Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Would you buy a Sony NEX?

Hi
I am on the horns of a small dilemma. I have my K3 for serious stuff, I am using my K30 with my vintage glass, I also have an Olympus stylus 1s for days when I can't be bothered with anything larger. Well, I keep looking at the Sony NEX with a view to using it between the K30 and Olympus (interchangeable lens for can't be bothered/street shooting days). In your experience, is there any benefit from grabbing a cheap NEX or is this just pointless retail therapy?

06-27-2018, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

So if you get a Sony, you will have a K3, K30, Olympus and a Sony?

IMHO,
I will keep K3 for serious stuff
I would sale K30 & Olympus (if I can)
Skip the Sony
Then get a good phone for the “can't be bothered/street shooting days” ……….or a 360 camera….. or a drone.
06-27-2018, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have a K1. I want to get a medium format camera for the days when I can't be bothered with anything that small.

*I also have an all terrain camera on order for the days when I can't be bothered being on dry land.

But seriously, when is a K3 or K1 really too big?

BTW: I haven't ever heard of Sony. Do they make cameras?
06-27-2018, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
get a secondhand K-01

06-27-2018, 01:32 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The later NEX models offer quite nice image quality, and - like any other MILC - they're good for adapted lenses. But in all honesty I think you're trying to fill a gap that doesn't really exist in your line-up, and if you want to use native mount lenses for a NEX then you've a whole additional system to buy for. I maintain two systems - Pentax and Sony A-mount - and I wouldn't recommend that approach to anyone. Far better to have just one system if you can get away with it (and most people can).

I'd stick with what you've got, and put the money towards any nice lenses you might fancy
06-27-2018, 01:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
One advantage of a NEX camera is that you could also use it for your vintage lenses with a focal reducer to use the full image circle of the lenses.
A budget solution for something similar of an FF camera. With EVF it is also easier to manual focus lenses than if using APS-C OVF.

So it could be a good replacement of your K30.
06-27-2018, 02:55 AM - 2 Likes   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

ditch the K-30 and the Olympus, buy another K-3 or K-3II as your second body/manual camera - get serious all the time....

seriously, when I switched the K-50 for another K-3, my shooting routine leveled out and I'm having a much better time with my photography hobby...

06-27-2018, 04:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a Sony NEX for its video capabilities. It certainly is better than Pentax for that purpose but I found the user interface far from intuitive so it became a video only device.
I did occasionally use it with a NEX to Pentax adapter but it was not a success for me. By contrast I find the Panasonic P'n'S cameras we have easy to use.
06-27-2018, 05:10 AM   #9

I'll throw in some useful datums (me, NEX-5N owner /sufferer):
-Menues correspond to the Sony trend. Nothing is where it should. Pretty much like any version of android versus Holy Symbian S60.
-(Context: I have tried most of the APS-C line by Nikon except the D500, a 5D2, a couple of now irrelevant film cameras and a Pentax K-r. The only ones I actually liked were the Nikon D90 for handling and the 5D2+24~105L [i think] for heft.) The ergonomics are a disgrace worth being dropped in the worst level of every hell. Heft too. Touchscreen sometimes comes in handy, though. On an additional note, there are 'dumb' vertical grips that store an additional battery, but they are pretty much MZ-S rare, as they always were third party.

-only the 7 models get a viewfinder. For the select others, you have to buy an accesory port-mounted viewfinder.
-the flash (also ap-mounted in some models) will SOMETIMES produce a shadow, as it lacks height. Otherwise, it's pretty good. Also, the accesory port replaces the hot-shoe. So no hot-shoe.

-no Pentax-like goodies related to IBIS. Excepr a pretty useless sensor cleaning feature.

-some (if not all, really, don't really know) models are of noisy shutter operation.

-do check if you like Sony colors. I don't.

-AWB is mixed. Good in natural light, fooled in artificial light.

-AF is good. Tracking is decent, it tends to get Parkinson. (Take these comments with caution, I don't tend to use AF.)

-body material quality is pretty good. Dense plastics and good-while-light metal.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 05:19 AM ----------

I forgot:
Video quality depends a lot of how you configure the JPEG processing settings, so you gotta be careful. If you nail colors, it'll be nice. Same goes for contrast and sharpening. But sound... sound is excellent for a built-in mic! Even with its compressed format, it has excellent depth, definition and maximum volume capability. Video/audio quality alone might be what makes me keep it when I upgrade (and not smash it against a wall, like I plan to do with my phone).
06-27-2018, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Hi
I am on the horns of a small dilemma. I have my K3 for serious stuff, I am using my K30 with my vintage glass, I also have an Olympus stylus 1s for days when I can't be bothered with anything larger. Well, I keep looking at the Sony NEX with a view to using it between the K30 and Olympus (interchangeable lens for can't be bothered/street shooting days). In your experience, is there any benefit from grabbing a cheap NEX or is this just pointless retail therapy?
Friends don't let friends buy Sony.
06-27-2018, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Check out a small, used Olympus M10, even the first gen version, or something similar. Add a small lens to the front and go hit the streets. The camera is small so it won't attract attention. You can flip the screen up and hold the camera at waist level so you won't attract attention. I think you will find it to be a very nice compliment to your it "big" Pentax bodies.

It's not that expensive to get into the u4/3 ecosystem. Scour eBay and KEH.
06-27-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Why not upgrade your Olympus to a Panasonic LX10 or one of the Sony RX100 models for a much higher quality fixed lens pocket camera? That Stylus isn't really pocketable.
06-27-2018, 08:24 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that the later NEX cameras (like the NEX 6) are nice little cameras but using adapted lenses is not as satisfying as sometime portrayed. Stay with Pentax.
06-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

IMO the best camera for "street shooting" (which can mean different things to different people) is the Ricoh GR. Compact body yet fits an APS-C size sensor. 18mm (28mm "equivalent") f2.8 lens that is sharp with good contrast. User interface is great, with front and rear control dials plus customizable buttons. The Snap Focus feature works very well for pre-focused shooting from the hip.

Alternatively, forget Sony, forget the GR, stop using the Olympus (not sure if that has much resale value), and use a minimal micro 43 system to pair with your larger Pentax. The Panasonic GX-85 with 2 lens kit is $600. The 12-32 is a superb kit lens, quite sharp and handles flare reasonably well. The 45-150 isn't as good but probably still better quality than what you get from the Stylus 1s. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds DMC-GX85WK
06-27-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, I think I am detecting a theme here ... I have filed the nex under "stupid ideas, not to be considered again, ever!". Re the Olympus, it is very good, it has all the modes and shoots raw but I agree, it isn't really a pocket camera. I used it today and it is fun, like a more subtle bridge camera really. The K30 is nice and light but I do rather like pepperberry's idea so, in keeping with the pocket camera idea, I may just get another K3 and some voluminous trousers!