Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #1

My work flow time saver

OK for us in the USA we just celebrated our country's birthday. Now that we have hundreds of photos to sort through how do you save time?
I'd like to share my system & you can share yours. I have a K3II and it has two card slots. I shoot raw+ and set the jpeg to medium/low (raw on a fast card & jpeg on a 2 gb card. After the day or days of shooting I'll put the jpeg card into a good digital picture frame for viewing. Over the next week or so I'll randomly pay attention to the scrolling photos and document the photos that jump out to me or the ones my wife likes. Then I'll spend a day or so doing a little PP on the best of the best. This has saved me countless hours of setting in front of the computer, pixel peeking & trying to figure out how to make all the photos I took into keepers 😟😟 now I just spend time on the ones that catch my eye. I know this system won't work on a professional work flow but its great on celebrations, vacations and fun photography.
Please share your system ☺

Photobill

07-05-2018, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just love to look at the pictures I've taken, notice things I didn't notice (or didn't have the time to notice) while I was there, re-live the moment...
I like it, and I like to do it at my own pace, so it's not a chore, but a pleasure
07-05-2018, 12:48 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tend to review them, quickly assess which I want to concentrate on and then go back and look at anything else that might be salvaged - I expect to lose 10 shots for every 1 keeper but that's just the way I am. I did that even in film. Sometimes I would have a roll with 20+ keepers of 36 - sometimes not. I don't sweat it. It's better to take the shots than to not take them even if they don't turn out. I do tend to get more keepers when I am less adventurous. But I also make less progress in the art.

I'm glad this works for you - and I may try it just for fun.
07-05-2018, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I always use raw and process in Lightroom. My first step is to review all the photos doing minimal or no processing. Potential keepers get 1-star rating. Completely failed photos - missed focus, wrong settings - get permanently deleted.

I then return to the 1-star photos and process them, increasing the rating if good, and unstarring ones that no longer seem like keepers.

Action photography is a little different. If I'm shooting bursts, I try to evaluate each burst as a group to find the best one. I'll process that one and apply settings to the group, to see if I change my mind about the best one.

07-05-2018, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm with DeadJohn on this, but I can see the benefits of preliminary selection from a very big shoot.
07-05-2018, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

1 Transfer photos from card to "2018" folder on computer after a shooting spree (a special day out somewhere, a trip, a museum, a concert...) and take a cursory glance. They'll stay in their original session folders (within the 2018 folder) until I get back to them.

2 Go through each folder, process those that interest me most, and put those up on flickr.

3 A while later, go through them again, see if there are any more I want to process, bin the really uninteresting ones, move everything else directly into the 2018 folder, bin the original session folder.

4 Beginning of 2019, go through the 2018 folder, see if there's anything I missed, process those, put them up on flickr. Bin just about everything else that hasn't been processed by that point. (A few unnprocessed shots stay around, just in case. They'll generally be binned anyway later.)

Ongoing: Go through flickr (remember: every processed shot gets immediately uploaded) to get a sense of what I have and where I'm at. Choose one or two per month to be printed on fine art paper. These, I show friends who express an interest. I may cull from these for a first exhibit someday... My printer has two on her shop wall, framed and up for sale alongside others by fellow clients.
07-05-2018, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Capture RAW (DNG)
  2. Using card reader, copy folder from card to computer desktop
  3. Eject card reader and remove card
  4. Use ExifTool to apply lens model name to standard EXIF (semi-automated and easier than it sounds) for vintage lenses and lenses without support in LR
  5. Import into Lighroom with basic key words and expanded copyright information written to the LR catalog. Also as part of import, the folder's files are copied into the Pictures directory organized by year and date where they will permanently reside and never (ideally) be changed again.
  6. Delete folder from desktop
  7. Either immediately or later, there is a first pass flagging of files for removal. A file may be removed if an obvious duplicate, has obvious technical flaw with no visible positve side effect, or is simply boring with useful attributes. Once the flagging is done, the files are removed from LR and from disk as a batch operation.
  8. At some time, there will be a second pass over the files where the following is done:
    • Addition of additional key words and comments
    • Flagging images of merit
    • More flagging and removal of undesirable images
  9. Processing of desirable images for online sharing or publishing to prints/cards/goods. A few notes:
    • PP is always done on virtual copies
    • The virtual copy feature is highly leveraged, particularly for pass-through to external editors (e.g. Photoshop) and for publication-specific edits (e.g. edits intended for printing to a specific printer/paper icc profile)
    • Tags are liberally applied at each step, both for descriptive reasons and to document purpose and context
    • The collection/subcollection feature is used for grouping images (virtual copies mostly) into meaningful categories.
    All of this make it easier to find a particular image using search, drill for photos from specific events, trips, subjects, or topic.
I will note too than I maintain several export profiles, each of which is tailored to the intended publication target. I will also share that I don't export to DNG or any other proprietary format or meta data structure. Exported files are always JPEG (sRGB) or 16-bit TIFF (ProPhoto RGB or Melissa RGB). I will also add that in addition to mirrored storage, two weekly backups are also done to an external drive. I do not use cloud-based backup.

The above may seem involved, but no step outside the actual PP editing is particularly time consuming and there is nothing in the above that does not pay a dividend down the road.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-05-2018 at 04:29 PM.
07-05-2018, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the awesome workflow techniques !!!
Keep them coming only 40,000 to go 😉
We could ask Adam if we get to 100,000 post will PF throw in a FF lens to go with the K1 😉

07-05-2018, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Interesting reading - and some good processes. I'll have to incorporate some into my *very* basic workflow.
07-09-2018, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use Capture One and what I do is go thru quickly looking at the pictures. the duds, and there are many, get 1 star. I created a smart filter long ago that looks for photos with one star. I just click on this filter, it loads all the one star photos, I select all and delete them. This allows a chance to review something if you like before it's gone. I think once I found something I wanted to keep.

Tim
07-14-2018, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzyphotos Quote
I use Capture One and what I do is go thru quickly looking at the pictures. the duds, and there are many, get 1 star. I created a smart filter long ago that looks for photos with one star. I just click on this filter, it loads all the one star photos, I select all and delete them. This allows a chance to review something if you like before it's gone. I think once I found something I wanted to keep.

Tim

This is a fine idea!
07-14-2018, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use FastStone, which loads the embedded jpg quickly, and I delete the obvious duds. Then I will compare near-duplicates for the best shot(s) - Faststone can display 2-4 images at a time so that is very handy as well.

I process all the keepers in Elements 15 fairly quick and dirty (exposure, contrast, leveling) - hopefully 10 seconds each max for the vast majority. A few may take some cloning out the baby carriage or someone's foot. The top 80% or so go in my online SlickPic albums. Sometimes I will redo one or a series at a much later time after looking at it enough to think I can make it noticeably better.