Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 04:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

"why i switch to pentax" = no?

relax thread, relax question
my normal surfing internet routine everyday

google, youtube, my both 2 favourite place all the time, reading photography review for drooling over the table, nonsense thinking about gear

so...i have seen alots of personal blog post, video confessing about switching brand..

its typical like
"Why i switch to Canon"

"Why i switch to Nikon"
"Why i switch to Sony"
"Why i switch to Olympus"
"Why i switch to Fujifilm"

and my suprise is that i found nothing about ""Why i switch to Pentax", or maybe just a few small dpreview threads, but 8 of 10 are "omg, i think i should leave pentax and back to nikon,canon"
how sad!

07-04-2018, 05:13 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There’s a lot of truth in what you said. I made the switch from Canon to Nikon to Pentax quite a few years ago, but mine was an informed decision. I was looking for specific features and Pentax was the only one that did them all best.

None of my switches made me a better photographer, they just provided me the gear I wanted and needed for what I do. This is where I think most people make the mistake, they think one brand does X better than what they use and that will make them a “pro” photog. Most of them haven’t mastered the gear they are using. In this world, it’s easy to succumb to the hype of advertising and the media in general. And we all know Ricoh/Pentax does very little compared to the others.
07-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just subbing here

07-04-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Market share, perception, and peer pressure all contribute, but so does the lack of shelf space at the few local dealers...

07-04-2018, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, we do get some members here who do talk about their reasons for moving to Pentax gear from another brand, just as twilhelm does in the post above. Mostly, though, it’s done as part of a discussion about some Pentax feature that causes frustration among members, so you’d have to search the forums to find them, rather than have someone making the case into a blog post or video.
07-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Actually, we do get some members here who do talk about their reasons for moving to Pentax gear from another brand, just as twilhelm does in the post above. Mostly, though, it’s done as part of a discussion about some Pentax feature that causes frustration among members, so you’d have to search the forums to find them, rather than have someone making the case into a blog post or video.
You’re right on this. If I needed a top shelf multiple and portable flash set up, I’d likely also shoot with Nikon, mostly because Nikon makes it easier. I can do anything comparable with Pentax, it just takes more work. My shooting doesn’t require this on a daily basis, so I’m still here, but that is one of the reasons you’ll find in posts here.

My base is this: If consumers made informed comparisons, and knew what they really needed from a system, there would be a much more evenly distributed market share.
07-04-2018, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote
but 8 of 10 are "omg, i think i should leave pentax and back to nikon,canon
So, do you see any common reasons for this sentiment as you look through these? It would be interesting if there was a specific thing that was lacking that came out. It would also be interesting if it was just a meaningless mishmash of complaints.

07-04-2018, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
Why Pentax I think it was Ian Watson and his ME Super when I was a kid at school, eventually I picked up a K1000. Was really disappointed at the scans on the kodak photo CD's and decided I needed a digital back, bought a K200D loved that but wanted something a little better and bought a K5 and lots of lenses . If you are prepared to focus manually there are thousands of bargains to be had. Nikon and Canon can't compete. My next target is a K1.

Pentax makes great cameras that I can mostly afford.
07-04-2018, 07:59 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

For my needs and budget, Pentax makes the most sense.
. Great affordable lenses
. IBIS
. Best ergonomics
. Great sensors
. Very rugged, weather sealing available
. DNGs work well with any raw developer
. Last but not least, the best user community bar none!
07-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
For my needs and budget, Pentax makes the most sense.
. Great affordable lenses
. IBIS
. Best ergonomics
. Great sensors
. Very rugged, weather sealing available
. DNGs work well with any raw developer
. Last but not least, the best user community bar none!
While all true, the last line is spot on!
07-04-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Found odd that on the one hand, these "should I switch" questions frame it as a very long term "investment" in a brand that will outlive the sun, on the other hand some change all their gear every 1-2 years.

Either way, I never switched to pentax, the compact I was using before is not comparable really I got to use a fuji xt2 recently and, while a nice and well built camera, I still prefer an optical viewfinder.
07-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes movement to Pentax is relatively slow but remember a lot of those I switched to .. threads have sponsors or are attached to clickbait using sites or videos.

The rarity of such Pentax directed links is just testament to how little (no) marketing Ricoh/Pentax does.
07-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I bought a Samsung NX100 with the 20-50mm kit lens last year to try out the mirrorless thing. It was surprisingly good.

I have recently expanded this kit with an NX1 body, along with 16-50mm f/2.0-2.8 and 50-150mm f/2.8 lenses. I only wanted the 50-150mm to use on the NX100 but the seller made me an off that I could not refuse.

Unfortunately the NX1 has some issues. Shutter speeds above 1/500 second are best avoided. The rock bottom price was not without reason, but the seller was very forthright about it before the deal was done. My guess is that a new shutter is required and that the seller did not want the hassle and expense involved with repairs for a dead camera brand.

Apart from the shutter issue, the camera works fine. I am blown away by the IQ. The low light capabilities are in a whole new league for me.
07-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure if I qualify as a "mover" but originally I went from a Canon AE Program (SLR) to a Pentax K-x (DSLR). My big factors at the time:
* I was still a bit annoyed at Canon regarding completely orphaning the FD mount without even providing an adaptor option. Pentax appealed because of its stellar backwards compatibility history. With Pentax I could buy older second hand lenses if I wanted and use those.
* I also liked:
** feature to cost ratio
** ergonomics & build (especially at the price point)

I suspect (but don't have any figures) that Pentax users have a fairly high satisfaction ratio. The main exception seems to be with action oriented photographers. For example recently in a photography store I came across someone who had bought a K-1 and returned it because "it didn't suit" - turns out he does a reasonable amount of action photography.
All anecdotal as I have never been able to find any sort of impartial brand satisfaction study results - and possibly doesn't exist.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 07-04-2018 at 01:56 PM.
07-04-2018, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I suspect (but don't have any figures) that Pentax users have a fairly high satisfaction ratio.
I’m sure you’re correct, but from reading some of the posts on PF, that notion must appear counter-intuitive to others!