Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Not being an iPhone user I don't know this, but does the iPhone have a built in app that uses flickr as it's default upload site? That would explain much.
You can download the Flickr app and have it auto upload all your pics to the site.

07-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
You can download the Flickr app and have it auto upload all your pics to the site.
I wonder if there is a Flickr app for Android.
Apps like that are usually provided by the upload target, and I find it difficult to believe that Flickr would ignore the vast Android population.
07-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Apps like that are usually provided by the upload target, and I find it difficult to believe that Flickr would ignore the vast Android population.
Probably
07-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh. Hold me back. I must have a picture of a kitten playing with a ball of yarn around here someplace.

07-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup:

Flickr - Apps on Google Play

First feature is "Put your free 1000GB to work - auto-upload all your photos and videos, privately storing them in your Flickr camera roll." I'd assume the auto-uploading could be turned off, or could be set to upload with privacy settings so you aren't showering the world with kitten photos. Of possible interest- it says this app has been downloaded 10,000,00+ times.

It also looks like third party apps are available to auto-upload to flickr.
07-13-2018, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Yup:

Flickr - Apps on Google Play

First feature is "Put your free 1000GB to work - auto-upload all your photos and videos, privately storing them in your Flickr camera roll." I'd assume the auto-uploading could be turned off, or could be set to upload with privacy settings so you aren't showering the world with kitten photos. Of possible interest- it says this app has been downloaded 10,000,00+ times.

It also looks like third party apps are available to auto-upload to flickr.
I believe it defaults to all photos uploaded are private.

---------- Post added 07-13-18 at 05:40 PM ----------

Oh. Hold me back. I must have a picture of a kitten playing with a ball of yarn around here someplace.
It is a nice backup for your pics.

Back on topic. I take a lot of pics with my iPhone, way more than any other camera. I decided that it is good enough for most situations. If I am taking pics in low light I use a “real” camera but that isn’t that often any more. Most of my pics are family snapshots and will likely never be printed. Good ones get shared on Instagram.

I can see the difference in quality between my big cameras and the iPhone but I don’t care that much for my daily pics.
07-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #112
Pentaxian

I believe it defaults to all photos uploaded are private.
The original issue was whether a feature would cause the Flickr statistics to be biased. If iPhones, and nothing else, are delivered with a Flickr app pre-installed, that would bias the stats; the stats would also be biased if people who purchase iPhones are more likely to install the Flickr app, but we don't have any reason to believe the latter is true.

07-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The original issue was whether a feature would cause the Flickr statistics to be biased. If iPhones, and nothing else, are delivered with a Flickr app pre-installed, that would bias the stats; the stats would also be biased if people who purchase iPhones are more likely to install the Flickr app, but we don't have any reason to believe the latter is true.
The Flickr app was not preinstalled on any of the 3 iPhones or 4 iPads that we've gotten over the years.

Also note that a 2015 analysis of uploads at 500px had iPhones in 3 of the top 5 slots, too.
07-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #114
Veteran Member

It is not pre installed.

I’m sure the auto upload skews the stats a little but it is obvious that most people use a smart phone as their main camera.
07-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original issue was whether a feature would cause the Flickr statistics to be biased.
My impression is that Flickr users are skewed towards North Americans with above average income, which is also a better market for iPhones, but that doesn't fully explain the big lead for iPhone models in camera usage for all Flickr users. The only conclusion that can be drawn from the Flickr stats is that iPhone users are far more likely to upload photos to Flickr than Android phone users.

There is no technological reason for that discrepancy, from experience I know that taking and sharing photographs with an iPhone is no better or worse than with the KeyOne I'm using right now and the image quality is slightly better with the KeyOne than with the iPhone 6 I was using. Most of the billions of smartphone users don't upload pictures to specialized photo-sharing websites, but of the small minority that do, these are predominately iPhone users. I'll make a wild guess that >99% of professional photographers are also smartphone users and most of the professional photographers that are also Flickr users are also iPhone users, even though iPhones don't provide a better built-in camera. What does all this data tell us? Not much, other than we can confidently state that Flickr users don't accurately represent the global population of smartphone users.
07-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #116
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This thread has certainly gone off in unexpected directions!
07-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
This thread has certainly gone off in unexpected directions!
07-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I received a phone call from a real person on my iPhone 6s today.
07-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a nice backup for your pics.
Former Megaupload user here. Been burnt once.

---------- Post added 07-13-18 at 07:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I received a phone call from a real person on my iPhone 6s today.
How did you deal with that?
07-13-2018, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How did you deal with that?
Auto Upload to Voicemail after 3 vibrations. App came enabled on my phone