Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
RIP Koko. The first famous non-human selfie.

Its sad but i guess 43 is old for a gorilla. Koko the beloved, koko the famous died in her sleep.
Long before the current controversy about who owns a selfie taken by a simian there was koko with her Olympus, (we forgive her). Google Image Result for https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/160728-koko-gorilla-doc-embed3.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&strip=all

06-21-2018, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is another link focusing on her contributions:

Koko the gorilla has died. Here's how she changed humanity for the better.

Her age at death was 46.
06-21-2018, 11:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thats a great link.
06-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Incredible story, Jbinpg ... thanks for posting!

06-21-2018, 11:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was a biology student in the late 1970s and generally interested in all those animal language experiments (though don't recall them coming directly into my course), and it seems so long ago that it never occurred to me that she might have still been alive - so in one sense wow! she did well!, in another the sort of passing of a minor era.
06-21-2018, 11:43 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I was a biology student in the late 1970s and generally interested in all those animal language experiments (though don't recall them coming directly into my course), and it seems so long ago that it never occurred to me that she might have still been alive - so in one sense wow! she did well!, in another the sort of passing of a minor era.
Did you ever watch Not The Nine O'clock News, FFking?

Koko/Patterson clearly inspired this Rowan Atkinson sketch ...

06-22-2018, 01:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Did you ever watch Not The Nine O'clock News, FFking?

Koko/Patterson clearly inspired this Rowan Atkinson sketch ..
I did watch it - I'd totally forgotten that sketch, but it all comes back now - thanks for posting

06-22-2018, 01:39 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Koko had a better camera hold than half the photographers I see out and about these days
06-22-2018, 04:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember when results of experiments teaching Koko sign language were first published, as I did mention them briefly in an animal behavior course I taught. Even then, at the outset, there were not merely skeptics, but debunkers, and even after Koko learned about 1,000 signs, and demonstrated ability to link two or more in ways that had not been taught, to communicate something that made sense in the context, there are still debunkers who say Koko was merely mimicking what was seen, with no understanding whatever. There will always be people who will draw a sharp line between "man and the animals," allowing nothing human to filter down, nor anything discovered below the line creep into interpreting human behavior.