Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #1

Shutterbug Printed Magazine is dead....

I just called the shutterbug subscription line to find out when the next issue was going to come out. The person on the phone told me that the June 2018 issue would be the last printed issue. I was not aware that they folded the print issue. Does anyone have any info on the Digital issue?

07-16-2018, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Didn't the person on the phone tell you? As far as i can see there is only the website. Shutterbug Home | Shutterbug

It seems that's it: Shutterbug Kills Print Magazine, Goes Web-Only After 45 Years
07-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still waiting to find out what they are going to do with those of us that had subscriptions. I had most of a two year subscription pending. I suppose I'm hosed. Same thing happened to me when Popular Photography went under. I don't think I'm buying anymore magazine subscriptions, which doesn't help the print media industry, unfortunately.
07-16-2018, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
I don't think I'm buying anymore magazine subscriptions, which doesn't help the print media industry, unfortunately.
Sadly, I think that's exactly what they want. Those of us buying and reading printed media are a fast-shrinking group. I suspect most publishers saw the writing on the wall years ago, and would rather focus on digital distribution alone...

07-16-2018, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, we're also seeing the same effect with newspapers - big push to read the digital editions. More and more content in the digital edition than what's in the paper edition. Too bad - I like to have the actual reading material in my hand.
07-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Cycle world went to a heavy paper glossy format but I think they are going to do the bi-monthly thing now.
07-16-2018, 09:23 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I propose a toast to Gutenberg and the 26 warriors who have brought down the walls of ignorance and darkness - they remain our greatest tool in a continuing quest for education, enlightenment, and a hope for a better future.

07-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm still waiting to find out what they are going to do with those of us that had subscriptions. I had most of a two year subscription pending. I suppose I'm hosed. Same thing happened to me when Popular Photography went under. I don't think I'm buying anymore magazine subscriptions, which doesn't help the print media industry, unfortunately.
I don't think there's much you can do for the print media industry, Grog, and to be honest, there's not a helluva lot you can do for magazines in digital form either.

Not only have all their readerships dropped off a cliff, but the advertising (which would have been the majority of funding for many publications) has all gone to buying Google ads, likes on Twitter, etc.
07-16-2018, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't think there's much you can do for the print media industry, Grog, and to be honest, there's not a helluva lot you can do for magazines in digital form either.

Not only have all their readerships dropped off a cliff, but the advertising (which would have been the majority of funding for many publications) has all gone to buying Google ads, likes on Twitter, etc.
No doubt you are right. It is a shame though, I have always enjoyed magazines and books. They don't need charging, don't constantly nag to be updated, and don't shatter if I sit on one

It is something I am reluctantly adapting to.
07-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No doubt you are right. It is a shame though, I have always enjoyed magazines and books. They don't need charging, don't constantly nag to be updated, and don't shatter if I sit on one

It is something I am reluctantly adapting to.
For us consumers, we're in a bit of a Golden Age where we can get so much established music and writing on Spotify and Kindle, but those artists and writers had made their cash already through conventional means.

It's the emerging talent that won't be able to earn a living through the miniscule royalties of today's arrangements.

For photographers, editorial work has dropped right off. The newspapers and magazines (including Sports Illustrated) all laying off their staff photographers, because it's easier to buy library pics from an agency subscription.
07-17-2018, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shutterbug is still available through a number of digital venues and I think you can get individual digital subscriptions for Kindle and Nook. There is still lots of advertising in these digital versions but I imagine the rates are much lower than in the past.
07-17-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I propose a toast to Gutenberg and the 26 warriors who have brought down the walls of ignorance and darkness - they remain our greatest tool in a continuing quest for education, enlightenment, and a hope for a better future.
The Buddhist monks in Korea, (then Koryo, or Georyo in the new anglicization,) had movable type for printing scriptures at least 215 years prior before Gutenberg. While King Sejong had his scholars invent the Korean alphabet beginning in 1420 and finishing in 1435, the king then encouraged everyone to learn it after its release in 1436. During this time period he also encouraged more widespread use of movable metal type.
Now you can say you learned something on the forums today, and it was something that your teachers probably never told you in school.

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 07-17-2018 at 05:56 PM.
07-17-2018, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The Buddhist monks in Korea, (then Koryo, or Georyo in the new anglicization,) had movable type for printing scriptures at least 215 years prior before Gutenberg. While King Sejong had his scholars invent the Korean alphabet beginning in 1420 and finishing in 1445, the king then encouraged everyone to learn it after its release in 1436. During this time period he also encouraged more widespread use of movable metal type.
Now you can say you learned something on the forums today, and it was something that your teachers probably never told you in school.
And in China before that. But Gutenberg was far more influential, and had the advantage of far fewer characters to work with :-)
07-17-2018, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

And in China before that. But Gutenberg was far more influential, and had the advantage of far fewer characters to work with :-)
Han China was actually part of Korea for much of that period, and the Korean Alphabet only has 24 characters as it did when King Sejong had his scholars develop it. The Monks were a major source of the Court literati in most of East Asia in that era so when the monks all wrote and read Chinese characters, that was what was printed. I have seen no information on Chinese printing presses prior to that time but I studied Korea, so that is what I know. So it isn't less letters, it is just the Western-centric history lessons that often overlook other culture's advances.

Another great book on that subject is "lies my Teacher Told Me." I don't remember the author but it is a bit of an eye opener.
07-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I propose a toast to Gutenberg and the 26 warriors who have brought down the walls of ignorance and darkness
Are you referring to the legend of King Cadmus who brought the alphabet from Phoenica to Thebes, who planted dragon's teeth (letters) from which sprung warriors?