Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #46
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just went through the Kansas City Mo air port ( MCI ) and O'Hare International Air Port this weekend

each time I put my back pack with my camera gear on the conveyor belt for the x ray and opened it up so the stuff was visible.

I did not have to remove the equipment from the back pack

I do have prechek

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-08-2018 at 06:23 AM.
10-08-2018, 05:42 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I went through Berlin Tegel and Bordeaux Merignac last week and didnt even have to take out any camera stuff...
10-08-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just went through Abu Dhabi, London, Edinburgh, Chicago, Boise, Seattle and LAX airports in four weeks, all they wanted was laptop and Kindle out on display, no one cared about camera gear.

10-08-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just went through Abu Dhabi, London, Edinburgh, Chicago, Boise, Seattle and LAX airports in four weeks, all they wanted was laptop and Kindle out on display, no one cared about camera gear.
Same with Bangkok and Bali

10-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #50
Forum Member

Tripods I'll always put in the checked baggage, never had a problem with that. Camera's / bodies / lenses I'll bring on the plane. On a rare occasion security wants to have another look. Challenges I met was 1 security officer at Split (Croatia) not being sure about bringing a drone / batteries in the cabin baggage but fortunately his colleague could inform him it was good. And on a vacation to Oman I brought 'so much' that I could hardly convince the border police it wasn't a business trip. They'll x-ray all baggage coming into the country. After plenty questions I was allowed through but was told I could take photos but no video. Had to leave the drone (phantom) on the airport but fortunately the gopro on the gimbal looked 'harmless' enough. I knew the drone was going to be a challenge at some point so wasn't too taken by it. Mostly just costed a lot of extra time but received everything in good order on the return journey. Funny addition to the story is that on that return journey, after picking the drone up we got a police officer to guide us through all security stages. Probably to inform all was good and we should be allowed through. It was a friendly young fellow and after learning we were Dutch he started talking about his favourite soccer player, a Dutch fellow as well. I'm not much of a soccer fan but we had a brilliant time after that.
10-15-2018, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just went through TSA PreCheck at St Louis and Colorado Springs with K-1, DFA*50/1.4, three FA Limiteds, FGZ540 flash, metal tabletop tripod, extra L-Ion batteries, a charger and a cord in a Domke F3 bag. Also had a laptop and IPad*, chargers for them, a bunch of pens and pencils, earbuds, and some other stuff in a briefcase.

I didn’t have to take off any clothes or shoes or take anything out of my bags.

* They said if I had two laptops I would have to remove them.
Can I please travel with you !
Have been pulled out of line for a tuna sandwich, boots with metal in them, microset of screwdrivers, a wooden box with a 3 piece home golf putter set, and in the 70’s I converted an old typewriter case into a camera case...that got me pulled over into a private area with a non-English security guard. Luckily, never missed my boarding.
10-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Can I please travel with you !
Have been pulled out of line for a tuna sandwich, boots with metal in them, microset of screwdrivers, a wooden box with a 3 piece home golf putter set, and in the 70’s I converted an old typewriter case into a camera case...that got me pulled over into a private area with a non-English security guard. Luckily, never missed my boarding.
get TSA-Pre. Passport + $89 and it’s like the old days except for the body scan.

10-16-2018, 04:06 AM   #53
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
get TSA-Pre. Passport + $89 and it’s like the old days except for the body scan.
I agree, check it out:

TSA Pre✓®

Keep moving. TSA Pre✓® saves you time and stress.
With a 5 year, $85 membership, you can speed through security and don’t need to remove your:
shoes, laptops, liquids, belts and light jackets.

TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport. All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening.

TSA Pre✓® | Transportation Security Administration

TSA Pre✓® is currently available at more than 200 airports with 54 participating airlines nationwide.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/map

The following credit cards and loyalty programs cover the TSA Pre✓® application fee as a member benefit, provide a statement credit towards the application fee, or allow members to use rewards points to pay for the TSA Pre✓® application fee.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/credit-cards-offer

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-16-2018 at 04:17 AM.
10-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For those travelling through the UK with film, it's almost impossible to avoid it going through the scanner. Even if you take it out of the boxes and plastic tubs, stick it in a transparent bag and hand it to them, they'll just tell you to send it through the scanner.

RE: Monopods - in the UK security usually work for the airport and not the carrier - their rules apply and not those of the carrier (US carriers & flights to the USA may have additional security at the gate). For really controversial situations, it's the aircraft Captain who has the final say, waltzing up to the gate with a monopod or tripod hanging off your bag is likely to raise some eyebrows.

The biggest problem I have is the conversation with my Girlfriend if my bag gets pulled and they start rummaging around and tipping stuff out: "Whats' that?", "a camera", "and that?", "a camera", "and that?", "another camera"... I'd worked out that if I take duplicate cameras (i.e. two chrome MXs - one for mono, one for colour), every time I pulled one out to use it, it would look like the same camera. I hadn't accounted for security giving my bag extra attention.

Oh, and leave your Zenit Photosniper rifle stock at home...

Last edited by johnha; 10-23-2018 at 06:47 PM.