Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photographers, those who were, and are, just a tad better.

Pondered with the idea of a social group for this. In the largest sense, what photographer's work is special to you? My background is history (professionally, I suppose everyone's background is history). I just finished Timothy Egan's book about Curtis (recommend it). This led to Timothy O'Sullivan. I have only just glanced at Library of Congress collections. This is me. I really would like suggestions of other photographers modern or historic that you find special, and dare i say,why?. We can learn much from those who did.

07-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Death89

I haven't even bothered exploring historic photography yet! I just take pictures that please me. And look at the various model specific threads here and the monthly competitions for inspiration of course.

One day I have the time for both, I'm sure of it...
07-09-2018, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A contemporary photographer who consistently astonishes me is Dougie Wallace. This guy dips his lenses in venom.

THE AGE OF WEALTH ? DOUGIE WALLACE
07-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a student, I was always in awe of the macro photographs of Heather Angel:

Heather Angel - Wildlife, Nature, Macro Photography

07-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sam Abell has been published in NatGeo and elsewhere.
He graciously gives his time and talent in judging and selecting photographs submitted for our town's annual photo contest. Best of all, he crtitiques each of the selected works in a presentation, and I have both been inspired and learned tremendously by his guidance.

Joel Meyerowitz was a huge inspiration for me, especially his Cape Light series

The works of Edward and Cole Weston influenced me as well.

Otherwise, I find many talented photographers in magazine, on Flickr, and of course on PF who inspire me, and challenge me as well
07-09-2018, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
A contemporary photographer who consistently astonishes me is Dougie Wallace. This guy dips his lenses in venom.

THE AGE OF WEALTH ? DOUGIE WALLACE
I looked at this site after a couple of adult beverages. it may have helped. I have to admit the fellow has a unique eye.

---------- Post added 07-09-18 at 04:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Sam Abell has been published in NatGeo and elsewhere.
He graciously gives his time and talent in judging and selecting photographs submitted for our town's annual photo contest. Best of all, he crtitiques each of the selected works in a presentation, and I have both been inspired and learned tremendously by his guidance.

Joel Meyerowitz was a huge inspiration for me, especially his Cape Light series

The works of Edward and Cole Weston influenced me as well.

Otherwise, I find many talented photographers in magazine, on Flickr, and of course on PF who inspire me, and challenge me as well
Opened with a railroad and i am hooked. Much of this can only make you humble and then makes you want to go out and do. Thanks!

---------- Post added 07-09-18 at 05:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Death89 Quote
I haven't even bothered exploring historic photography yet! I just take pictures that please me. And look at the various model specific threads here and the monthly competitions for inspiration of course.

One day I have the time for both, I'm sure of it...
An art collector told me when I said I was not sure why I bought, or desired, what i did (we are not talking big bucks, believe me) said simply, "If it sings. . . "
07-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you mentioned Curtis. My list includes him, Adams, Weston (Edward, Brett, and Cole), most of the F/64 group, Cartier-Bresson, and and and...my mind goes numb. We so very much stand on the shoulders of giants.

Steve

07-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Pondered with the idea of a social group for this. In the largest sense, what photographer's work is special to you?
I really would like suggestions of other photographers modern or historic that you find special, and dare i say,why?
For B&W, Sebastiao Salgado's work and vision are exceptional to me. Why? Many reasons. Most of the world is photographed and recorded by first world photographers in the first world. Salgado has spent a lifetime shooting the rest of humanity, but not as a tourist gawking at the poverty, but rather the beauty of the human spirit in the struggle of survival and life. He has also championed work for social, economic, and environmental causes that I find selfless and important.

Accueil - Sebastiao Salgado

For color, Steve McCurry is my top inspiration. McCurry was, rather fittingly, given the last roll of Kodachrome off the assembly line, to shoot, and Nat Geo made a documentary about it. When I look at a McCurry image, I often feel like I'm seeing a color for the first time.

Steve McCurry | Photographer

Yes, both photographer are still alive, and there are those that have passed that I, too, admire, but for different reasons.
07-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about Man Ray, Erich Salomon, Dorothea Lange, Wynn Bullock.
07-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
Forum Member

Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light" is inspirational, as was his slide show that I attended at the University of Akron - he caused me to want to be in those places at those moments, experiencing the beauty. I also really love Henri Cartier-Bresson. I've more recently been taken by the black and white photography of Tad Nichols: he brought his large format camera into Glen Canyon before it was flooded - take a look "Glen Canyon: Images of a Lost World." So impressive that he humped his large format camera into those remote canyons - in his work I can feel the heat of the desert sun and the cool of the canyon shadows. I am grateful to him, yet sorry the place is lost.

Your question prompts personal reflection and inspires me to go and see...

thanks for asking.
07-10-2018, 03:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Josef Sudek

Josef Sudek | artnet

From my corner of the world:

Olegas Truchanas

Olegas Truchanas - Wikipedia

Peter Dombrovskis

Peter Dombrovskis - Wikipedia

Mark Strizic

Mark Strizic - Wikipedia

---------- Post added 07-10-18 at 03:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
Josef Sudek

Josef Sudek | artnet

From my corner of the world:

Olegas Truchanas

Olegas Truchanas - Wikipedia

Peter Dombrovskis

Peter Dombrovskis - Wikipedia

Mark Strizic

Mark Strizic - Wikipedia
And from the other side of the world again

Seamus Murphy

Here is some of his beautiful cinematography, accompanied by PJ Harvey's album "Let England Shake" which is half rediscovering Englishness and half shining a light on the horrors of war.

His photos are just as brilliant.
07-10-2018, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a big fan of William Henry Jackson. The first person to photograph Yellowstone and a lot of other locations out west. His gear took two mules to haul around. Most of his field work done with an 11 x 14 glass plate camera using the wet plate process. We are real wimps in comparison and complain about a few extra ounces or grams of weight in a lens. He lived to be 99. His early life is even more fascinating. Must have been good for him as he lived to be 99 years old.

Last edited by gaweidert; 07-11-2018 at 06:25 AM.
07-10-2018, 05:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Richard Ettlinger, Greg Benz.
07-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, so many!

Amongst contemporary photographers, Ryu Voekel (sports), David LaChappelle (portraits), Tim Flach (animals), Bernard Edmaier (landscape).

From the past, Larry Clark (documentary), Elliot Erwitt (street), Irving Penn (portraits), Man Ray (conceptual).

A heap of others.
07-10-2018, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

David Hume Kennerly

I'd recommend picking up a copy of Shooter. If that doesn't make you want to grab a camera and do something, don't know what would.