is a sound strategy, as it will cause your group to hesitate so you can get a head start when you run in the other direction, keeping your group between you and the bear. Be sure to keep a close eye on those in your group with bear spray as another technique is to use it on your friends (pepper spray adds a nice flavour for the bear) and then run away.

More seriously, it's important to always respect wildlife's ability to mess you up, even the docile looking ones. Buffalo and moose look hilarious and mostly stand around, but they could roll you with zero difficulty.
06-17-2018, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What most people don't realize is that animals sometimes look at that lens as a great big eye staring at them. Either stalking or challenging them. Some years ago I was n Yellowstone toting a Tamron 300mm f2.8 lens around a herd of bison. Even though they were about 100 yards away there was a male who did not like it whenever I pointed the lens in his direction. Every time I did he would grunt and take a step forward. I decided that it was not worth the shot. I was out in the open and way too far from cover.
06-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
What most people don't realize is that animals sometimes look at that lens as a great big eye staring at them. Either stalking or challenging them. Some years ago I was n Yellowstone toting a Tamron 300mm f2.8 lens around a herd of bison. Even though they were about 100 yards away there was a male who did not like it whenever I pointed the lens in his direction. Every time I did he would grunt and take a step forward. I decided that it was not worth the shot. I was out in the open and way too far from cover.
better safe than sorry

good decision

if the animal is looking at you, tracking you, head up, tail up

it might be time to get the heck out of Dodge

slowly and carefully
06-17-2018, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #12
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
if the animal is looking at you, tracking you, head up, tail up

Yes. I've experienced that. But I heard it first. A dingo/wild dog hybrid coming in behind me, at 30 metres. If it hadn't snarled I would have been in real trouble. I reached for the .308 rather than the camera. It weighed 18.7 kg (41 pounds) so it was big enough to cause me some problems. (I took pics but they were after the event.)

And, yes, I suspect that in other circumstances the lens is a "big eye". Or even a "small eye". Apart from the eagle that trashed one of my trail cams by putting a talon through the transparent lens cover, feral pigs (occasionally) and red deer (often) "eyeball" my trail cams.
06-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Yes. I've experienced that. But I heard it first. A dingo/wild dog hybrid coming in behind me, at 30 metres. If it hadn't snarled I would have been in real trouble. I reached for the .308 rather than the camera. It weighed 18.7 kg (41 pounds) so it was big enough to cause me some problems. (I took pics but they were after the event.)
... and that is why I don't live in Australia.

Even though we have some pretty big animals here, it is quite rare for them to be super agressive and want to eat you.
06-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
F-stoppers finally spot something with a bit of socially redeeming importance. They're still way down in the negative column, but hey, you can no longer say they've never done anything useful.

That's a great story.

And there're pictures to prove it happened.

Like this one.

What you can't see is my buddy Paul tugging on my shirt saying "We need to get the F out of here."

They say you need a 600mm lens to safely shoot bears, (400 APS-c). This was shot with the 60-250 and it's barely cropped. He was a big boy too.

Ah Ha....? and shot @ 60mm Norm ?....you were telling Paul you were moving away so as you could fit him in the frame ?? Great story. Great shot.
06-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Yellowstone this may I got bored trying to locate the wolf den about a mile or so away

started to watch the 2 big male bison in front of us.

they approached, one went right, the other to the left and then it changed direction, circled behind and walked behind us about 25 feet away

continued to watch as it went completely around us to confront the other male

this shows what the big guy did about 50 feet from us

" if the creek don't rise " photos from Yellowstone National Park - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

I was the only one in the group keeping an eye on them

who knows what could have happen

keep your eye on a swivel when around wildlife of any kind