Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2018, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worst equipment that gave you a good image?

Sometimes you've just got to use what you have.

My favorite picture of the Gateway Arch was taken on an overcast day, with a disposable camera. And to digitize it, I scanned the print. Image here: ("The Arch - Redone" by timw4mail - Caedes Desktop Wallpaper)

What's your favorite image you've gotten in the least ideal conditions?

07-02-2018, 01:33 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shot this panorama with a fine camera, the K-3 and a lesser lens, the Sears 135/2.8 with macro mode. It's a hand held panorama and it has sold reasonably well as a print. Not bad for a $40 lens!
Not a great lens but under the right conditions and with extra pano resolution it did ok. I don't have that many images I like from this lens.
07-02-2018, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't remember anything about the camera other than it was a cheap, borrowed, 35mm point-and-shoot. Carrying it in my pocket I fogged the lens without noticing (because the little optical finder stayed clear). A fun serendipitous result.
07-02-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Singlex TLS was competent, but the Rexatar 50/1.8 was not very good.

Deck of the Evergreen State

Steve

07-02-2018, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I've had my share of cheap gear, but not necessarily bad gear. For years, my main camera was a Pentax K2 film camera that I paid $20 for because its meter was stuck on ASA 50. My primary film was Velvia 50 so it really wasn't a problem. But that doesn't really qualify as bad gear, I don't think. The closest I have is this image that I shot with a Tele-Astranar 400mm f6.3 pre-set lens. It was billed at the time as the "girl-watcher special" and it cost about $40 brand new. Preset, t-mount (Tele-Astranar, Impakt, Photax...) 400mm F6.3 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database The image isn't as sharp as I'd like it to be, but that was my fault...not the lens'. Hmm...now that I think about it, I may have been using that cheap K2 on this shot, too. lol

07-02-2018, 02:42 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Taken with an iPad flying home from Boston.
07-02-2018, 02:57 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a (quite old) HP C618; which is the same as the Pentax EL200. It's definitely terrible by modern standards. My favorite photo from this camera is below. Long exposure, so a bit of motion blur, but I've always liked it.

07-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I've had my share of cheap gear, but not necessarily bad gear. For years, my main camera was a Pentax K2 film camera that I paid $20 for because its meter was stuck on ASA 50. My primary film was Velvia 50 so it really wasn't a problem. But that doesn't really qualify as bad gear, I don't think. The closest I have is this image that I shot with a Tele-Astranar 400mm f6.3 pre-set lens. It was billed at the time as the "girl-watcher special" and it cost about $40 brand new. Preset, t-mount (Tele-Astranar, Impakt, Photax...) 400mm F6.3 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database The image isn't as sharp as I'd like it to be, but that was my fault...not the lens'. Hmm...now that I think about it, I may have been using that cheap K2 on this shot, too. lol
Are you sure there is a girl in the photo?

Steve
07-05-2018, 12:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine would be the first camera I ever used, a Kodak Baby Brownie.

Of course, my idea of what constitutes a 'good image' has changed a lot since then.
07-05-2018, 12:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It was billed at the time as the "girl-watcher special"
Ha! How times change - just imagine the outcry now
07-05-2018, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Unregistered User

That would have to be a Sirio Firenze Elettra I. With a 50mm f8 (!) lens, four shutter speeds +T. This was quite possibly the crudest all-metal 35mmm camera ever made. I made a lithograph of this image and it was accepted into a state fair art exhibit:

07-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Used to take demo pinhole camera images a couple times a year for my classes. In fact, our first project was a pinhole camera. I saw some great image taken with them. Despite serious diffraction, incredibly soft etc. there were always some interesting ones in every class. Or to be more tot he point, despite recent attempts to claim their isa relationship between image quality and resolution, there were pinhole images better than with more visual impact than many people digital camera images.

Sadly, I left those images behind when I retired. Show a bunch of kids how to make pinhole cameras and turn them loose and you get some good stuff.
07-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

A photo of mine taken with a Fuji finepix A200 was used for a book cover a couple of years ago... That's one terrible 2mpix camera!
07-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first camera was an Imperial 126 Instamatic clone.
It gave me my first - and some of my most memorable - 4" x 6" prints.
Or were they only 3" x 5" back then?

Chris
07-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My old Nikon Coolpix P6000 has taken some pretty nice photos. Ok, it’s not ‘junk’ but it’s not outstanding either, just a little point and shoot. Probably my favorite is this shot of Unaweep Canyon in western Colorado: