Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
However, is this whole sharpness thing overrated?
Agreed...the photo below is soft overall, but I like it and so do the people I have shown it to and because of that, I am quite satisfied.

Steve

(Jupiter-9 at f/2.8...what can I say )

06-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonksj Quote
Woodworkers have a term for extreme sharpness - scary sharp
As in "fingers on the floor" sharp?

Steve
06-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Isn't using a DSLR with MLU basically turning it into a mirrorless camera?
The text in the originally linked forum post basically says just that.

Steve
06-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
From your profile pic I didn't think beard trimming was a concern
Oh...there is quite a bit of maintenance involved with such a beard. The gardening analogy is topiary.

Steve

06-23-2018, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Image #1: Tack-sharpness plus bokeh on a budget (okay, lens-wise) - full-res image here: Twister - Marc

Image #2: Tack-sharp with less-than-latest-generation body (but shot from a tripod, w/ Mirror Lock-up, and a serious lens) - full-res image here: Country life - Marc

I trust both would yield satisfying large prints. Now, if they were even sharper than they already are, would I be proportionally happier? And what would I have to invest to get there? A case of diminishing returns, I guess.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have to day that, as a woodworker, I like my tools scary sharp. This simply provides better control and yields better results (and if you cut yourself the wound is cleaner and heals quicker). The analogy with sharp scissors or chisels doesn't really worm. For photography as well as woodworking there is an important role for a lack of sharpness. Some corners in the things I make have to be at an exact angle and need to be sharp. However, I may not want all of the corners of furniture I make to be 'tack sharp'. So for me the whole sharpness thing is fairly nonsensical in the abstract. Sharpness has its function in images, just as the lack of it. For the afficionados, we could coin the term 'pixel splitting sharp'.
06-23-2018, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Madaboutpix

Nice dog.

06-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
Nice dog.

Yeah, he is. Name's Twister. Love him more than I probably should. Alsatian-Podenco mix. Was found with his puppy siblings abandoned in a cardboard box somewhere in Spain. Got him from a shelter in my home region.

Little photo-shy. The poor thing at first used to be too shy to cross a bridge in fact, but when I persevere enough, I manage to get the occasional shot. Full-res here: https://needacreate.smugmug.com/Twister/i-dxC9Bk6
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 06-23-2018 at 02:26 PM.
06-23-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Yeah, he is. Name's Twister. Love him more than I probably should. Alsatian-Podenco mix. Was found with his puppy siblings abandoned in a cardboard box somewhere in Spain. Got him from a shelter in my home region.

Little photo-shy. The poor thing at first used to be too shy to cross a bridge in fact, but when I persevere enough, I manage to get the occasional shot.
You never know why they are shy about something in particular...
The dog a friend of mine had was scared senseless of trucks... turns out that before being found and brought to the kennel (where said friend adopted her), she was abandoned by the roadside on a motorway...