Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
OK, for the sake of equality across all economic/social strata, I also don't care what the Tesla driving, Nordstrom shopper is buying,
I'm not going Sony. Been there, done that, stung many times by that brand. Never again. Sony is truly the only brand I will not buy
no matter how sweet the product. I'll hand Mr/Mrs Tesla a hankie when Sony decides to abandon a platform that he/she has grown
fond of, or fails to support in the clutch, but I won't walk that path again myself, no matter how many websites tell me how awesome
Sony is.
Thanks, now I understand some solid reasons you wouldn’t buy Sony. I wouldn’t trust them for long term support either.

“Which car you drive” is awkward for me. It can invoke prejudice, so I regret using it in my response. I’ve seen numerous examples of wealthy people driving humble cars, humble people driving expensive cars, obnoxious people driving all kinds of cars, and even independent-thinking people with class driving Camrys and shooting Sony!

But I think the customer base is relevant in this discussion. What I’m seeing is many Canon shooters, including professionals, happily using aging Canon gear. When they finally decide to upgrade they consider other types of gear. In the past I think they simply looked at new Canon lenses and bodies; now some are questioning their entire investment.

06-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I was in Corse and Nice for the last 2 weeks,here what I saw For all cameras, phone camera were #1 by at least 60 % then compact, follow by tablet and finally DSLR(including mirrorless).For DSLR that I see , 80 % were Canon, then Nikon then Sony. I have not seen any Pentax.
06-25-2018, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Sony have let me down numerous times across a range of products; audio, computing, gaming, music, etc. They've
dropped the ball on everything from poor product support to failed product support to abandoned technology and even
tyrannical policies. Most of this was well before Sony bought Minolta and got into the camera biz, but those prior
experiences all still resonate. Again, why bother with Sony when their are so many other good manufactures of audio,
video, computers and indeed,cameras?
It's exactly what I think. Sony used to release great TV sets 20 or more years ago, nowadays many relatives report failures just after the one year warranty expires.
What will happen when they begin to fail in the photo department?... To me, Sony has no "soul" for photography. Lacks that 'something' that Pentax, Olympus or Fuji have.

I love my Pentax K-3II. I'm working in studio doing advertising photography and this past week I ordered a Tamron 90mm and second hand Pentax 50-135mm that is in "Demo" condition as per Adorama experts. So it's like new. I hope everything goes OK with this lens.
06-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
It's exactly what I think. Sony used to release great TV sets 20 or more years ago, nowadays many relatives report failures just after the one year warranty expires.
What will happen when they begin to fail in the photo department?... To me, Sony has no "soul" for photography. Lacks that 'something' that Pentax, Olympus or Fuji have.

I love my Pentax K-3II. I'm working in studio doing advertising photography and this past week I ordered a Tamron 90mm and second hand Pentax 50-135mm that is in "Demo" condition as per Adorama experts. So it's like new. I hope everything goes OK with this lens.
Anecdotal evidence is not all that convincing to me. The most recent data on digital cameras I can find is from a Squaretrade report published in 2010. It reports that Canon was the least reliable, in the $300-500 range (7% w/in 2 yrs), and Pentax was at 8.2% for the sub $300 cameras. I’d love to see newer data, if someone has it.

I suspect Sony will be about on par with any other camera or electronics company regarding warranties. They’ll take care of you within, but outside of warranty you’re on your own. Of all the electronics I’ve owned in the past 20 years, I’ve only had one fail within the warranty period (an LG plasma) which was replaced. Anything else that has failed outside of warranty has met with about the same response—standard cost to fix as determined by the manufacturer or through a local repair shop. Most of the time I just pony up and buy something new.