Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
People don't "switch to Pentax", they start with Pentax and remain there (if they're wise!)

Some do because they already have some lenses in their house (they are the "Chosen Ones"), some because they gather as much information as possible, and find that Pentax has a very good price/value proposition.

07-04-2018, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you look at the Welcome and Introductions threads you find people switching to Pentax from other brands.

Prominent posters off the top of my head include Fenwoodian (Nikon), Reh321 (Canon) and Awscreo (m43).

07-04-2018, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I switched to Pentax after starting with Canon and then exploring m4/3. The GR was my gateway camera, actually, but I've stayed for the ergonomics, features, and backward compatibility.

Also I'm a sucker for the underdog.
07-04-2018, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
People don't "switch to Pentax", they start with Pentax and remain there (if they're wise!)

Some do because they already have some lenses in their house (they are the "Chosen Ones"), some because they gather as much information as possible, and find that Pentax has a very good price/value proposition.
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you look at the Welcome and Introductions threads you find people switching to Pentax from other brands.

Prominent posters off the top of my head include Fenwoodian (Nikon), Reh321 (Canon) and Awscreo (m43).
You have to sort of count me in that camp but the switch was made so long ago! I moved from being an unapologetic Nikon fan with an F2 to a Pentax convert with a PZ-1. My Dad worked for both Canon and Pentax and his best friend worked for Nikon. Since the Canon job had ended due to differences of opinion with upper management that avenue was closed to me always (LOL). But his last stretch as a salesman for a camera company was Pentax and his best friend who worked for Nikon eventually worked there too and converted as well. The gear was just that good. Ironically I converted just after he moved to another job - and shot Nikon while he had an LX. But that experience taught me that gear is just gear - a lot of it is good, and you don't have to be loyal to a single brand. I have enough invested in Pentax that the thought of switching is nearly inconceivable but I will never say never.

07-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did read a lot before buying my first dslr and didn't find anything that could beat the value of the Pentax entry level camera back in 2014.

I started studying in 2015 and at the beginning I felt I needed more features of advanced cameras, but then I really thought bleh! whatever! and just started spending the money on prime lenses, haha!

I'm happy with it, and yes, gear is just gear; anyone can make a photograph out of a can of tuna + film.
07-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I shot Olympus in the film days. However, when it came time to select a DSLR system I was not impressed by 4/3. So I spent over 2 years researching the various brands (I am nothing if not methodical)! Several times I nearly jumped to Nikon or Sony, but ultimately with the release of the K5 it was Pentax that was ticking all the boxes: IBIS, WR, price, good quality starter kit lenses (DA 18-55 and 55-300), ruggedness, great low-light capability.

Times have moved on. Would I make the same choice now? Maybe, maybe not. Am I thinking of moving away from Pentax, given all my investment in great K-mount glass (see below)? Absolutely not!

What would it take to make me swap in future? The death of the DSLR? Pentax leaving the market? Or something seismically game-changing in another system? Maybe. But as I said, no plans at present.
07-05-2018, 05:10 AM   #22

So, which brand...?

So which brand would you guys want me to buy into so I can come back and say, "This is why I switched (back) to Pentax"?

I'm sure Michael Zhang is waiting...

07-05-2018, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tapenx Worth 2 Quote
So which brand would you guys want me to buy into so I can come back and say, "This is why I switched (back) to Pentax"?

I'm sure Michael Zhang is waiting...
Topcon. Lol.
07-05-2018, 05:17 AM   #24

Btw, I found two "switched from Canon to Pentax" threads, one on this forum and a much older one elsewhere.
07-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote
8 of 10 are "omg, i think i should leave Pentax and back to Nikon, Canon"
We leave any of them, just shoot multiple systems, using each for what they do best.
07-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

My first DSLR was a Canon Rebel T3 (= bottom-of-the-line) gifted to me for Christmas one year by my brother and discovered in my basement months later. I switched from Canon to Pentax in 2013 because of the unbeatable value for money in the price range I could justify. (Mirrorless systems were still too expensive in 2013 for what you got. In 2014 or 2015 I might not have made the same decision.)

Three years later, I switched back, because my K-30's aperture block failed... to Canon, because my brother sold me his used 5D for cheap and I wanted to use the 40mm pancake I still had from a going-out-of-business sale in the Rebel T3 days again, but I bought a Pentax strap to put on it and electrical-taped over the Canon logo like the press photographers at conventions always seem to do -- not because I'm pretending to be a professional, but because I'm not proud of being back on Canon.

While I miss the lenses, the ergonomics, and the mere ability to turn on the camera in the New Jersey winter, the bigger viewfinder is nice for focusing, and using Contax Zeiss lenses is easier. Oddly, I haven't really been too frustrated with giving up autofocus -- perhaps partially because nobody bothers asking me to take their picture anymore (and for self-portraits I can still use the pancake or the Tamron 28-75/2.8).

If I ever get another Pentax, it probably won't be until the KP is on closeout and I know I'm going on a trip where I'll need the weather-sealing (like yet another trip to Walt Disney World, where you can count on a 15-minute downpour every afternoon), or perhaps if the K-1 drops to three figures used and I suddenly find myself single.

Last edited by Scintilla; 07-05-2018 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Most people probably won't know which Tamron lens the A09 is
07-05-2018, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was a lander rather than a mover. I had a bridge and wanted a DSLR. Price was a big factor, the K30 kit cost me £175. I also did my research as far as value for money and capability and it soon became an easy decision. I have since invested heavily in m42 and k mount so can't afford to change and frankly have no desire to I know canikon do some things better but mostly they are things I don't want and moving from my K3 to a plastic canikon would FEEL like a downgrade. I think, if I were to move it would be to an Olympus micro 4/3 but I can't see that happening this side of the pearly gates. So, I am here for good and here is a pretty damn good place to be
07-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try Casio!
07-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Try Casio!
I still have a tiny Casio P&S somewhere that was our family's first digital camera.
07-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a couple of them and thought they were wonderful. I do not think they are imported to the US anymore.