Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is good news indeed. Now we only need to hope that the industry (importers and retailers) will pass on the reduction. When I look at prices in the Netherlands, the similarity suggests that these guys may not be that interested in competing on prices....

07-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
According to the Economic Partnership Agreement between the European Union and Japan the tarifs will be lifted from 5,0% to 0,0% in three years.

See page 90:

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2018/april/tradoc_156786.pdf
07-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I think import duty for lenses is 6,7% today.
And this is applied before tax. So if lenses are included in the deal that at least lowers used lens prices from Japan by about 8%.
07-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #19

If I was the cynical type, I would suggest that prices would rise by the same amount at the same time! But yes, I'm sure that we, the consumers will see this saving ....

07-18-2018, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Albums
However, there is one important thing to consider: only Japanese-produced and originating equipment will enter the EU duty free. Much photo equipment is currently being produced in China, and Chinese photo equipment is not covered by the EU-Japan agreement. Chinese goods cannot enjoy the benefits of this agreement. So maybe the Japanese manufacturers will reopen their factories in Japan and produce all their goods in Japan again?
07-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Time Traveller Quote
... So maybe the Japanese manufacturers will reopen their factories in Japan and produce all their goods in Japan again?
If so, I guess the price will go back up to the roof even with out EU taxes!
They might have to ship them back to Japan and export it out as product from Japan.

Most of Pentax gears are produced in Philipin? I remember they assemble in some where southeast asia, And I am not sure if those countries are in TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) pack? if so, it would be no problem to ship products back to japan (avoide tax) and export to EU member countries (avoid another tax) as product from Japan. Or you guys can just order used Pentax gears from Japan. a lot of them here.

I also hope to see more good deal from EU in near future.