Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, this is not great. Not entirely unexpected, but not great. I emailed to see if they'd be getting any new K-mount stock in and the response is "Thanks for reaching out! But, unfortunately we will not be procuring more Pentax K mount gear, just due to the low demand for Pentax rentals in general."

11-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Well, this is not great. Not entirely unexpected, but not great. I emailed to see if they'd be getting any new K-mount stock in and the response is "Thanks for reaching out! But, unfortunately we will not be procuring more Pentax K mount gear, just due to the low demand for Pentax rentals in general."
That's a shame indeed

So, just work with what's available. Pick something... anything... that they already have, and that you haven't used before. Get some fun out of that gift card. You have a wonderful opportunity there for the taking!!
11-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

And as was noted earlier, They may offer the rental cost as a discount if they are selling used. Keep it and pay the difference if you love it. Remember, all of us LBA sufferers love to help people spend their money on lenses! They also sell accessories if you need a tripod or lighting. The Pentax lenses they have for sale are decently priced if in VG to EX condition.

More options at least.
11-14-2018, 05:49 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I had thought that Thanksgiving week was a great opportunity, but being next week their already small selection is getting rented out and unavailable. So I think my final decision is going to be to rent a K-1 for the week of Christmas. I can use my Lomography Daguerreotype on it to full effect, I have a Helios 44, the 40 LTD works on full frame, and my Auto Chinon I used for Single in October is FF, too. Everything else I can use in crop mode. I've always been curious about the full frame magic, and now I'll have some real life experience to compare to my K-3ii and K-30 kits.

11-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I had thought that Thanksgiving week was a great opportunity, but being next week their already small selection is getting rented out and unavailable. So I think my final decision is going to be to rent a K-1 for the week of Christmas. I can use my Lomography Daguerreotype on it to full effect, I have a Helios 44, the 40 LTD works on full frame, and my Auto Chinon I used for Single in October is FF, too. Everything else I can use in crop mode. I've always been curious about the full frame magic, and now I'll have some real life experience to compare to my K-3ii and K-30 kits.
The Lomography lens should make for some interesting holiday images! Will you have time to use all of the varied aperture cards with different bokeh shapes?
11-15-2018, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The Lomography lens should make for some interesting holiday images! Will you have time to use all of the varied aperture cards with different bokeh shapes?
Absolutely. The Lomo really shines with point light sources in out of focus areas, so during Christmas it really comes into its own. I'm looking forward to the full-on swirly edges of the frame on FF with the K-1.
11-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Following up... I have about a month until I have a K-1 for a week. What do I need to do to prepare? I'd like little time trying to figure out a new camera and mostly time just shooting.

I have a K-3ii and a K-30. What major differences am I going to see ergonomically or functionally with the K-1? I think the menus will be mostly the same, but not entirely. Same D-LI90 battery, so that's good.

I know, I should start by downloading and then reading the !@#$%^& manual.

11-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Following up... I have about a month until I have a K-1 for a week. What do I need to do to prepare? I'd like little time trying to figure out a new camera and mostly time just shooting.

I have a K-3ii and a K-30. What major differences am I going to see ergonomically or functionally with the K-1? I think the menus will be mostly the same, but not entirely. Same D-LI90 battery, so that's good.

I know, I should start by downloading and then reading the !@#$%^& manual.
might I suggest looking at the in depth review as well

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews