Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Tony

So did you score a new phone then...?

Dave

No sir, not at all. They confiscated the cell and then sent me on my way.

Thnx,

TT

07-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #32
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
No sir, not at all. They confiscated the cell and then sent me on my way.

Thnx,

TT
Hi Tony

They must have dropped in your tray then.
To see the response
Must have been a slow day for them.

Dave
07-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #33

In Europe usually they ask to put in separate bin, maybe to turn on or to show lenses - thats it.
08-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #34
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just got back from two weeks in Great Britain. Airport Security was the least of my issues. Long lines at passport control (Amsterdam, Frankfort - up to an hour at each), having to ride busses around the tarmac full of unhappy crowded people (Amsterdam, Frankfort), after going through three passport security checks having three people holding up the line arguing travel documentation with a ticket agent, having the aircraft not cleaned in enough time causing delay, having a warning light come on and returning to the spot on the tarmac to find out it was a sensor issue, sitting on the tarmac for almost an hour waiting for a storm to pass. Having the airline interrupt your "entertainment" selection every five minutes to try and sell you something for the first three hours of a ten hour flight. Now those are problems, the camera and lenses passed along as if they were nothing, the only hassle was getting enough plastic bins for the computer, camera, phone, Kindle, Zune, Fitbit, belt, coat, hat, document satchel etc. and the lines waiting - now that was the problem.

08-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

new equipment

available in only certain locales

TSA tests scanners that allow travelers to keep electronics and liquids in their bags when going through airport security - The Washington Post
08-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They told me to put my KP back in the bag before sending it through the scanner.
08-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The easiest way would be to get pre-check, which allows you to keep the electronics in your bag.

However removing camera gear has often been needed prior to this rule, because big lenses can block (or even refract?) x rays.
I just went through TSA PreCheck at St Louis and Colorado Springs with K-1, DFA*50/1.4, three FA Limiteds, FGZ540 flash, metal tabletop tripod, extra L-Ion batteries, a charger and a cord in a Domke F3 bag. Also had a laptop and IPad*, chargers for them, a bunch of pens and pencils, earbuds, and some other stuff in a briefcase.

I didn’t have to take off any clothes or shoes or take anything out of my bags.

* They said if I had two laptops I would have to remove them.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-13-2018 at 04:41 PM.
08-14-2018, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
* They said if I had two laptops I would have to remove them.
To make sure you couldn't start a fire by rubbing them together??

08-14-2018, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember one of the easiest way for you to get quickly through security

is to make someone else carry your gear

you get through quickly

no comment on how that might reflect other aspects of your life

or affect other aspects of your life

seriously, if you fly enough to make the fee attractive, enroll into the PreChek system for air travel in the US

TSA Pre✓ | Transportation Security Administration

" Keep moving. TSA Pre✓ saves you time and stress.
With a 5 year, $85 membership, you can speed through security and don’t need to remove your:
shoes, laptops, liquids, belts and light jackets.

Available to US citizens, nationals and LPRs.

TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport. All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening. "

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-14-2018 at 05:38 AM.
08-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

ok, a twist of sorts

in 2016, we flew from the US to Holland and then onto Tanzania

we flew KLM from Holland to Tanzania

what we could carry on with KLM was different than what we could carry on with the US carrier. I had to check a carry on.

now we are planning on doing the same trip next year and I am worried about different rules again.

specifically TSA says I can carry on a camera monopod:

" Camera Monopod

Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes
You may transport this item in carry-on or checked bags. For items you wish to carry on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

What Can I Bring? | Transportation Security Administration

but I am worried about KLM

by the time I find out whether there is a problem with it being in my carry on luggage - the checked baggage will have been submitted.

what do I do if I am denied permission to carry on the monopod?

This is the item in question:
Oben CTM-2400 4-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod
MFR #CTM-2400
59.2" Maximum Height
Supports Up to 22 lb
6x Carbon Fiber Construction
Retractable Spike in Foot
Twist Locks & Anti-Rotation Shaft
Wrist Strap with Belt Clip
Collapses to 18.3"
Lightweight - Less than 1 lb

suggestions

any actual experiences with KLM ?

obviously I am worried about loss or theft of the monopod in check luggage
08-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #41
PDL
Pentaxian

Put the Monopod in your checked bag. I did that with two REI walking sticks that can double as monopods, although I did not use them for that function. I also saw people carry on walking sticks, guitars, cellos etc. without having to go out of their way to get stuff on and off the airplanes. There were families with strollers and bicycle people with bikes in carrying cases with all of it going into checked luggage. I don't think that having some random baggage handler rummaging through your checked luggage to score monopod is much of a worry, but if it is, then get insurance. Getting insurance will not solve your immediate issue of not having the monopod, but at least you could get it replaced.
08-18-2018, 05:28 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would either contact KLM or just check it. A stick in a bag isnt going to attract attention from thieves.

Im currently on my way back from Santiago Chile. No issues with any equipment, camera or otherwise. I did have to throw the bottle of water I tried to bring on the plane to drink on the way back to the US on LATAM, but that was the only issue. I dont think my bags were even looked at in customs going between Chile and Argentina, it was a very easy process down there. But I only brought film and a pair of XAs...
08-18-2018, 05:56 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
ok, a twist of sorts

what do I do if I am denied permission to carry on the monopod?
put the monopod in the checked luggage. KLM forbids 'blunt objects that can be hit with and thus serious injuries can be inflicted'
08-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
put the monopod in the checked luggage. KLM forbids 'blunt objects that can be hit with and thus serious injuries can be inflicted'
thanks for the info on KLM policy

I will check the monopod and hope for the best

learning about the policy after I checked the other luggage is what I feared since it would be too late to add it to the checked luggage at that time
08-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #45
Pentaxian

For the recent NZ trip, my tripod was in the checked baggage; no issues via BA or Cathay. Also no issues at security for hand baggage; lenses and incidentals in my rucksack and the camera over my shoulder in its neoprene skin.