Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Australian Bird Photographer of the Year competition now open for entries

BirdLife Australia BIRD PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR 2018

This prestigious competition is run by Birdlife Australia, Australia's leading birding organization. Entries close at 2 am on Monday 6 August 2018. The competition is open to people from around the world, but images must show Australian bird species, and must have been taken in Australia or its external territories.

06-20-2018, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Des - I am going to enter this for sure. It would be good to see some Pentaxian entries in general.
06-20-2018, 04:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

thank you.
06-20-2018, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not in Australia but it looks like an exciting competition, thanks for advising pf members. Please keep us posted as entries roll in.

06-20-2018, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Thanks Des - I am going to enter this for sure. It would be good to see some Pentaxian entries in general.
+1. Now all we need is to get a photo of Night Parrots mating.
06-20-2018, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

I hope you are not calling my wife names DOH
06-21-2018, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

What are peoples thoughts on the eligibility of the following photo - human - bird interactions

06-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What are peoples thoughts on the eligibility of the following photo - human - bird interactions
See the rules here: Rules ? Australian BIRD PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR 2018

Rule 11:
"11. The categories for entries are:
  • Bird Portrait. The bird or birds should be the main visual element in the image. There is no strict definition and judges will make decisions about whether they consider an image to be a portrait when determining shortlisting and award of prizes.
  • Special Theme. Black-Cockatoos. Images must contain one or more of the following species of cockatoo: Palm Cockatoo, Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo, Glossy Black-Cockatoo, Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo, Carnaby’s Black-Cockatoo, Baudin’s Black-Cockatoo.
  • Bird Behaviour. Must depict a bird or birds engaging in natural behaviours which excludes direct interaction with humans or objects of human creation.
  • Birds in the Landscape. Depicts a bird or birds in their habitat. The image can showcase the beauty of a place but the bird or birds must be a recognisable part of the image.
  • Human Impact. Must depict the interrelationship between humans and birds, the negative or positive impact that humans have on birds including the activities being undertaken around Australia to study, conserve and rehabilitate bird species. Images may include captive birds. This should be stated if not clear from the image.
  • Creative/Fine Art. Photographs that may or may not be literal, documentary representation of individual birds or groups of birds but rather are designed to creatively and artistically interpret birds and their behaviours. Image manipulation is encouraged. This category may also include monochrome images of birds.
  • Youth. Open to photographers aged less than 18 years. Any entry that would fit with the categories outlined above are acceptable but will be combined and judged as a single category."
I think your image would fit in the "Human Impact" category. (Very nice image BTW Mark.)
06-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think I'll bother, I'm already outclassed by the shots they used for their links.
06-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I don't think I'll bother, I'm already outclassed by the shots they used for their links.
I know the feeling Craig! I don't think I've ever got a photo that would measure up to this standard. But I've seen photos on this site that would - some of Ken Goh's, for example. (He just needs to pop down from Singapore to Darwin!)
06-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, my Pardalote made sixth in the March 'Birds', but it was a distant sixth.

I think it was the top ranking Aussie entry but I might be wrong. Even then there were some other Aussie entries that I think deserved more.

I do have one or two others that I like better but even so I expect a very high standard in this comp.

Maybe if I shot in Raw and was more artistic in post.... but that wouldn't be me. I'm more bumbling amateur than dedicated amateur.
06-23-2018, 12:28 AM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you get Birdlife magazine, have a look at the photos that make their cover, or their featured photo. They invariably have something special. Most of the shots depict some kind of action. Otherwise, there is something unique about the light, or about what is happening. They also have to be technically excellent, if not perfect. That's a really hard get.
06-23-2018, 12:55 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In other words, I need an owl hatching with mum throwing bits of shell over the side, a lightning strike in the background and four Apostle birds looking on.
06-23-2018, 05:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
In other words, I need an owl hatching with mum throwing bits of shell over the side, a lightning strike in the background and four Apostle birds looking on.
just one addition to that picture - mum owl is simultaneously plucking a blackbird to feed to bub
06-23-2018, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just one addition to that picture - mum owl is simultaneously plucking a blackbird to feed to bub
I still think the Night Parrots mating would seal it. Thought for 100 years to be extinct until rediscovery in the remotest location. Maybe with a full moon behind.