Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2018, 11:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma/Tamron lens recommendations

These competitions are brilliant. The need to increase the boost rate means I can ask questions that have probably been asked a million times before without anyone tearing me a new one

OK. I have a sigma 28-80mm macro and it is 'orrible! However, when I looked at what it produces I was very pleasantly surprised. The Chinese toy plastics hide a really useful and fun lens that is great for newbies as it is also ridiculously cheap (mine was £25). Which leads me to my question. Do you have a favourite sigma? Is there one that in your opinion everyone should own? Is there an undiscovered gem that can be acquired for very little outlay?

I have a tremendous kit in so far as I have my focal lengths covered (pentax 10-17, 18-135 & da-l 55-300) and I have a big box of vintage primes. I was looking at the 18-250 but decided against it but I am open to previously unconsidered cheap non-pentax brands if they come Pentax forums recommended. I would also like an AF wide-ish angle, The only AF prime I have is the smc da 35mm. So, is there anything I should be looking at?

07-06-2018, 12:41 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my favorite Sigma lens is my 28mm f1.8 EX DG - great color/sharpness/bokeh and it's close-focusing ability make it a very versatile lens...
07-06-2018, 01:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
my favorite Sigma lens is my 28mm f1.8 EX DG - great color/sharpness/bokeh and it's close-focusing ability make it a very versatile lens...
This is going to be one of those "...and you can get one for just $500!" Situations isn't it! You get me all enthusiastic then I see the price OK, time to check it out thanks
07-06-2018, 03:48 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
This is going to be one of those "...and you can get one for just $500!" Situations isn't it! You get me all enthusiastic then I see the price OK, time to check it out thanks
I rarely purchase new lenses and even then I tend to pick/wait/stumble across bargains...

I did purchase this lens new, but it was a discontinued/clearance item from Adorama at $239...

07-06-2018, 04:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, as suspected, £400+. Although the 35mm art lens is reasonably priced

---------- Post added 07-06-18 at 04:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I rarely purchase new lenses and even then I tend to pick/wait/stumble across bargains...

I did purchase this lens new, but it was a discontinued/clearance item from Adorama at $239...
Same here, and i have had some real bargains off fleabay. I am up around the 30 lens mark, of which one was new, my fantastic Pentax fish eye which was on offer at £295. It is nice to buy new though as you get all the lovely paperwork that you subsequently throw away
07-06-2018, 05:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Sigma super-wide (24mm f2.8) is great if you can find an AF version. MF is usually $60-100.

Last edited by tonezime; 07-06-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: mini -> super
07-06-2018, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro as well, it is a nice lens.
I've played with the Sigma 8-16 as well, and that is decidedly not an inexpensive lens. It's unique, though.

I've heard a lot of good things about Tamron's 90mm macro in comparison with the Pentax 100mm and Sigma 105s. I think they'd all suit someone doing insect work.

07-06-2018, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not have many Sigma lenses but one of them is a gem. The 50mm F:2.8 macro.
1:1 macro is great for small insects and flowers, I will not bore you with lots of images or even my favourites, just this recent one.
Mine is a manual focus lens that looks like it has been through the wars, the painted on distance markings are not quite all there. I understand they do an AF version too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have\had got Sigma 10-20 f3,5 APSC lens, 70-200 2,8 EX DG HSM , 24-35 f2 Art. All of them are good to exceptional lenses in their own way. Sigma lenses are now as good as original manufacturers. Some lenses exists just in sigma lineup 18-35 1,8 50-100 1,8 24-35 2,0 and their fast primes are marvelous.
07-06-2018, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Sigma Mini-Wide is a 28mm optic that didn't come in an AF version. The Super-Wide came in three versions; original, Super-Wide II, and Super-Wide II AF. The IQ is supposed to improve with every version of the Super-Wide. I don't think the Mini-Wide is anything special although it's not bad either.

I like the 28mm EX as previously mentioned although it's large, heavy, and I don't think the AF is especially accurate (I have been told that this is not the case, your mileage may vary). I had an older copy of the 17-70 which was really useful for travel.

I kind of want a Super-Wide II AF as a 35mm equivalent on a crop body. Here's what I would do after reading your post and considering the lenses you already own;

I can't see any reason to consider a super-zoom like the 18-250. The 18-135 and 55-300's are great. Consider a lens like the DA 15 or Sigma 10-20 or 8-16. I don't get a feeling for what else you're missing; are you okay with focusing those vintage primes? If so, I think we're done here. If not, what focal length are you most interested in? 50mm on crop is nice for portraits and subject isolation; the DA 50 1.8 punches well above its weight here, in my estimation. A used DA 70 would also be nice here.
07-06-2018, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Over the years I've owned several Sigma and Tamron lenses - along with many Pentax lenses. Eventually, I pretty much settled on the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens (non HSM) as my main, go-to lens (Sigma calls it "macro", I call it "close-up"). Very good images from near to far. Very reasonable price-wise - can usually be had for less than $150 USD.
07-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Do you have a favourite sigma? Is there one that in your opinion everyone should own? Is there an undiscovered gem that can be acquired for very little outlay?
I own two of their lenses (both recent build) and am quite happy. I don't shop vintage Sigma, however. The mini-wides have their fans on this site, but most of their stuff prior to the last decade or so (pre-2005) was a bit "down-market" at the time it was sold.

Steve
07-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The Sigma Mini-Wide is a 28mm optic that didn't come in an AF version. The Super-Wide came in three versions; original, Super-Wide II, and Super-Wide II AF.
Sorry, yes, updated my post. I meant the Super-Wide. I've used the Super-Wide II in MF and I've read that the AF is just as good.
07-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I kind of want a Super-Wide II AF as a 35mm equivalent on a crop body.
You're in luck, KEH has one right now (EX, $168): Sigma 24mm F/2.8 Super-Wide II Macro Autofocus Lens For Pentax K Mount {52} at KEH Camera Store
07-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I've heard a lot of good things about Tamron's 90mm macro in comparison with the Pentax 100mm and Sigma 105s. I think they'd all suit someone doing insect work.

agreed - Tamron's 90mm macro, all the way back to the Adaptall mount and going forward, is an exemplary lens....